Renew car insurance

Cloggie

My situation:

Bought my Toyota pickup truck (new) in July 2066, always used The Viriyah Insurance and paid every year:

- Compulsory Insurance = TB 645 2006 ==> 2013

- All risk (policy type 1) TB 25,000 in 2006 ==> TB 12,672 in 2010

- All risk (policy type 1) TB 10,300 2011, 2012 and 2013 after I changed it in 2011 from multiple drivers to one driver (me)

Went to The Viriya office at Sukhumvit in Pattaya last week where I received the following quotation:

- Compulsory Insurance = TB 645.21

- All risk (policy type 1) = TB 10,759.88 (one driver)

Total: TB 11,405.09

Never had an accident, never any claim so my no claim bonus is 50%

Car age, 9 years

I asked if it was possible to remove for example fire / theft but - as expected - they said, can not, can not....

Looks like I have two choices:

1) Only pay compulsory Insurance so in case I have an accident The Viriya will only pay all damage other side, my car and myself are NOT insured and I have to pay everything myself

2) Pay TB 11.405.09 so both myself, my car as well as all damage other side are paid.

Are there any other options beside looking for another company?

Any ways to pay less but still use The Viriya?

Thanks for your advice.

I take it you are what they call farang,then it's gonna be your fault 99% of the time as we all know thailand,

Then your options are do the max only and at least have peace of mind that you only have to pay the insurance.

A friend of mine last week renewed his insurance all in 10k unfortunately he gone up north for a months stay so cant advise further as to whom to go to, he has a similar situation as you do ie: age of vehicle no claims discount.

Good luck my friend.

Edited by Brit_Doggie

I take it you are what they call farang,then it's gonna be your fault 99% of the time as we all know thailand,

Then your options are do the max only and at least have peace of mind that you only have to pay the insurance.

A friend of mine last week renewed his insurance all in 10k unfortunately he gone up north for a months stay so cant advise further as to whom to go to, he has a similar situation as you do ie: age of vehicle no claims discount.

Good luck my friend.

This is simply not true.

• Like 1

Went to The Viriya office at Sukhumvit in Pattaya last week where I received the following quotation:

- Compulsory Insurance = TB 645.21

- All risk (policy type 1) = TB 10,759.88 (one driver)

Total: TB 11,405.09

Never had an accident, never any claim so my no claim bonus is 50%

Car age, 9 years

My premium cover with roadside assistance and dealer repair only costs 1000B more than that for a 2 year old pickup with 30% no-claims (OK, I do get discounts for higher voluntary excess and sole driver).

I suggest you try another company/broker as it looks like yours saw you coming.

• 5 weeks later...

Viriyah offer a lot of different options . Can anyone explain insurance 2 for me? Premium around 7000 baht.

Do they cover most stuff ?

Also take into account that the compulsory insurance is very, very limited, you may also consider a proper 3rd party cover (type 3).

Well according to their own website type 2 cover slightly less than type 1 :

Type 2 Policy
Coverage slightly less to Type 1 Policy:
Liability to damage to life, body, or health of third parties
Liability to property of third parties
Liability to loss/fire caused to the insured car

Basically:

type 1: all risks, covers own damage, 3rd party damage and events like fire, theft;

type 2: covers 3rd party damage and events like fire, theft;

type 3: covers 3rd party damage.

From my understanding type 2 + package also cover damage to the car , but you have to pay 1500 baht more in premium .

Basically:

type 1: all risks, covers own damage, 3rd party damage and events like fire, theft;

From my understanding type 2 + package also cover damage to the car , but you have to pay 1500 baht more in premium .

The basics are as outlined, of course it is sometimes possible to pay a bit more and get additional cover.

Basically:

Correct.

Type 2+ and 3+ also covers damage to the car in vehicle to vehicle accidents only.

The other vehicle involved must be present to make a claim.