Price Per Square Meter For High-End House Construction?

WOW, for that price, it better be "high end". I know it's different costs at different locations. I live in Chiang Mai and you can get a decent high end build here for 15k sq met. You're talking about a 15 mil baht house, did I get that right?

That sounds to cheap. How do you define "high end"? Does it include things like granite and/or hardwood (e.g., teak or mahogany) floors; all marble or granite walls & floors in bathrooms; best quality materials & fixtures; solid wood doors; etc. etc.?

Some of these 'high-end' houses I have seen do have nice Thai roofs with Greek columns and Roman balustrades...lol

khunPer fantastic post! thumbsup.gif

Any chance of some pics?

When anyone asks about "high end" houses....I always post this house in Bangkok because I love it biggrin.png (I realise it might not be everyones cup of tea for 13m baht wink.png )

http://www.officeat.com/?p=582

RAZZ

Many thanks, Razz.
Indeed, here you are – but it’s not luxury and it’s very different from the house in your post.
A bit off-topic from OP’s post – sorry, don’t want to steal the tread – a little comment to the pictures. I wished to draw a house merged of Thai style and Scandinavian classic Mediterranean inspired summerhouse or patrician summer villa, yet being a bit modern; well Viking roofs and Thai style roofs are fairly similar. Another thing was that I wished something that would fit into the beach area and surrounding buildings, not looking too wired being the first 3-floor beachfront building. Luxury was well outside of my budget, but as I don't like marble and rather fancy more normal looking tiles and practical life-style that was not a problem.
With only some 70 talang wah land (around 270 sqm) and a wish for 4 bedrooms, preferably with sea view that 3 of them got, everything had to be a compromise of size and shape; and no need for a pool by the sea, but a small Jacuzzi is a very nice alternative. Furthermore I needed a terrace on “leeward” side when the monsoon makes the “windward” seaside rough, only space was on 2nd floor. Anyway I am very happy with the result and fell it like being as close to my “dream house” as possible – however, still dreaming about a castle with my study on top of a tower with a 360 degrade view – no big deal to make whatever you dream about if you have a construction budget of 100 million and up, as some of the real high-end house in my area. The most expensive I’ve seen was 475 millions, but that also included the land; others may never be advertised in media we plain people can afford to read.
As I said in my earlier post, the “trick” is to make your 1 million bath Isaan village house or your some million bath tourist destination villa be your dream house and look nice; and at the end it’s all a matter of taste…
smile.png

post-122720-0-15868900-1407397496_thumb.

post-122720-0-30084700-1407397519_thumb.

post-122720-0-54488600-1407397545_thumb.

post-122720-0-63646100-1407397644_thumb.

post-122720-0-72192800-1407397673_thumb.

post-122720-0-40380800-1407397691_thumb.

post-122720-0-73072000-1407397713_thumb.

post-122720-0-13166200-1407397844_thumb.

post-122720-0-07497900-1407397952_thumb.

post-122720-0-83820700-1407398246_thumb.

post-122720-0-69378700-1407398257_thumb.

post-122720-0-89331000-1407398274_thumb.

post-122720-0-57107500-1407398283_thumb.

post-122720-0-61388500-1407398317_thumb.

WOW, for that price, it better be "high end". I know it's different costs at different locations. I live in Chiang Mai and you can get a decent high end build here for 15k sq met. You're talking about a 15 mil baht house, did I get that right?

The estimated cost of building a home in Chiang Mai is reported to range from 5,000-20,000 baht per square meter, depending upon the quality of materials used. For this discussion, let's say 15,000 Thai baht per square meter. Calculations often use the phrase "shell only," and include the sub-floor (but not hardwood flooring), walls (plastered and painted), plumbing (but not sinks, toilets, tubs, or showers), electrical wiring (but no lighting fixtures), kitchen (but no sinks, countertops or cabinets), windows (but no metal security bars), doors, and a roof of standard tiles on a steel frame.

The overall floor area (in square meters) include bedrooms, bathrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen, closets, porches, patios, carports, basements, etc. but not all of these spaces are considered to be the "living area". A 300-sq meter structure, for example, might include only 200 square meters of "living area" and, at 15K per sq meter, it will cost an estimated 4.5 million baht to build.

A Chiang Mai architect may charge 5% or 7% or 10% (or more) to design such a home. If 7% is typical, that's 315,000 baht for the architect's house plan. The owner is provided with a book of plans, while the builder uses the larger format "blueprints" and a detailed "BOQ" list of the materials and quantities specified in the building contact.

Do I have this right? Comments and corrections are most welcome

Any chance of some pics?

When anyone asks about "high end" houses....I always post this house in Bangkok because I love it biggrin.png (I realise it might not be everyones cup of tea for 13m baht wink.png )

RAZZ

Many thanks, Razz.

Indeed, here you are but its not luxury and its very different from the house in your post.

