Ducati Monster 821 to replace 796 in Thailand. Soon...

Shurup

Ok if you don't want to believe my first-hand info. Just wait for the motorshow then.

Is it produced here or still imported?

Sorry bramds, your 1st hand info came from a sales girl, you said it yourself. Sales people are known to pull the info out of their <deleted> at times, also many have zero knowledge about the bikes they're selling.

Not trying to discredit you but like it was mentioned above, elsewhere in the world, the new monster costs less than the Hyper. And yes I'm talking about the locally made bikes.

Never said she was a sales girl wink.png

Maybe they hike the price of the Hyper 821 too?!

While a monster 821 > 500k kinda sucks I can believe it. Because that is the sweet spot for selling these bikes in Thailand. If people are paying it... go grab the money.

The new "SR2" monster - which is really the 796 with some stripes, coloring,maybe some other farkles, I don't know - costs nearly 500k baht. Sometimes more than 500k, depending on the options. Which is way out of range for what you get, a plain old 796. It's a much worse bike than either an 821 Hyper or monster. But they're selling very well.

Maybe they hike the price of the Hyper 821 too?!

While a monster 821 > 500k kinda sucks I can believe it. Because that is the sweet spot for selling these bikes in Thailand. If people are paying it... go grab the money.

The new "SR2" monster - which is really the 796 with some stripes, coloring,maybe some other farkles, I don't know - costs nearly 500k baht. Sometimes more than 500k, depending on the options. Which is way out of range for what you get, a plain old 796. It's a much worse bike than either an 821 Hyper or monster. But they're selling very well.

Thais dont have a clue about these things the only thing they see is Ducati; about 2 months later they will pop up on the 2nd hand market.

Pricing will be intressting indeed for the 821; but looks like Ducati doesnt care too much to disappoint their customers with these stange pricing strategies as we have seen in the past.

However i still like the air-cooled engine and want to keep it; they have its own nice character.

So they're going to drop the price of the 821 Monster (compared to the 796) a bit in other markets, but will raise the price of the domestically-produced one by 10% in LOS? Maybe, but as I said I doubt it- Ducati does seem to have a strange pricing structure compared to the Japanese brands, though. Anythjng's possible, but I'm looking at it from a comparison of the current pricing they've been going with.

• 2 weeks later...

Overpriced compared to US and European markets in my opinion. 100k THB more than in these markets and lets not forget, this is a locally produced bike.

But good that they finally bring the newer models to the local market! They kinda timed this with the Scrambler launch I think as the Scrambler takes over the demand for the 803cc air cooled engine.

^

There's a bit more to it than that, but the main difference is that the 899 is built in LOS and the big brother is built in Bologna. Note, though, that the standard Panigale is 1.4m- the 'S' (with electronic suspension, along with other goodies) is 1.8m.

Edited by RubberSideDown

^

There's a bit more to it than that, but the main difference is that the 899 is built in LOS and the big brother is built in Bologna. Note, though, that the standard Panigale is 1.4m- the 'S' (with electronic suspension, along with other goodies) is 1.8m.

Righto. Import tax on the 1199. That's where all that money goes.

What happened to the Hyperstrada, see the list in post 188??

Has apparently disappeared from the Thai market?! They're still selling the SP as an import, however. Wish they'd start making it here, would be a nice upgrade.

In my opinion those thinking of getting the monster should seriosuly consider the yamaha mt - 07 at 299999 baht .Exellent value thumbsup.gif

Well you are comparing a 75hp bike(MT07) with a 112hp one (the new Monster 821).

You should use the Fz09 as comparison that have 115hp, so more the same power wise.

The MT07 is more a competitor to the Kawa ER6n.

But okay the MT07 gets very good reviews all over the board but some says it's small.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Checked one out the other day. Very nice and really tempted to get one. I wonder if they will be selling the "stripe" version. Has a few extras and adjustable front suspension which would be a plus for me. I guess they have to get rid of their old 796 stock first as there is a stripe version on that?

I wondter if the performance version is worth it? An extra 80k for termis, a tail tidy, tank protector and what else?

Edited by Bung

Can anybody comment on how hot the engine / exhaust gets and if you found it a noticeable problem? Particularly in Thailand.

If you ride in shorts and slippers you will feel the heat.

It's the same engine as in a Hyper and I don't remember reading any heat issues. But then I have no heat issues on my Diavel. Yes it gets hot but there are no issues.

Cheers shurup. I've read the diavel is another contender in the hot ducati hot exhaust department. Have you been stuck in traffic in jeans and jacket?

Its hard to gauge from reviews what is a real problem and what is just a minor issue.

Yeah I went through BKK a number of times during rush hour and was stuck in traffic. It gets hot due to its side mounted rads, but doesn't overheat.

I always wear my Kevlar jeans and a black perforated leather jacket when riding it. When stuck in traffic I feel the outside heat but I don't feel the heat from the bike.

On my occasional 1km trips to the 711 in my mooban, when I wear shorts, I feel how hot it is on the exhaust side.

Saying that I can't say it's a good bike for BKK, far from it, it wider than some others, heavier, longer, the hydraulic clutch is a bitc* to use in a constant stop and go traffic (but you get used to it after a while). Good that I don't live in BKK and the bike is a pure joy on the open HWY.

I checked out the new M821 when dropping my bike at the dealer a few days ago. Like it a lot and if I didn't get a Diavel but something else instead, I would have been really upset now that I didn't wait for the new Monster. But I also couldn't have waited for 9 months until Duc TH finally brought it here, since making a decision to get a new bike.

Shurup now you got the bike for quite a while, would you like to do a long term review? The Diavel always fascinated me in some weird way :)

Regarding the Monster 821, a few people complain about heat on the right foot because of the exhaust, e.g. this reviewer:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee5r7Wy0bYI

But to judge if the heat would be too much for you, you gotta do a test drive. It's too much for some and no problem for others. People have different gear and pain points :)