Told at the airport this will be my last visit on a 30 day visa to Thailand

if you don't contribute they don't want you here, sitting in a bar all day doesn't count, get a proper visa it ain't that difficult...

how exactly does a FIFO worker not contribute?

They would be the sort of people any country would want; seriously cashed up foreigners enjoying their break.

What Visa should he have? He only visits for less than 30 days at a time on his time off.

It has never been about "contribute" or not. That has never been mentioned by any official ever. It's about getting the right visa. If you come for an occasional short vacation that is fine. If you're coming on back to back 28 day in/28 day out visa free visit, according to what they have said that is not fine.

If a Visitor says they are a FIFO worker on work rotation. Then from Thai immigration perspective it sounds like you come to work in Thailand for 28 days then live in some other country for 28 days. How are they to know that it's the other way around? Thai immigration are not with modern times and simply can't get their head around what offshore FIFO work is about.

By producing pay slips and showing the visa (work permit) for the country we work in

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this on another thread yesterday..

I was with a lawyer today who deals with immigration issues.

Contrary to the popular belief that 28/28 rotations with VEE (visa exempt entries) will be acceptable as a long term solution to staying in Thailand, he felt, that with his dealings with Immigration officials, it will not.

He argued that residing in the country on a regular basis, even on a rotational basis, falls outside of the intended use of VEE.

He believed that VEE was for the occasional visitor to the country who comes for a holiday, and then returns home to where he lives.

Obviously without clear limitations on number of VEEs per year, it will be at the discretion of the Immigration official to make a judgement.

Just his opinion...

Nonsense I have spoken with immigration officials and every one has told me without contradiction that there's not a problem FIFO 28/28 or any other rotation.

And yet the guy was pulled over at the airport and told this by airport immigration. It doesn't matter what immigration in Nakhon nowhere say it's what the immigration officer at the airport says, they are the one's who will turn you back.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The O&G guy you're referring to would fall well within the "old" rule you speak of since his time off includes travelling days he's most likely to be quite a bit less than 50% of the year in Thailand, additionally if he legally qualifies for both the o visa entry and the visa exempt what's wrong with him legally choosing the easier option of the 2 for his situation, the o visa allows him to stay up to 90 days each entry (which he doesn't need ) there's no risk of him overstaying and with the soon to be coming additional 30 day extension available on visa exempt( if I read past reports correctly) one just wonders what's going on

JohnThailandJohn"

While I agree that this is likely due to not having clear understanding of the rule, I do question if what they did should not have happened. Next time he comes in new rules/enforcement will likely be in effect and he is spending almost 1/2 year in Thailand each year without a visa and is entitled to one. I think this is one an example of what they are trying to address with the new rules .... abusing the visa exempt system for staying in Thailand long periods without a proper visa.

I forget the exact rule years ago before they loosened rules (as opposed to now tightening) which had to do with amount of time you can spend in Thailand over a given period without a visa. Something like only 90 days within 6-months??? So, it would not surprise me at all if this kind of thing comes back into effect through the new rules / enforcement.

But as you said, just to much confusion now to know but just wouldn't be surprised at all if they were right to warn him. In fact it seems kind of logic based on their apparent goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Contrary to the popular belief that 28/28 rotations with VEE (visa exempt entries) will be acceptable as a long term solution to staying in Thailand, he felt, that with his dealings with Immigration officials, it will not.

He argued that residing in the country on a regular basis, even on a rotational basis, falls outside of the intended use of VEE.

He believed that VEE was for the occasional visitor to the country who comes for a holiday, and then returns home to where he lives.

Obviously without clear limitations on number of VEEs per year, it will be at the discretion of the Immigration official to make a judgement.

Just his opinion...

on the one hand the O&G guys say they are working abroad but visiting thailand for regular vacations but on the other it could be argued they are residing in thailand and working offshore. either way it's one hell of a grey area to leave in the hands of an immigration officer.

i hope it works out for these guys

• Like 2

on the one hand the O&G guys say they are working abroad but visiting thailand for regular vacations but on the other it could be argued they are residing in thailand and working offshore. either way it's one hell of a grey area to leave in the hands of an immigration officer.