A bit off-topic from OPs post sorry, dont want to steal the tread a little comment to the pictures. I wished to draw a house merged of Thai style and Scandinavian classic Mediterranean inspired summerhouse or patrician summer villa, yet being a bit modern; well Viking roofs and Thai style roofs are fairly similar. Another thing was that I wished something that would fit into the beach area and surrounding buildings, not looking too wired being the first 3-floor beachfront building. Luxury was well outside of my budget, but as I don't like marble and rather fancy more normal looking tiles and practical life-style that was not a problem.

With only some 70 talang wah land (around 270 sqm) and a wish for 4 bedrooms, preferably with sea view that 3 of them got, everything had to be a compromise of size and shape; and no need for a pool by the sea, but a small Jacuzzi is a very nice alternative. Furthermore I needed a terrace on leeward side when the monsoon makes the windward seaside rough, only space was on 2nd floor. Anyway I am very happy with the result and fell it like being as close to my dream house as possible however, still dreaming about a castle with my study on top of a tower with a 360 degrade view no big deal to make whatever you dream about if you have a construction budget of 100 million and up, as some of the real high-end house in my area. The most expensive Ive seen was 475 millions, but that also included the land; others may never be advertised in media we plain people can afford to read.

As I said in my earlier post, the trick is to make your 1 million bath Isaan village house or your some million bath tourist destination villa be your dream house and look nice; and at the end its all a matter of taste

smile.png

The only problem that I can see in the photos of this house is the main staircase to the 2nd floor is outside the house, and exposed to the weather. Such a design seems to suggest the rooms on the upper floor are for leasing out separately.

The estimated cost of building a home in Chiang Mai is reported to range from 5,000-20,000 baht per square meter, depending upon the quality of materials used. For this discussion, let's say 15,000 Thai baht per square meter. Calculations often use the phrase "shell only," and include the sub-floor (but not hardwood flooring), walls (plastered and painted), plumbing (but not sinks, toilets, tubs, or showers), electrical wiring (but no lighting fixtures), kitchen (but no sinks, countertops or cabinets), windows (but no metal security bars), doors, and a roof of standard tiles on a steel frame.

The overall floor area (in square meters) include bedrooms, bathrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen, closets, porches, patios, carports, basements, etc. but not all of these spaces are considered to be the "living area". A 300-sq meter structure, for example, might include only 200 square meters of "living area" and, at 15K per sq meter, it will cost an estimated 4.5 million baht to build.

A Chiang Mai architect may charge 5% or 7% or 10% (or more) to design such a home. If 7% is typical, that's 315,000 baht for the architect's house plan. The owner is provided with a book of plans, while the builder uses the larger format "blueprints" and a detailed "BOQ" list of the materials and quantities specified in the building contact.

our architect cost us 8,000 baht Bob. he works at the orbortor, so getting the drawings passed and signed by the engineer etc was all included

a great set of plans, and a well designed house it seems

Any chance of some pics?

RAZZ

Many thanks, Razz.

Indeed, here you are but its not luxury and its very different from the house in your post.

A bit off-topic from OPs post sorry, dont want to steal the tread a little comment to the pictures. I wished to draw a house merged of Thai style and Scandinavian classic Mediterranean inspired summerhouse or patrician summer villa, yet being a bit modern; well Viking roofs and Thai style roofs are fairly similar. Another thing was that I wished something that would fit into the beach area and surrounding buildings, not looking too wired being the first 3-floor beachfront building. Luxury was well outside of my budget, but as I don't like marble and rather fancy more normal looking tiles and practical life-style that was not a problem.

With only some 70 talang wah land (around 270 sqm) and a wish for 4 bedrooms, preferably with sea view that 3 of them got, everything had to be a compromise of size and shape; and no need for a pool by the sea, but a small Jacuzzi is a very nice alternative. Furthermore I needed a terrace on leeward side when the monsoon makes the windward seaside rough, only space was on 2nd floor. Anyway I am very happy with the result and fell it like being as close to my dream house as possible however, still dreaming about a castle with my study on top of a tower with a 360 degrade view no big deal to make whatever you dream about if you have a construction budget of 100 million and up, as some of the real high-end house in my area. The most expensive Ive seen was 475 millions, but that also included the land; others may never be advertised in media we plain people can afford to read.

As I said in my earlier post, the trick is to make your 1 million bath Isaan village house or your some million bath tourist destination villa be your dream house and look nice; and at the end its all a matter of taste

smile.png

The only problem that I can see in the photos of this house is the main staircase to the 2nd floor is outside the house, and exposed to the weather. Such a design seems to suggest the rooms on the upper floor are for leasing out separately.

Thanks for your comment. The stair you see at beachfront is the beach stair for easy access to beach from bedrooms and balconies – the is of course an internal main stair for the upper floors…

For a well designed home with many reviews / changes etc....then yes between 3.5 - 5 % is the norm in CM . For the standard box type home then any were from 5 - 15,000 bt for the plans . Like anything you get what you pay for.

• 11 months later...

Price per sq metre

It has so many variables eg measurement - overhang to overhang. exterior wall to exterior wall?

Include landscaping, fencing, garden, land cost

Quality of materials - high end - even that is subject to much interpretation.

