Burmese boy won top prize in Thai Handwriting contest

webfact

Is this an old story?

Burmese boy?

Where is Burma?

Is',t that a shaving cream? BURMASHAVE?

Can you write Myanmar in Thai?? ?

There doesn't seem to be a solid and universal consensus on the name of the country to the west of Thailand. Though "Myanmar" (pronounced "Myanma" in US English as well as in Thai) is a reduction of the official name, many people worldwide still refer to the country as Burma.

For an extensive treatment of the topic, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Burma

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations and well done to the kid. Let's hope his bright future is not hindered by racism and bigotry in his adopted homeland.

I wonder if the judges who decided the winner knew that the writer was Burmese and not Thai. I would guess not.

A taste of things to come for the Thais when ASEAN kicks off!

ASEAN kicked off decades ago.

When the AEC kicks off at the end of next year, there will still be no freedom of movement, still no freedom of labour, ASEAN nationals will still need the same visas to visit, live and work here, and still need the same Work Permits.

I think many people are confused thinking that the AEC is going to be based on the EU.

It isn't.

Edited by Deacon Bell
  • Like 1

Excuse me but mt kids get more homework than Thai kids get in a year and maintain above 85% score level on all test 85% is passing. And speak 3 languages and write in all three. Oldest also speaks Thai.

Aye, appen', These Thai kids just don't know they're born a tell ya. My 2 year old at kindergarten gets 47 hours of homework - a night, speaks 12 languages, does an exam every week and has to score more than the school staff or the Teacher will murder them to death with a broken whiskey bottle and dance on their graves singing hallelujah and then they get detention and more homework. And things start getting really tough next year rolleyes.gif

" Although born and grew up in Thailand, Yaza is considered as a Burmese immigrant...His Thai teacher, Mrs Sang-aroon Sornchai, described Yaza as very deligent and dedicated to study and has represented the school ..."

So, what does someone who was born in Thailand and represents his community in the best way, have to do before he is considered to be Thai?

Get Thai nationality of course. He is the child of legal migrants, who are happy to be Burmese and have a Burmese child. In the meantime, he is attending a hi-so sponsored school. He's got the best of two or more worlds, it seems — like many other foreign kids in Thailand who might or might not get Thai nationality when they get old enough to make up their minds about it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

" Although born and grew up in Thailand, Yaza is considered as a Burmese immigrant...His Thai teacher, Mrs Sang-aroon Sornchai, described Yaza as very deligent and dedicated to study and has represented the school ..."

So, what does someone who was born in Thailand and represents his community in the best way, have to do before he is considered to be Thai?

Well, the institutionalised xenophobia would have to be addressed first.

Maybe in 100 years...

My dad married a Thai lady who had a young son. They came to the US when he was about 7. His English was not great but he did awesome in school, all the way thru high school and went on to be tops in his class in college. I am proud of him for what he has achieved. Thai's are or can be as smart as they want to be. I am proud for this young man as well. I hope he achieves great things in his future that will assist he and his family out of poverty.

US schools are known be "world class"

Same same.

Anyone born in UK now, don't get UK citizenship anymore, regardless how much he/she has done for UK community.

If this was thrust upon my kid, being born in Thailand and educated so far in Thailand, if he was to make a noticeable achievement such as this boy, would they call him an Aussie? If it happened in Australia, would Thailand claim reward for it? It happens all the time with professional sports players, actors etc.. nothing new here. Good on ya kid is all that needs to be said, non good on ya Thai kid, or good on ya Burmese kid....seriously how warped are they? For years everyone in Japan has known they are now no longer the best at their own cultural arts such as Judo, Karate etc... they don't like it, but they don't start berating their younger generation for it.

Oz

If he was born on Thai soil he should be entitled to Thai citizenship, no if, but or maybe. Just because his family are not from Thailand does not mean he is not a Thai national now. The same with mixed children who are born either here or in another country.

Excuse me but mt kids get more homework than Thai kids get in a year and maintain above 85% score level on all test 85% is passing. And speak 3 languages and write in all three. Oldest also speaks Thai.

Aye, appen', These Thai kids just don't know they're born a tell ya. My 2 year old at kindergarten gets 47 hours of homework - a night, speaks 12 languages, does an exam every week and has to score more than the school staff or the Teacher will murder them to death with a broken whiskey bottle and dance on their graves singing hallelujah and then they get detention and more homework. And things start getting really tough next year rolleyes.gif

'E were lucky! We used to dream about only 47 hours of homework a night. We used to have to write a novel in 32 different languages afore breakfast or t'teacher would massacre t' whole family. And that were during t'holidays!

• Like 1

'E were lucky! We used to dream about only 47 hours of homework a night. We used to have to write a novel in 32 different languages afore breakfast or t'teacher would massacre t' whole family. And that were during t'holidays!

Holidays!!!! - Luxury!

