Ducati Monster 821 to replace 796 in Thailand. Soon...

Shurup

Actually the FZ here is 435, not 450, not that it makes much difference.

I agree that if you solely base on US pricing, then FZ09 is expensive here. But I don't see that FZ09 and Versys can be described as 'comparable' in any way other than pricing. Versys: 210 kg steel frame tourer 650 cc 65hp-45 ft/lb parallel twin; FZ09: 190 kg streetfighter ally frame 850 cc 110hp-65 ft/lb triple. That said, Versys is an excellent bike, particularly the latest model. If I didn't live in central BKK (and do most of my riding in s**t traffic) I'd give a lot of thought to a Versys or V-Strom 650.

Anyway, as you say, we all enjoy different bikes and long may that continue. To bring back on topic - I'm sure lots of people will also enjoy the Monster 821. I was amazed to read in one review that Ducati has sold more than 250,000 Monsters since it was launched 20 years ago!

If we ignore the US pricing, 435k for the FZ09 is a spot on comparing to other bikes in a same class. Z800 is just under 400K and it comes with no ABS just like the FZ09. Ducati Monsters (800 cc) depending on the model and options can be had cheaper or more expensive than the FZ09, so 435k for this bike is a good price. The only thing is lacking is the dealer network in Thailand.

I've been reading more and had some considerations about the other Ducati models (new and second hand) and from various reviews the Hyperstrada looks like a great bike, I just can't bring myself to pay 500k for a Dirtbike style even though it's Ducati brand and comes with lots of options and features. In the second hand department there aren't many Ducati bikes to choose from other than monsters.

So the wait continues.

Still want to test ride the z800 and maybe Yamaha will step up in the big bike game soon.

Sent from one of my mobiles, whatever mobile it is.

Because you mention second hand, I've seen two or three Hypermotards sold second hand in Chiang Mai, save about 40-50k THB on new if you get one of these, they're only a few months old. Thai people buying them, finding it's not for them for whatever reason, and selling them again. I assume they're either new to biking and find the Hyper too much to handle, or they're just following some fashion idea and switch to the next fashion bike, KTM, Triumph, Harley, whatever.

Monster 821 hopefully coming soon, back on topic.

Which classifieds Web sites do you check for the 2nd hand bikes? I only check the bahtsold.com as the TV classified section is full of BS and businesses postings in private ads?

shurup i can confirm that there are plenty of 2nd hand hypers around like nikster mentioned mostly hardly used. but you need to search on thai sites only thais buying something which they cant use or afford and need to get rid off fast.

Which classifieds Web sites do you check for the 2nd hand bikes? I only check the bahtsold.com as the TV classified section is full of BS and businesses postings in private ads?

mocyc.com market

http://www.thaisecondhand.com/

and for all ducati forums in thailand.

also check big bike shops in bangkok, can find legal ducatis sometime. some at facebook.

good luck.

Edited by ll2

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a comparison table with the specs of all the bikes that I consider that are within my price range (under 500K).

Including the z800, F800R, Monster 796 and added Hypermotard there too.

Hypermotard seems the best out of the bunch, combining the best of what all other bikes have to offer, in one package at a still affordable price.

Its looks are growing on me each and if there was no Monster 821 over the horizon, I would have probably owned one by now. However once I've set my mind on a new Monster, I know I wouldn't be happy riding something else without waiting for that bike to arrive and checking it out and then would kick myself for not waiting and think about the ways to upgrade - lost money.

Still no updates from that sales girl from Ducati Korat.

I've made a comparison table with the specs of all the bikes that I consider that are within my price range (under 500K).

Hypermotard seems the best out of the bunch, combining the best of what all other bikes have to offer, in one package at a still affordable price.

Its looks are growing on me each and if there was no Monster 821 over the horizon, I would have probably owned one by now. However once I've set my mind on a new Monster, I know I wouldn't be happy riding something else without waiting for that bike to arrive and checking it out and then would kick myself for not waiting and think about the ways to upgrade - lost money.

Here's a great deal … (not).

2nd hand 821 Hypermotard for 'only' 549,000 because it includes 100,000 of mods.

http://www.ducatibikersthailand.com/board/index.php?topic=17355.0

Personally I think the Hypermotard is a much better looking bike than the Monster (I don't like the round headlight or the stock twin pipe exhaust). But if you're not in a hurry then wait to see what the 821 Monster looks like in the flesh.

As I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada at the moment until the 16th of this months, I went to my local dealer to check out some bikes and have a little chat.

As it turns out, they just received the new Monster 821 but it's still in the back in the shipping crate. Will be put in the show room early next week but damn! it will be a few days too late for me. I'll be back here for a week the end of Sept so will see and possibly take it for a spin then (if it's not freezing outside by then - possible in Alberta).

Also the sales guy told me the new Monster 821 is the exact sitting position as the new Monster 1200 and there was one on the floor in the show room, as well as the 796 which I took for a ride in Korat.

