Best Location In Korat To Live

Gumballl

Nakhon Ratchasima, or Korat as everyone calls it, is a huge province. My wife lives in the Chalermprakert area, and would like to buy property there. For me, the area is a little remote (20km from "The Mall").

Where would be a nice area to live near Chalermprakert where my wife could buy some property, and where I could have a house built with amenities such as city water, UBC, Hi-Speed internet, and trash pickup?

Of course, if you are not familiar with this area, where else in Korat would you recommend?

I have always lived near or in cities all my life, and the notion of living in BFE does not appeal to me, but then on the other hand, neither does the center of Korat because of all of the noise and pollution.

Nakhon Ratchasima, or Korat as everyone calls it, is a huge province. My wife lives in the Chalermprakert area, and would like to buy property there. For me, the area is a little remote (20km from "The Mall").

Where would be a nice area to live near Chalermprakert where my wife could buy some property, and where I could have a house built with amenities such as city water, UBC, Hi-Speed internet, and trash pickup?

Of course, if you are not familiar with this area, where else in Korat would you recommend?

I have always lived near or in cities all my life, and the notion of living in BFE does not appeal to me, but then on the other hand, neither does the center of Korat because of all of the noise and pollution.

The best way is to rent in or near to the city and get a feeling for the place first. Do not buy anything till you know what you are doing.

I'll second that advice.

And add

That you should always keep control of the money supply. If buying a house get a 30 year .

lease back as your ladies family probably own the land you intend to build on.

The further from civilization the more expensive it gets.

Don't depend on getting all the luxuries of UBC and Landline Telephone/Internet out in the sticks.

However if you have lived in rural britain you should know, otherwise stay in town.

I'll second that advice.

And add

That you should always keep control of the money supply. If buying a house get a 30 year .

lease back as your ladies family probably own the land you intend to build on.

The further from civilization the more expensive it gets.

Don't depend on getting all the luxuries of UBC and Landline Telephone/Internet out in the sticks.

However if you have lived in rural britain you should know, otherwise stay in town.

UBC you can get everywhere its satalite, the others you can work around even in the sticks.

• 1 year later...

Rent first. I rented an apartment at the Crystal Palace (next to the Mall) for 6 months before I bought my house. It takes time to get to know the city and all the neighborhoods. It also depends on how much money you want to spend. The closer in to city center the more you will pay as land gets more expensive closer to the city.

• 9 months later...

The wife and I are in Chok Chai, 30 km south of Korat city. She had a house here already when we met.

I like it here, it is quiet, yet has good markets (early, mid-day, and evening) and I can get most of what I need here as far as hardware, building supplies, etc.

And it does not take long to run to Korat for Big C, Tesco-Lotus, etc. if needed.

There are plenty of new developments here, active and dormant.

The best way is to rent in or near to the city and get a feeling for the place first. Do not buy anything till you know what you are doing.

Agree about renting first.

I lived in a town 30 km north of Korat and although a nice little town it got old after a few months. After a few months I found myself going to Korat more and more just to get away from the boredom and so I could talk with another farang. Some people can live that type of lifestyle but I like an option of things I can do everyday.

I now live in Bangkok.