As one of these guys i totally agree with you. I fly in on Aug 19th. My passport is full of 28/28 VE's plus a couple of Cambodian IO's. I'm a bit twitchy again as i have paid for flights back to the UK for a holiday with my Mrs and Kid on the 27th aug. I will get married in the week before we go though. When i am in the UK i will be getting my second passport too. So hopefully it will be nice and fresh with the right marriage visa in it to allow me to come and go as i please for the following year and many years after (i know i must get a new visa every year)

I will have a lot of paper work when i next come in like pay slips and will show the guy my Kazakhstan work permit that's in my passport.

It should not have happened and I presume that it was more a case of the rules not yet being clear to all immigration officers.

Your case does not seem to fit the criteria for what is considered In-Out and suspected of working in Thailand.

A lot of rules are being changed, leading to a lot of confusion.

I wasn't expecting any problems on arrival and hopefully it was a mistake by the immigration officers, but they took and filed a copy of my passport so Im still going with marriage visa better safe than sorry.

I too work on 28/28 and arrived last week on the usual 30 visa exempt. Although I was not asked any questions, the officer did spend quite a bit of time going through my passport. I set up another thread called 28/28 (which another person has linked to above) where we ask that you re-post the same information. There are many of us asking the same question at the moment, and many are due to come home in the middle of August after the deadline. As you know, the companies we work for usually provide return tickets to our chosen home country and its not easy to alter them, so many of us are interested in your report.

I am off to HK next week to get my marriage visa sorted out so hopefully there will not be any problems going forward. I suggest you do the same.

if you don't contribute they don't want you here, sitting in a bar all day doesn't count, get a proper visa it ain't that difficult...

They would be the sort of people any country would want; seriously cashed up foreigners enjoying their break.

What Visa should he have? He only visits for less than 30 days at a time on his time off.

It has never been about "contribute" or not. That has never been mentioned by any official ever. It's about getting the right visa. If you come for an occasional short vacation that is fine. If you're coming on back to back 28 day in/28 day out visa free visit, according to what they have said that is not fine.

If a Visitor says they are a FIFO worker on work rotation. Then from Thai immigration perspective it sounds like you come to work in Thailand for 28 days then live in some other country for 28 days. How are they to know that it's the other way around? Thai immigration are not with modern times and simply can't get their head around what offshore FIFO work is about.

By producing pay slips and showing the visa (work permit) for the country we work in

This time, I came in armed with pay slips, copy of contract, bank statements, return tickets and copy of marriage license. Luckily I did not have to produce them.

This time, I came in armed with pay slips, copy of contract, bank statements, return tickets and copy of marriage license. Luckily I did not have to produce them.

I never thought about my contract, but will carry it. Luckily the company i work for are real easy to deal with. They are aware of the visa situation that's going on and have basically told me that what ever i want they will provide. They would even have flown me to the UK straight from the rig

As one of these guys i totally agree with you. I fly in on Aug 19th. My passport is full of 28/28 VE's plus a couple of Cambodian IO's. I'm a bit twitchy again as i have paid for flights back to the UK for a holiday with my Mrs and Kid on the 27th aug. I will get married in the week before we go though. When i am in the UK i will be getting my second passport too. So hopefully it will be nice and fresh with the right marriage visa in it to allow me to come and go as i please for the following year and many years after (i know i must get a new visa every year)

I will have a lot of paper work when i next come in like pay slips and will show the guy my Kazakhstan work permit that's in my passport.

Franky. Get your missus to check at the amphur. I just got married and they insisted that we couldn't just turn up as we had to see the head of amphur. Maybe just local rules. Not sure. Also ensure you have your 'affidavit to marry ' that's taking about 4-5 days to sort out at moment. Good luck.

