The Most Boring Man in Bangkok

deknoiJT

Last week at the Red Lion restaurant in Chiang Mai, an American gentleman had just finished his meal on the next table, got up, looked at me, smiled and said; Hi, it sure is a nice sunny day out there, now you have a nice day and then he walked out.

I thought the audacity of the man, smiling, being friendly and wishing me a nice day. His hospitable attitude filled me with repulsion and discussed, because it mean`t I had to acknowledge that he existed.  I think the Immigration department should deport these people and ban them from Thailand for life.

A little bit different than sitting at your table uninvited and proceeding to talk at you for 45 minutes and the assumption you'll pay for his beer.

Thank you karenbravo. It is not the first time i have had people sit at my table uninvited. I find that if they do not ask me if they can sit down they will inevitaby be self serving and narcissistic.  If ignored they will generally leave within a couple of minutes.

I have asked people to leave before and some take offence to teh request. I wasn't in the mood for a verbal stoush so I sat and waited.

After 5 minutes his monotones became background noise and I tuned him out. Despite not a word from myself to him he continued his monologue unabated

Not judging but it sounds like you pussed out when you kept silent, so why not get up with your beer and move. easy peasy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is Germans for you boring people, Brits are much more fun and clean and proper. But are you sure he was German him expecting the pint on your bill sound Scottish to me. And what nationality are you.. Dutch because you want split bills ?

Sorry just countering nonsense with nonsense.

Scottish???? you mean north of Scotland, Aberdonians?

• Like 1

Why didn't you just ask him to leave?

An obviously drunk Farang would not last two minutes sitting beside me. I would just ask him to leave, if he did not move, then I would, if he followed me, I would again ask him to move, if he didn't, he would end up with a very sore face.

Last week at the Red Lion restaurant in Chiang Mai, an American gentleman had just finished his meal on the next table, got up, looked at me, smiled and said; Hi, it sure is a nice sunny day out there, now you have a nice day and then he walked out.

I thought the audacity of the man, smiling, being friendly and wishing me a nice day. His hospitable attitude filled me with repulsion and discussed, because it mean`t I had to acknowledge that he existed.  I think the Immigration department should deport these people and ban them from Thailand for life.

A little bit different than sitting at your table uninvited and proceeding to talk at you for 45 minutes and the assumption you'll pay for his beer.

If someone is not drunk, and is being hospitable to me, I would be hospitable back to him. Civility costs nothing.

• Like 1

It is very easy.

All the OP had to do was say to the man; sorry I am expecting some friends to arrive at any moment and politely ask the gentleman to leave the table. Tactful and no hard feelings.

Sometimes that works in bars, sometimes it doesn't.  It is difficult to reason with a self absorbed drunk.

I wasn't any ruder to him than he was to me.  He was the one who sat down uninvited and proceeded to ramble on with the most inane and uninteresting conversation.  I didn't even offer a word to him as I was sure he would move on after a few minutes.

I have no hard feelings towards the man at all.

I mean`t the guy not having hard feelings against you if tactfully told to leave your table.

Excuses, excuses.

I have lost count of how many times back in Farangland I have been sitting on a near empty tube train, the New York subway or on a bus somewhere and then some weirdo has come abroad and decided to sit next to me and start some aimless conversation.

That`s life, as they say; it takes all sorts and is not unique to Thailand. Just some irritations we have to deal with and have no doubts this incident will not be your last encounter with people that irritate you. There were plenty of these people in my workplace and even in own family back home, siblings included and unfortunately I was stuck with them. No big deal, really.

Try not showering and not using any deodorant for about a week. That normally keeps these people at bay.

Edited by Beetlejuice

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

An obviously drunk Farang would not last two minutes sitting beside me. I would just ask him to leave, if he did not move, then I would, if he followed me, I would again ask him to move, if he didn't, he would end up with a very sore face.

I figured he would leave after a few minutes if I ignored him.  Time just got away.  Although he was opposite me, it was only his breath that could not be ignored at times, and that was no worse than a walk down many a soi.

Some of the time was spent in a hypnotic trance staring at his nostril hair. I wondered why he did not cut it. He could have plaited the strands it was so thick

The remainder of the time my mind drifted with the memories of the many of the dullards and bores I have met through my life and mentally compared each one to this German

If he was a bore why are you posting this story about him then? Maybe it was more excitement then you had in months, right?

As a story it is mildly interesting because this man was so completely and utterly boring.

I do get a fair bit of excitement in my life. Some days I will ride the BTS all day. What a thrill!...

• Like 1

It is very easy.

All the OP had to do was say to the man; sorry I am expecting some friends to arrive at any moment and politely ask the gentleman to leave the table. Tactful and no hard feelings.

I prefer t he  "fuck off and  leave  me alone" it saves time and is  quite clear.

It is very easy.

I prefer t he  "<deleted> off and  leave  me alone" it saves time and is  quite clear.

Perhaps the difference between your attitudes towards people and my attitudes towards people in the reason that I have managed to live in Thailand for over 30 years with no major problems.

3 of the golden rules for living a stress-free, peaceful life in Thailand: keep your head down, keep a low profile and lose that western aggression. But it seems there are some who never learn, find it impossible to adapt to the Thai ways of thinking, can lose it at a drop of a hat, constantly tense and unable to chill out..

For these types of anti-socials, their lives must be very up tight and miserable here.

You poor, little, abused thing.  Somebody tried to say something nice, and it got you feeling all sad about things.

pity.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I figured he would leave after a few minutes if I ignored him.  Time just got away.  Although he was opposite me, it was only his breath that could not be ignored at times, and that was no worse than a walk down many a soi.

