looking for lawyer for will, rawai area

stevehaigh

like the subject says, i'm looking for lawyer for a will, rawai area. any recomendations?

i realize i can probaby find something online but i'd rather spend a few baht and get something watertight in a thai court if something happens to me or the wife

If you hold any wealth outside of Thailand, a Thai will will not cover that portion of your assets.

It's very inconvenient.

for my land and house (wife's land and house) here in case something happens to her

You also can do it at your Amper for your thai assets. Did it in Thalang some years ago. Very pleasant and professional. It costs only a few baht but you should speak thai that it make sense to you.

If you hold any wealth outside of Thailand, a Thai will will not cover that portion of your assets.

It's very inconvenient.

for my land and house (wife's land and house) here in case something happens to her

You also can do it at your Amper for your thai assets. Did it in Thalang some years ago. Very pleasant and professional. It costs only a few baht but you should speak thai that it make sense to you.

sounds like a good idea. its will for my wife, not for me, i guess i should have been more clear about that.its in case something happens to her, i'd like it to be made clear what happens to the house and land.

It's very inconvenient.

Are you sure of this? I thought a will was a will no matter where it was made out providing it is satisfactorily witnessed.

It's very inconvenient.

Are you sure of this? I thought a will was a will no matter where it was made out providing it is satisfactorily witnessed.

This is what I was told by a British solicitor. My will wouldn't cover assets in the States, or Thailand.

Hi Steve,

you can come to PHUKET VISA LAW OFFICE (www.phuketvisa.com), it's a very good law office next to your home!! Please ask for Peter.....

Thanks and have a nice day!!

where exactly?

basically, i want to protect my self in case something happens to the missus. i have no lease or anything on our land and house and i don't care right now as i trust her 110%. the problem is, if she dies, i guess it all goes to her kids and while they are nice kids, they have no vested interest in taking care of me, especially the older daughter's huband's family who are all low life twats. (and that's the polite version)

so i was thinking she could write something to say they only get the land and house if they give me a 30 year lease, or it all goes to the wat, or the cat.

anybody have something simillar?

I'm was in the same situation.

Just get a 30 year lease from your wife and explain why.

If something happens to her, her inheritor has to honour the lease.

i guess so but i'll have to pay tax on that right? and then if she goes in say 25 years, i'll only have 5 years left anyhow.

The tax isn't much considering the security you get.

After 10 years, dissolve the lease and make another 30 years.

Relying on someone's honesty when you don't have to........well.

The other thing you could go for, though, I doubt you'll get it here, is an usafruct. They (the land office) really don't like giving them to foreigners, but, it's worth asking a lawyer if it's feasible.

Do you think it is possible for you after many years together in your house, to live alone now in this house after the death of your wife? Do you want to really sale it and not only the lease after her death? Only two importent questions and only you can answer them.

Why not make these decisions after her death and keep all doors open.

Also include bank accounts and cars in the will. The amper keeps one and you the other. It is worth a check.

In case of....huband's family who are all low life <deleted>.....you have to watch your back if you choose usufruct or lease.

The tax isn't much considering the security you get.

After 10 years, dissolve the lease and make another 30 years.

do you recall how much the tax is? how is it calculated?

I'm sorry, I don't.

When I took out the lease, I told the land department that I paid one million baht.

I have a feeling, tax on the lease is 1% but, don't quote me on that.

i found this http://www.siam-legal.com/realestate/Leases.php

'The advantage of leasehold is a lower registration fee. The registration fee for registering such a lease is 1.1% of the rental value.'

so if you say the rent is 100,000/year * 30, = 3,000,000 * 1.1% = 33,000baht

i don't know if i could get away with a smaller rent like 20k/year

It's very inconvenient.

Very inconvenient, but would you want a Thai representative holding sway over the determination of your home-based assets. Many of us would be looking after more than their Thai family members so any other solution than dividing things into different geographical pots could get very messy thumbsup.gif.