Phuket's Surin Beach 'to be cleared completely'

webfact

Phuket's Surin Beach 'to be cleared completely'
Anthika Muangrod

1406549450_1-org.jpg
First, all the structures on the right of this picture were cleared away. Now all the buildings on the left will also be demolished.

PHUKET: -- Beach clubs, bars and restaurants along the east side of the walkway along Surin Beach have received their orders: Knock it all down.

There is some doubt about whether structures originally built on public land to house tsunami victims will be preserved, but it seems probable they will also be demolished.

The remainder of the buildings along the strip are illegal, Ma’an Samran, chief executive of Cherng Talay Tambon Administration Organisation told The Phuket News today (July 28).

“Following the relevant laws, we posted demolition orders on all the buildings,” including what remains of world-renowned Catch Beach Club and its rivals, Diamond Beach Club and Zazada.

He added that the post-tsunami buildings had been so heavily transformed that the original structures were invisible, “so all the buildings are going”.

“Anything that was added on to the original buildings must be destroyed. If the original structures look changed or damaged, they too must be demolished.”

Phuket Vice-Governor Jamroen Thippayapongtada, who has been at the front of the charge to clean illegal structures off Phuket beaches, confirmed that all the illegal buildings would have to go and probably the post-tsunami buildings too.

“There are two points about this issue. First, those buildings that were built without permission must be demolished. Second, the buildings belonging to the OrBorTor or OrBorJor will be considered [to see what should be done next].”

He explained that the authorities will look at the condition of the buildings. They will also check whether the people who were originally given occupation rights still have possession of the buildings, and whether they are still poor enough to merit allowing them to continue in their possession. This seems unlikely.

They will also check how the buildings are transformed and by whom, and ewhat legal steps must be taken before they can be demolished.

“We must check all these small details and do things according to the law. If the occupiers of the buildings are not the same people we helped long time ago, they have no right to occupy and the building must be demolished.

“I never saw the original buildings but I have heard that they were simple structures for people to use to sell goods. Now they have all transformed. An investigation committee will be set up to check all this soon.

“But I don’t see any buildings that still have the original structure. I’m not sure how much was spent on the original buildings but if they are all worn out, we will turn the space to public space, which is more useful.

“The people who were poor in the past are not poor any more. They make millions of baht a year. This [original] purpose [for the buildings] doesn’t make sense anymore.”

He added that he felt sorry for people who would lose their businesses but the authorities must do everything right, and Thai society must change from now – “No more ‘Mai Pen Rai’ or being too flexible about everything.

“We cannot enforce the law yet let some people be above it. I can’t be unfair. I feel sympathy for those who have [had businesses] for a long time – but it’s also long enough for them to have enough [money]. It’s time to stop. They must sympathise with those who obey the law [and have not made a lot of money].

“People disobey the law and take advantage of public land for private profit.” He warned that if any such people try to resist, “We may have to check their possessions, how they pay tax and the source of their money. They are no different from the people who encroach on national forest.

“Thai social is [too] flexible. Those who dare to break the law will always have an advantage over those who don’t. We have lived with this for too long. Now is the time to change.

“We are trying to build understanding, and asking for sympathy and support before enforcing the law. This is not teasing or bias. We will do it on all the beaches.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket%E2%80%99s-surin-beach-%E2%80%98to-be-cleared-completely%E2%80%99-47576.php

[pn]2014-07-29[/pn]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He added that he felt sorry for people who would lose their businesses but the authorities must do everything right, and Thai society must change from now – “No more ‘Mai Pen Rai’ or being too flexible about everything.

brilliant 

​ive been saying this exact thing for years , especially when it comes to the construction business, and many peoples shoddy/non existent  workmanship 

Brilliant my ass - nothing left at Surin beach now - not a single facility. 

In my opinion this has gone a bit to far. 

• Like 2

brilliant 

​ive been saying this exact thing for years , especially when it comes to the construction business, and many peoples shoddy/non existent  workmanship 

I've got news for you my friend; this is just the beginning.

"Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it"William Pitt the Elder, 1770

• Like 2

If those restaurants are illigal yes they must go, maybe they can buy the land there to stay and continieu operate there business ? ,  I live not far from there and even I eat there in the restaurants at the beach,  it looks ok but law is law.

• Like 1

Demolition of all these major club establishments is hard to believe. Based on their web sites,Catch, Diamond and Zazada must be backed by plenty of Thai Mr. Bigs, police, and military. Looks like too much money demolished for this claim to be real.

If this is indicative of the way forward then carry on regardless, an excellent article which highlights an all too prevalent problem.

For too long it has been people with connections, power and privilege who have been accumulating the wealth in this country. If this policy is enacted consistently and without favor then it shall be yet another step in the right direction.    

• Like 1

brilliant 

Is there anything stopping people from applying for the proper permits to have appropriate an business there?

brilliant 

Is there anything stopping people from applying for the proper permits to have appropriate an business there?

And what about all the Thai people who made millions of Baht from selling or renting these? Surely they should be prosecuted and money confiscated? Fair is fair

• Like 1

It is the way ALL developing countries go in the end... like it or not, a sensible rule of law must be enforced in a society and only then is there truly a level playing field for anyone.

I just hope that the rules don't become over-bearing and require a doctorate to understand them and a $300 per hour lawyer to argue them for you... like they do in many developed countries these days. That's one reason I left the last developed country to live here.

• Like 2

as i mentioned in another POST yesterday i think Catch/Bimi definitely knew this coming as they negotiating with the owner of the Blue Siam

beach club at Bangtao Beach to over his establishment and set up a new Catch Beach Club...

Pity for some especially Taste Restaurant one of my favourites in Phuket but i am Sure the owners Jade/Martin will find somewhere close by to

re-establish themselves they have an excellent client base... fingers crossed.... 

“Thai social is [too] flexible. Those who dare to break the law will always have an advantage over those who don’t. We have lived with this for too long. Now is the time to change.

This sentiment from a Thai official..., wow, I'm putting my rosy lenses back on.

Yes, it's all public land not intended for "appropriate businesses" and the original structures where built to accommodate tsunami victims.   Don't know why they didn't state that in the OP.

Edited by Zeegator
  • Like 1

brilliant 

Too far ?  WHY ????

It's becoming time that they teach all those poo yais a lesson !

And Pattaya will follow, especially in WS at the beach side.....

Hooray for this General !  make him PM !!!  clap2.gif

• Like 1

I agree that demolishing those buildings to the east of the road is going too far. It must be possible to regularize leases/licenses for that land and put the rent into the public coffers. The beach looks great now the stuff to the west has been removed but how will the land to the east be used?

Edited by phuketandsee

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

brilliant 

Yo. These people aren't paying rent. They've occupied structures that are not theirs to begin with, a Thai tradition. Who cares if there is nothing left. These jerks should never have set up shop there and they knew that one day they'd have to vamoose. Let them wait until proper buildings are built and then they can sign leases and pay rent like everyone else. This is how you clean up a backward country that's become an embarrassment.

They were definitely paying rent, and a lot at that.  However, rent wasn't going to the local gov't, unless you consider officials pockets to be local gov't. Not sure if you saw the video of the shifty looking Thai "landlord" with the 10 baht gold chain, but he was definitely getting paid and using thugs to enforce things.

• Like 1