Well in my opinion the sitting position on 1200 was a little more comfortable than on 796 so if the 821 feels the same as 1200, it's an improvement, but not a huge one. I still think it's not good enough for any longer rides.

I also tried the Hypermotard and Hyperstrada and I love them more and more. The motard was a basic one but with 1100 engine, sit was not very comfy, but the strada had an upgraded sit (touring sit?? or maybe it comes as a standard on it??) and this was the most comfortable bike I ever tried!

I think I'm now sold on Hypermotard (*with a touring sit), but still want to see the new Monster 821 just so I don't have any doubts.

Also checked out the BMW bikes. Amazingly the F800R feels better than the monster, it would probably be better for touring too as there are lots of room behind the rider to strap the luggage.

Looking at the bikes from a ease of cleaning point of view, BMW will be very easy to clean, all the wiring and small hoses are tucked away. On Ducati though, there are a lot of junk inside the engine compartment, wiring and hoses and all that and no room to reach inside to clean other than using the tooth brush. It only takes one ride in the rain to get a whole bike covered in dirt, will probably take a whole day to clean the Ducati too. biggrin.png

Priorities have now shifted, while before it was either z800 or a monster, now it's either a Hypermotard or a F800R. Decisions, decisions.....

Edited by Shurup

Here's a great deal … (not).

2nd hand 821 Hypermotard for 'only' 549,000 because it includes 100,000 of mods.

http://www.ducatibikersthailand.com/board/index.php?topic=17355.0

Personally I think the Hypermotard is a much better looking bike than the Monster (I don't like the round headlight or the stock twin pipe exhaust). But if you're not in a hurry then wait to see what the 821 Monster looks like in the flesh.

Would have been a great deal if it was a brand new bike with these upgrades and for this price... I'd consider it if it was 500K

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/almost-new-ducati-hyperstrada-181464?doqs=1

How is it possible that the bike has 4000km on the clock and no owners in the Green Book? blink.png

A demo bike with that many clicks?

I guess he just have not received the registration documents from the dealer. Ducati is kinda slow in that process i waited around 6 month. But i doubt that you can be the first owner in the greenbook as it will be always the buyer/ or loan company if on loan. So even though it is still not issued it will be still in the buyers name and then transfered to the new owner.

How much can a seller expect to get back the for accessories? Don't most buyers prefer a stock bike?

Whatever people are willing to pay for it.

The rule of thumb is, nothing. I'd prefer a new bike, and chances that the mods somebody made are the exact mods I would want to make are very small.

It's like buying a house, painting all the walls pink, then asking the next buyer to pay more because the walls are pink.

How much can a seller expect to get back the for accessories? Don't most buyers prefer a stock bike?

Whatever people are willing to pay for it.

The rule of thumb is, nothing. I'd prefer a new bike, and chances that the mods somebody made are the exact mods I would want to make are very small.

It's like buying a house, painting all the walls pink, then asking the next buyer to pay more because the walls are pink.

Yep there's a 795 on classifieds for 580,000. Loads of mods and low mileage, but seriously?

• Like 1

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bigbikemarket

check here. there are good deals there.

Thanks, bookmarked the link for future needs.

Decided to wait for a new bike though. Went back to my local bike dealer in Edmonton and drolled over the bikes again. The new Monster 821 is in the back and ready but they won't put it into the show room , waiting for the official Canada wide introduction (or something along these lines the sales guy told me) on Aug 16th (the day I'm flying back to Thailand). He won't show it to me but said it's identical to the new Monster 1200 (except for the engine of course), More comfortable riding position, larger (aluminum) tank...

Will wait and see it and maybe test ride it. Maybe even worth waiting for it in Thailand as all the Thai Ducatis are the current year, lots of next year models in Canada already so worth waiting for them in Thailand.

BTW the price of the Monster 821 has been announced in Thailand: 779,000.00 BHT clap2.gif

Hope you're joking? sad.png Or I hope it's import and so the Thai models will show up later?

Unbelievable, the Monster 1200 goes for the 899,000, which is so much better (engine, suspension, swingarm, probably more...)Who in their right mind would get the 821 if the 1200 costs just 120,000 more?

^ seems to be correct if you google Monster 821 799,000.00 it's all over Facebook, Pantip etc.

Must be imported, no way that's made locally when you look at the price of the 796 and HyperMotard.

That must be it, if it hasn't been officially announced in Canada yet, no way the Thailand would get it first.

I also checked the Ducati Thailand and there's nothing regarding the new Monster.

Sales girl told me the next year models always arrive after the new year starts, not before and someone else confirmed this as well... so phewwww.... waiting for the official announcement.

Shurup this is offcially annoucned by Ducati Thailand already; so what you want to wait for? It's clearly they are importing it; so it doesnt really worth it. They might assembly it locally somewhen but this is NOT happening fast; as can see from the 899.