Franky. Get your missus to check at the amphur. I just got married and they insisted that we couldn't just turn up as we had to see the head of amphur. Maybe just local rules. Not sure. Also ensure you have your 'affidavit to marry ' that's taking about 4-5 days to sort out at moment. Good luck.

Cheers mate. If i don't have time i will go to the UK on the holiday, get my new fresh second passport, get the required multi entry. Then next hitch i am off for the full 28 in Thailand i'll get married and get the marriage Type O

Cheers

IMHO the OP is not a tourist, is he? As he admits to coming to live with his TGF for a month 5 times a year, so I guess you can't be a tourist if you aren't going about doing tourist activities so technically Thai Imm are right, although I do sympathize with the OP. As he himself states he needs to get the right entry visa.

I fail to see what's so complicated about visa that most people here don't get. It's not only about the work. As was mentioned in another reply - it's about the CORRECT type of visa.

Say a friend of yours has a couple of months free time and wants to come visit you (and stay with you) - you'd probably want him/her to leave at the end of the agreed term of the visit - something like a 60 days tourist visa.

Another friend might be in the neighborhood or on the way somewhere which puts him near your home and would like to pop in for a short visit - you'd expect him to be on his way after his short agreed upon visit as well - and that's kind of like the visa exempt program which is really an extension of a transit visa.

Now - if that friend would have been working somewhere near your home and would like to STAY at your home every time he has a day or 2 off - then you'd probably want to come to some sort of an agreement on how he stays, what he can / should do at your home and maybe even share some rent and other expenses with you, as now he is NOT a VISITOR any longer, now he actually RESIDES in your home - that's the different visa categories like retirement, marriage, business.

The OP states that in 1 year of his current passport he's been in Thailand an accumulated time of 150 days. Hardy the occasional visitor, and immigration officers were kind enough to tell him he need to get the correct type of visa for his situation.

Same goes for all those who get an easy and cheap ED visa and think now it's OK for them to stay and do whatever they want (which in most cases does not include studying....), well, go get the CORRECT type of visa for your actual purpose. It's not so difficult nor very costly to do the right thing here.

• Like 2

Thailand is lucky the OP is already married.

The oil, gas and mining guys that do not already have a spouse or family will not put up this this crap.

They will move to another country that appreciates their spending.

Lots already have, I know 3 guys just gone on rotation that avoided Thailand due to uncertainty.

I have been advised to stay on a retirement visa even though I am married here. This was advise from a lawyer.

Tell me if there are other opinions on this

You don't need a lawyer for any visa or extension of stay.

You can get an extension of stay based in marriage.

The reason the lawyer will suggest a Retirement extension is that it is easier for him. Depending on your circumstances it may be the correct choice for you.

You can't get PR.

You can't work legally.

You need twice the money in the bank or a higher income or combination of both.

You can't get citizenship.

You can combine money in the bank and income and if you do there is no seasoning time for the bank deposit. (Though I guess that the income needs to be a significant percentage, I don't know any detail.)

Less paperwork.

Faster (usually same day)

Nonsense I have spoken with immigration officials and every one has told me without contradiction that there's not a problem FIFO 28/28 or any other rotation.

Any of them in Phuket ??

Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi.

I am flying out again today for a week and will be obtaining another 30 day stamp on entry upon return.

As I said I have spoken to a number of officials on this matter and they resolutely say this will not apply to me. I work ad hoc and not on rotation so in and out all the time for various lengths of time. Don't let the scaremongering get to you,

IMHO the OP is not a tourist, is he? As he admits to coming to live with his TGF for a month 5 times a year, so I guess you can't be a tourist if you aren't going about doing tourist activities so technically Thai Imm are right, although I do sympathize with the OP. As he himself states he needs to get the right entry visa.

Spending money and relaxing in a foreign country when you are off work is the very definition of tourism.

• Like 2

Spending money and relaxing in a foreign country when you are off work is the very definition of tourism.