Some of the time was spent in a hypnotic trance staring at his nostril hair. I wondered why he did not cut it. He could have plaited the strands it was so thick

The remainder of the time my mind drifted with the memories of the many of the dullards and bores I have met through my life and mentally compared each one to this German

If he was a bore why are you posting this story about him then? Maybe it was more excitement then you had in months, right?

As a story it is mildly interesting because this man was so completely and utterly boring.

I do get a fair bit of excitement in my life. Some days I will ride the BTS all day. What a thrill!...

If this is how you spend your time at the bar, no wonder your partner was so late. She might of been out enjoying herself.

I must be meeting the 'wrong' Farang in Thailand - a couple of dropkicks aside, most have been intelligent and articulate. Even those who are neither wouldnt come close to either the OP's 'German' mate or the Brit mentioned in the 'Farang idiots' thread. In both cases, it would appear that the 'victims' have been forced to remain at their seats because they had to meet their partner in the venue in question - I can only assume they couldnt call said partner and arrange to meet them elsewhere. Surely anything would be preferable to putting up with the mad/bad/sad individuals in these threads ? 

Perhaps the difference between your attitudes towards people and my attitudes towards people in the reason that I have managed to live in Thailand for over 30 years with no major problems.

3 of the golden rules for living a stress-free, peaceful life in Thailand: keep your head down, keep a low profile and lose that western aggression. But it seems there are some who never learn, find it impossible to adapt to the Thai ways of thinking, can lose it at a drop of a hat, constantly tense and unable to chill out..

For these types of anti-socials, their lives must be very up tight and miserable here.

I only count two rules.

Rule one is the same as rule two.

You do know that right? I guess not.

As for me, time is the most valuable thing in the world, it's irreplaceable and I won't let anyone waste mine.

I've also lived in Thailand over thirty years and never had a problem and I've never let anyone walk over me like you seem to be willing to do.

Seems your backbone is as weak as your humour.

Edited by KarenBravo

Good tthing he was not Bavarian.....he could have come up to you and tapped the table and said:  "Grusse Gott!"  

Press their religion everywhere some people.

Perhaps the guy in this video is one of the types that the OP describes as ruining his evening out in the bar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo0Hsx-yHiI

• Like 1

Doesn't this apply to just about every farang you meet on Sukhumvit? If he becomes particularly boring I generally say something along the lines of "I don't mean to cause you offence but I've come out for a quiet drink and to relax. You are stopping me do this. Could you please move to another table." They generally do but if they are persistent I just get up and sit somewhere else. I make a point of avoiding farangs no matter where I am in Thailand - Just boring, self-obsessed people.  

Another Thai -wanabee?

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

It is very easy.

Op was embarrassed his partner was a gay thai boy?.....lol.

Doesn't this apply to just about every farang you meet on Sukhumvit? If he becomes particularly boring I generally say something along the lines of "I don't mean to cause you offence but I've come out for a quiet drink and to relax. You are stopping me do this. Could you please move to another table." They generally do but if they are persistent I just get up and sit somewhere else. I make a point of avoiding farangs no matter where I am in Thailand - Just boring, self-obsessed people.  

Another Thai -wanabee?

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

I wouldn't say that. I like to keep myself to myself and if some boorish farang invades my space then I tell them. As for finding farangs to be boring and self-obsessed, I don't need to be in Thailand to realise this. I have no interest in what sort of car (or motorbike) someone rides, not interested in how much their house is worth since they bought it 5 years ago, not interested in the bar they intend to buy, not interested in what role they had in the army and the list goes on. I've never been able to do small talk. I just clam up when I realise I've got one sitting next to me. I also have the problem of initially coming across as being interested in what they have to say by giving them a smile and engage in eye contact. It's called manners. The boorish then take this behaviour from me as being a green light for them to confide all their nonsense thoughts to me. 

Just my way of living life.

That's some bike you've got there .............................

It is very easy.

Sometimes that works in bars, sometimes it doesn't.  It is difficult to reason with a self absorbed drunk.

I wasn't any ruder to him than he was to me.  He was the one who sat down uninvited and proceeded to ramble on with the most inane and uninteresting conversation.  I didn't even offer a word to him as I was sure he would move on after a few minutes.

No hard feelings yet you start a thread about him like this on a public forum?

Methinks you have self-esteem issues, needing to bring down others less fortunate, to feel better yourself.

You walk into a pace that sells alcohol and complain that someone is drunk :cheesy:

That's like walking into a brothel and complaining that a woman came onto you.

If this is how you spend your time at the bar, no wonder your partner was so late. She might of been out enjoying herself.

How did you know my partner also loves the BTS?

It is very easy.

No hard feelings yet you start a thread about him like this on a public forum?

Methinks you have self-esteem issues, needing to bring down others less fortunate, to feel better yourself.

You walk into a pace that sells alcohol and complain that someone is drunk cheesy.gif

That's like walking into a brothel and complaining that a woman came onto you.

Really petal, I would have thought that someone who has 12,000 postings here on thaivisa would have learnt, if not have just had the practice, to avoid posting nonsense.

I might have tolerated the man had he been an interesting drunk. Drink can often make the most boring of people come alive.  No, this man was naturally boring, and alcohol seemed to enhance the idea that he had nothing of interest to offer the conversational world.

As he chose myself and my table to practise his spectacularly mind numbing repertoire, I feel I am entitled to critique his work.

As for your last point. If i did walk into a brothel and a woman came onto me, yes, I would be complaining

• Like 1