I was just in the gym, and this was a topic of conversation. "What's happening to Thailand?" people joked. Everyone seemed to be laughing about this and just taking it as a something to talk about, nothing to take seriously. "I'm sure the kid can't write Burmese nearly as well as his Thai, so we have nothing to worry about," someone added.

I guess this is a common threat that people feel: Not the same situation, but I remember similar fears arising when the American Akebono became Yokozuna (sumo champion) in Japan back in 1999, and the reverse when Japanese baseball hero Ichiro Suzuki won the Most Valuable Player of Year Award in the U.S. back in 2001.

There will always be reactionary people who fear a foreign takeover or foreign threat to their belief of what defines a national identity. I believe that the human race is still on the right course as long as there are people who realize that this is just the world coming together rather than it falling apart.

My dad married a Thai lady who had a young son. They came to the US when he was about 7. His English was not great but he did awesome in school, all the way thru high school and went on to be tops in his class in college. I am proud of him for what he has achieved. Thai's are or can be as smart as they want to be. I am proud for this young man as well. I hope he achieves great things in his future that will assist he and his family out of poverty.

US schools are known be "world class"

Now that's a classic.

He has brought fame to the school. What they dont say is that a foreign immigrant gas mastered thai writing and shown through his diligence and dedication to study how lazy thai students are. Hats off to this burmese kid. Maybe somewhere in this country a thai student will see the shame of having a foreigner do better than a thai writing in thai language.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Some things don't require saying to reveal the obvious. The same could be said about the reply.

He has brought fame to the school. What they dont say is that a foreign immigrant gas mastered thai writing and shown through his diligence and dedication to study how lazy thai students are. Hats off to this burmese kid. Maybe somewhere in this country a thai student will see the shame of having a foreigner do better than a thai writing in thai language.

Some things don't require saying to reveal the obvious. The same could be said about the reply.
Agreed! It was pointless reading yours

The boy has demonstrated that he is a bright and dedicated kid. Many immigrant students tend to distinguish themselves through extraordinary effort. This does not reflect poorly on the local (Thai) kids. How many students have you met that like grammar class?

Now since you are so critical of "lazy" students what I would really like to hear is a tale that demonstrates that you were something exceptional. C'mon don't be shy! Let's here about all of those scolarships...:cheesy:

The boy has demonstrated that he is a bright and dedicated kid. Many immigrant students tend to distinguish themselves through extraordinary effort. This does not reflect poorly on the local (Thai) kids.

He was born and raised here. He is not an immigrant.

Due to Thais being Thais, he does not qualify to be legally Thai.

Edited by Deacon Bell

I'm english teacher in a hilltribe school in TAK. No work permit, but a buddhist volunteer paper.

Professionel teacher for languages (German, French) including the TOEFL for English .

My students are 70% hilltribe people.

Thai is the second language

English the third.

All my students are "fighting" for instruction, for learning.

One of my students (Orphan, supported by Ban Saensuk, a German Organisation)

finished successfully her studies computer technology.

She is now my assistant for English Teaching (Beamer, High Tec language programms etc)

My idea is : The Hmong boy with his capacities is one, many others can follow him. My job.

I'm english teacher in a hilltribe school in TAK. No work permit, but a buddhist volunteer paper.

Professionel teacher for languages (German, French) including the TOEFL for English .

My students are 70% hilltribe people.

Thai is the second language

English the third.

All my students are "fighting" for instruction, for learning.

One of my students (Orphan, supported by Ban Saensuk, a German Organisation)

finished successfully her studies computer technology.

She is now my assistant for English Teaching (Beamer, High Tec language programms etc)

My idea is : The Hmong boy with his capacities is one, many others can follow him. My job.

It is often the poorest, that are the most eager.

The rich snot with two nannies and stage 3 diabetes by age 7 generally couldn't give a sh@t. And why should he, he'll have 17 uni girl giks, a job given to him, and can run over people in his Forunter without issue. rolleyes.gif

Winning a PGA grand slam just might work, but then you don't want to be Thai anymore.

Hey - Tiger Woods is half-Thai - even the King acknowledged that but he was refused Thai Citizenship, most people think it is because his Father was a black American, US Army Special Forces served in Lopori (sp)for almost seven years, fluent Thai speaker and Mother was from Isaan/Lao - Nakom Panom(sp) ...........wai2.gif

The boy has demonstrated that he is a bright and dedicated kid. Many immigrant students tend to distinguish themselves through extraordinary effort. This does not reflect poorly on the local (Thai) kids.

He was born and raised here. He is not an immigrant.

Due to Thais being Thais, he does not qualify to be legally Thai.

C'Mon - I know a very Professional Thai Woman, has a colleague working with her for almost 20 years and still refuses to acknowledge she is Thai - the other lady is from Hat Yai and is Muslim, my friend says "She's not Thai.....She is Muslim" ........BTW the lady is her supervisor and has a Doctorate in Education from Princeton, but still can't get over the 'religion hump' in Thailand. No wonder the folks down south are blowing things up all the time - they are not considered Thai.................jusy sayin.