How to keep German Graubrot fresh

From what I understand, if you've baked it yourself, wrap the loaf in a tea towel -not the terrycloth kind - towel and let it sit for at least 48 hours before you slice it.room temperature for 48 to 72 hours before slicing. The ideal thing would be to use a vacuum sealer to get all the air out, then it will keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge.

But that's a really difficult bread to make! And where I am up in Isaan I can't get the proper flours...maybe in the big cities.

Sounds intriguing and delicious but I am not clever enough. I buy it from a supermarket in Chiang Mai, and it is rather good. Beggars can´t be choosers.

sounds are good then it will better instrument what you have....

we buy a dozen loaves of "Zwiebelbrot" (rye-onion bread), have them cut at the German bakery, vacuum seal it, put it in the freezer and thaw it loaf by loaf as needed. after thawing one minute in the toaster... et voilà!

same same and not different with Laugenbrezel and Laugenbrötchen.

^^

yepp, that's the way to go.

Works for almost all kinds of bread (Brot) and bread rolls (Brötchen).

And if you've forgotten it in the freezer after some months, you can still make breadcrumbs (Paniermehl) from it. smile.png 

But you'll need a "real" freezer, the iceboxes in these cheapish refrigerators will keep the bread fresh only for a few days.

• Like 1

Interesting topic.

My dad swears that when you freeze it after freshly baking it ( letting it cool off first though ) and thaw it, it will taste just like when it was frozen. I tried it and disagree...it does taste good but the the crispy outside is not there anymore.

I will give it a try with the teatowel and also try the vacuum sealing.

tried it and disagree...it does taste good but the the crispy outside is not there anymore....

Try to "bake" it in or on a toaster for a few seconds, instead of defrosting the bread at room temperature.

I use something like this:

russell-hobbs-toaster-purple-passion-149

Edited by roban

The toaster option will only work for sliced bread, right?

Do you think / know if I put a whole frozen bread in the oven at low heat ( or maybe even high heat? ), that it will preserve the crispiness, but at the same time keep the inside soft?

I would defrost the whole bread in a refrigerator and when it's almost finished/soft, put it in a baking oven/grill at medium to high temp for a few minutes.

But it's always better to slice the bread before you freeze it.