Hi, i have read all the recent news on the Visa update and the issues with tourist visas and in-out now being an issue.

i do however find myself in a bit of a problematic situation now, in that:

i travel to Thailand with  my wife and child (thai) for 2-3 month periods and we then return to the UK for the same period of time

In Thailand i never work and have sufficient funds to support myself and my family, we have a car house motorbike here. My income from home simply allows me to take extended holidays away from the UK.

I previously travelled to Thailand on a mult entry tourist visa but found that it wasnt good in terms of we like to visit surrounding countries and if i left for example after 2 weeks of renewing the visa it 'wasted' an entry that could have been for 3 months. Therefore i have found the 30 day visas fine and just before they expire i go visit cambodia or singapore etc for a few days, sometimes on my own sometimes with the Mrs and kid.

My 30 day visa expires on the 9th August and i have booked a 1 day trip to Cambodia my issue is that when i come back i have 10+ stamps showing 30 day entries into the country...

i would also need to do another visa run around the same time in September and my flight back to the UK is then on the 7th October

When i go back to the UK we should have x2 settlement visa's for my wife and child i dont expect any issues with this.

My concern is that i am a tourist within Thailand and do have a return flight but it isnt until the 7th October! i am concerned that trying to get back in with 1 30 day stamp is risky enough but to try for two (or an extension) is pushing my luck a little far.

I don't however see another alternative at the moment, i cannot apply for the marrage visa as i dont put more than 100k bht into the thai bank account as we rairly use it, we both have joint uk bank accounts and credit cards with plenty of cash in but i assume this wont help...

i am just wondering what the best advice is going to be - go home isnt an option at the moment as we have just had another child (5 days old!) and i really dont fancy going back to the uk and missing out...

if i can apply for any other type of visa or any other suggestions would be much appreciated. i am not looking to cheat the system or use any type of visa as its not meant to be i just want to stay here for the planned 3 months we had and then go back to the uk.

advice much appreciated

You should get a Non-immigrant O visa for the reason of having Thai wife and childs, in Laos. No need to show finances, read or search forum for the documents needed.

To not waste visas buy re-entry permit at the airport or immigration. 1000 Bt.

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife at immigration. You will need your marriage certificate (plus copy) and copies of your wife's house book an ID card. She will need to go with you when you apply.

If you wanted to make a short trip out of the country during the 60 days you could get a re-entry permit. 

thanks for all the replies much appreciated, i like the idea of going to Laos to get a O visa and booked a flight for Monday, i have all the docs sat infront of me but i have just read several other stories on TV about people doing this in Savannakhet as Wayne has also posted... i have booked my flights to Vientiane (oops)

Can i still get the O visa in Vientiane without showing the monies in the bank account?  i have taken copies of my uk bank account and wage slips to show i get sufficient monies coming in every month but get the feeling this will be ignored.

if i can't get the visa in Vientiane then i guess its a bit of a journey to Savannakhet which is going to be a real pain as my flights and hotel are non-changeable or refundable!!

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife at immigration. You will need your marriage certificate (plus copy) and copies of your wife's house book an ID card. She will need to go with you when you apply.

If you wanted to make a short trip out of the country during the 60 days you could get a re-entry permit. 

Like the idea but my wife just had a baby and isnt really in the best of condtions to take a trip to immigration before the time runs out :(

Vientianne will only issue a single non-O, Savanakhet will issue a multiple non-O.

Wiht a letter from a doctor stating your wife had just a baby and can't travel you should be able to get a 60 day extension. Also print some photo's of you and the baby.and mother. It is even reason for a medical extensio for reason of having to take care of your wife.

• Like 2

Vientianne will only issue a single non-O, Savanakhet will issue a multiple non-O.

Wiht a letter from a doctor stating your wife had just a baby and can't travel you should be able to get a 60 day extension. Also print some photo's of you and the baby.and mother. It is even reason for a medical extensio for reason of having to take care of your wife.

thank you for the quick reply i am only staying here until we get the settlement visa's so single entry should be ok i guess although a little in-flexible.

if i do leave for whatever reason i presume i could just apply for another one before i come back?

edit: the 60 day extension will be about 5 days short of what i need, i think getting the visa will be best and i've never been to Vientianne :)

Edited by apb1919

Good luck and congratulations with the baby, and do as  Mario2008 said, get a signed letter from the doc and a picture with your wife and baby, you will find the immigration are not asbad as some people on here make out and you will find them very helpful.