Recently, we completed a 375sqm 3 storey house but including A/C; 3 bedrooms & 4 bathrooms cost - B1600sqm. There is no exterior kitchen or car parking included in the measurement.

Quality of workmanship is another critical factor.

Insulation can cost little or be a major component eg double glazing

I know farangs in my location who spent B1.5m incl land.

The other forum has some marvellous threads on a build

Price per sq metre

It has so many variables eg measurement - overhang to overhang. exterior wall to exterior wall?

Include landscaping, fencing, garden, land cost

Quality of materials - high end - even that is subject to much interpretation.

Recently, we completed a 375sqm 3 storey house but including A/C; 3 bedrooms & 4 bathrooms cost - B1600sqm. There is no exterior kitchen or car parking included in the measurement.

Quality of workmanship is another critical factor.

Insulation can cost little or be a major component eg double glazing

I know farangs in my location who spent B1.5m incl land.

The other forum has some marvellous threads on a build

I think you left out a zero there smile.png

Unless it's made of bamboo and reclaimed roofing steel? tongue.png

As for your variables:

* Always wall to wall, but with a spec for roof overhangs

* A per sqm price never includes landscaping, or the cost of land

* Quality of materials is usually based on budget ranges - e.g. floor tiles can cost up to 200/sqm, 400/sqm, or 2,000/sqm, windows are alu or pvc frames, green glass / solartag glass / double glazed, roof is cement fibre / steel / elebana tiles / prestige tiles, exterior walls are painted / veneered in shera / veneered in natural stone etc, insulation is nothing / radiant barrier / radiant + insulation batts .... etc etc

We used above average quality mats incl QCon bricks, quality roof tiles.When in doubt, we chose superior quality

a) plan is #1 - we did not use an architect. We did not optimize space but overall not bad

cool.png quality of builder is paramount - far more important than the actual quote

c) owner-builder -not for me. At least, not for a 1st build in lOS

d) insulation - we got superior mats

e) built=ins - not a favourite in the North. WE spent B900k - a little too much?

f) our land is not large. I am happy with hat decision. More spent on the house & less garden maintenance. In LOS, not as much time is spent outdoors - climate

g)you can have too any bedrooms eg guest bedroom. Put them into a hotel?

h) we minimized timber but still got underground termite control

i) plan & research intensively - share ideas/experiences with others

k) most important -when you meet your teeruk do not build immediately. It took us 11 years before we built. IT IS NOT MY HOUSE/LAND

Now the big questions -

a) would I spend as much next time - yes. This is our 1st & last build

cool.png would I do it differently next time? Slower - do not rush

e) built=ins - not a favourite in the North. WE spent B900k - a little too much?

The depends on how much cabintry you got, what wood it's made out of, and whether it was OTT compared to the rest of your house.

As a guide a fully built-in 32sqm bedroom (by fully built-in, I mean every single wall covered in wood, and no other furniture needed - a 'hotel' style job) costs around 150K +/- 20%. The same thing in solid teak wood would cost 450K, give or take.

900K is pretty easy to spend...

We spent & it is not teak. We have 3 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms + 2 living rooms.

However, it is quite acceptable. A little more time planning would have been even better eg size of TV now v future. Future - 80" TV standard=problem.

• 3 months later...

I did not specifically select 'High-End" nor any particular locality.

When we relocate to LOS, we usually rent; play very hard.

Finally, the teeruk snares one & some problems can commence.

I spent 12 years in a condo in CNX. Great local; good size etc.

Now, I live in Fang & the question arises as to what to SPEND - not INVEST!

I have no intention to go into a discussion on infrustruct.

As the expat will be funding the construction in 99% of cases, he needs to define the upper limit.

QUESTIONS

How much for land

Proximity to lady's family

How much for house

Materials

Insulation

Quality of construction

Furniture

Let the game commence!

Land - I paid for it about 5 years ago. Now, about B2m

Selection of contractor - looked at completed houses.

Design - contractor, wife & myself. One other who had experience in LOS.

Everyone wants to build in the dry season. Impossible.

Our plan - 2 levels - 375sqm - 3 bedrooms - 4 bathrooms

Materials - many use "red brick". We selected Q-Con. I was advised to use the biggest. We ended up using 15cmx10cm. Why? Insulation

Roof - CPAC tiles - best insulation possible

Many farangs prefer built-ins. We spent B850k!

Furniture - locally - junk. We went to CNX - primarily Index & Boon Tawan. Boon Tawan was excellent in all areas. Materials - bathroom & lighting - fantastic. Advice & service - similar. NOT CHEAP!

My advice - spend the max on basic construction. Furniture etc can be updated later.

Basic construction cost - B5.4m = B14,400sqm

Regarding price/sqm, many focus on this ie lower is better. Not really - buy the cheapest, lowest quality mats & employ will give you the cheapest & nastiest outcome + far more headaches.

I have heard stories from B5k to B30k/sqm.

One "MINOR" omission in my previous posts.

You are handing a lot of $$$ (& control/power) over to the teeruk.

Put one step out of place & you are destitute.

Then, you have zero to offer another lady.

It is a big gamble.

Archived