Edited by Hili

799 k for monster 821?

just f...k that man!

there are many better models for that price if you are not a fanatic monster guy and even if you are fanatic, 796 is OK anyway.

if these price rumor is true, possibly, they import first then maybe produce here later.

i was expecting less than 500 k around same prices as hypermotard at max which technically not many difference if hyper is not better than monster 821.

• Like 1

they are already making 821 in thailand but all are going for export at the moment ,, reckon it will be available here within months as a thai made model for 499k

beware though that cost of many spares for ducatis in EU have recently risen by up to 40% since VW/Audi took over ,and they are using bully boy copyright laws to restrict alternative s, they are now gouging the owners .. i own 3 ducatis but not likely now to buy any more since the germans took over.

they are already making 821 in thailand but all are going for export at the moment ,, reckon it will be available here within months as a thai made model for 499k

Where is your information coming from? I'd really like to believe they will build the M821 in Thailand, was very disappointed to hear the 799K baht announcement.

beware though that cost of many spares for ducatis in EU have recently risen by up to 40% since VW/Audi took over ,and they are using bully boy copyright laws to restrict alternative s, they are now gouging the owners .. i own 3 ducatis but not likely now to buy any more since the germans took over.

as far as is know the ducati factory in thailand only producing for the asian market.....

I'd wait for an official price announcement. If you can spot a Monster 821 somewhere around the world, check the "made in ..." label - that would answer the question whether it's made in Thailand.

I don't think the Duc factory Thailand is only for Asia - why would it be, and were does that info come from? Doesn't make much sense on paper. All the other factories, Honda, Kawa, BMW, produce for the world market.

There is currently a weird promotion for the 899 Panigale + Termi slip on (50k value) at 749,000. That's quite a bit less than the fully imported price of 999,000, as it was before. But it's still more than I would have expected for the Thai made model.

Hypermotard in the USA costs $2,000 more than the Monster 821 so the Monster should cost less than the Hyper if made here. I don't see the 799k on the official pages & will hold off on judgement until then. The Monster 795/796 is Ducati's best seller in Thailand. It's going to be replaced by the 821. To then make it cost 360k more would not make sense. Maybe they'll have the 796 and imported 821 in parallel until they ramp up local production; the 799k is then basically for all those people who have the money and just want it, similar to the 899 Panigale for 999k.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 2

^ Hili said it was officially announced by Ducati thailand, but I couldn't see any news regarding M821 on the official Web site, so I don't know, lots of conflicting info. Better wait until their website at least updates with the new model.

I'd wait for an official price announcement. If you can spot a Monster 821 somewhere around the world, check the "made in ..." label - that would answer the question whether it's made in Thailand.

I don't think the Duc factory Thailand is only for Asia - why would it be, and were does that info come from? Doesn't make much sense on paper. All the other factories, Honda, Kawa, BMW, produce for the world market.

There is currently a weird promotion for the 899 Panigale + Termi slip on (50k value) at 749,000. That's quite a bit less than the fully imported price of 999,000, as it was before. But it's still more than I would have expected for the Thai made model.

Hypermotard in the USA costs $2,000 more than the Monster 821 so the Monster should cost less than the Hyper if made here. I don't see the 799k on the official pages & will hold off on judgement until then. The Monster 795/796 is Ducati's best seller in Thailand. It's going to be replaced by the 821. To then make it cost 360k more would not make sense. Maybe they'll have the 796 and imported 821 in parallel until they ramp up local production; the 799k is then basically for all those people who have the money and just want it, similar to the 899 Panigale for 999k.

Weird deal on the Panigale 899 for sure. Saw it today at the car and bike show/sale at Bitec. 749k with Termignoni exhaust. I was really interested so I double checked a few things with the sales staff, including if it was restricted.

The reply was interesting. The sales girl told me it's not restricted and they've tested it to 270kph at a track in Thailand. Then she told me it had to be changed from the Japanese version as the Jap version came with a huge exhaust (she had a picture of an 899 with a MASSIVE side slung exhaust similar to the gsxr1000 on her iPhone) but she said they had changed to the underslung termignoni for Thailand, as the Jap version makes 105hp but the Thai version makes 150hp due to the exhaust change. I don't think the exhaust change can make 45hp difference!

Very odd, she confirmed the ecu was Euro spec and it makes 150hp, but I was left feeling nervous when she started talking about Japanese spec and 105hp before I mentioned Japanese restrictions. I really hope they're not selling bikes made for the Japanese market in Thailand. It's a lovely bike and I was close to putting down the 50k deposit until talk of 105hp and changes from the Jap spec emerged.

Maybe it was a language thing, one of my Thai staff is into bikes so I'll ask him to call them tomorrow and get the full story but 749k with a Termignoni is a great deal in my opinion, this bike has ABS, 3 stage DTC, Brembo's, Sachs shock etc. Very nice compact bike, not a really extreme riding position either.

Really hope they're not doing a Honda here. I'd hate to think they're selling the version intended for the Japanese market here in Thailand (hence the changed exhaust and reduced price). Anyone know the real story?

• Like 1