But is it still a foreign country when it's the only country you reside in on a regular basis?

unfortunately the person you need to convince is the Immigration officer in front of you when you arrive..

we are not privy to the instructions that have been given to them regarding potential abusers of their system..

the fact that one can "holiday" every other month in the same country naturally may give rise to a higher level of interest..

do you stay in a hotel for your holiday? or have you bought a property here? it could be construed that in effect you have made Thailand your "home"

all supposition at this point..but it would seem that, at the least, one may expect closer scrutiny on arrival...

Uh, I don't work and have enough money. I m under 50.

I visit thailand 9 months a year and spend 3 months in Europe.

I usually ask for tourist visa in Europe or come on a 30 days visa waiver then after 30 days i go to Lao to get a 2 entries tourist visa.

This time I m leaving thailand after 6 months here. I m not going to Lao for another visa with the risk to be denied.

Last time I was in Lao, all farangs I speak with, were here to get a tourist visa and told me they work as an English teacher without work permit.

I will wait in Europe to see what happen in Thailand.

Edited by bitcoinman

But is it still a foreign country when it's the only country you reside in on a regular basis?

In no way is this considered 'residence' and even us offshore guys refer to our time off as R&R.

If you are in anyway concerned take a copy of your contract, seaman's book or other professional documents to show immigration. It won't be a problem.

There are plenty tourists who like to sit in a bar all day!

Once you have seen a temple and the dancing, you have seen it and climbing all those steps doesn't appeal.

The guy is a tourist and should be welcomed as such.

Thailand is lucky the OP is already married.

The oil, gas and mining guys that do not already have a spouse or family will not put up this this crap.

They will move to another country that appreciates their spending.

Perhaps that is the long term plan anyway, no need for the Junta to clear out the beer bars. Once the oil, gas and mining money moves on... Patong, Pattaya, Pat Pong and Soi Cowboy will be reduced to nothing more that a sea of "shop for rent" signs.

Crash in the condo market anyone?

I know a few F. I. F. O. guys who have changed their plans for R&R, & will not wait for more uncertainty or tolerate being treated like a criminal at the airport in Thailand. I'm willing to have a go at getting a visa. I've been quoted 30k Baht to fix a retirement visa here in Thailand, 20k to do in Australia,,,,,,,,,,, so first off I've been trying to prove I'm a tourist,( hotel bookings I didn't need etc for 30 day exemption ) and now I've got to retire & bring swags of money in to the country to satisfy the requirements. I have the time and the inclination organise a visa myself, I don't want to pay what these visa companies are asking. In my case if I do all the work it will only cost around 6000 Baht.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Here in Chiang Mai an agent will run you up a retire visa for less than 8K - previosly, I did a multi retire visa in Australia for less than 300 AUD this included medical and police certificate, in my case my pension fund letter and substantiating bank statement fulfilled the financial requirements. There are certain frustrations to put up with in most countries including Australia. I think the Thais are smart to get a grip on visa situation. Still some of the quotes are definately worrying for folks in the limelight but a timely warning for the rest of 'us' to clarify our visas.

Edited by Capt Rob

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just his opinion...

So by his argument/opinion, he is basically saying that tourists (which the VEE is a solution for) should be restricted to the number of times they are allowed to visit the country?

The scope of immigration stops at the borders, what the person does when they are not in the country should not be of consequence to them.

Just sayin'........................wink.png

Simple solution !!!

Get a single entry tourist visa before you come again

Needed a true genius to say something like that. Since you're so smart surely you can suggest, how a person that is kept the entire time on a platform 200 miles from shore can apply for a visa. Oh wait, sure they can take the time off their rest schedule!

In reality I think you're just uncomfortable with the fact that some people has a different lifestyle that your, and that there are laws and regulations that allows them not to waste money, time and passport pages on a Thai visa, unlike you that certainly have to.

Well said haha.

The real acid test is after the 12/13th.

I get the feeling if anything, we will each get a "warning" and allowed through.....after that if we don;t get a visa we might have problems