can I marry in my home town without visiting bkk

Hey all, my husband to be and I are getting married in one month, we live in krabi and I am a British citizen and him Thai. We are all set for the trek to bkk to go to the Brit embassy and then the ministry and as we were already in bkk we were just going to marry there. Now its my understanding we can actually marry in krabi but the reason why we were doing it in bkk was purely because I thought I had to go to do the affidavit, get it translated and then go to the ministry. I've since been told by two married couples that I don't need to go to bkk at all. Both women are Ozzie and Thai husbands. Neither went to bkk. Does anyone know of this is correct or not or have I missed something. I thought you had to visit said embassies and then the ministry or is there an electronic way? Any correct advice pref from Brits who have done this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Edited by Getyourfactsright

you still need to prove that you were not married before, this means you need the Affirmation to Marry from the Embassy

+1.

And, IIRC, the letter of affirmation has to be translated into Thai (by a certified translator).

Just going through the same process, but it's the other way round Aussie man, Thai girl. The translation service that I used for an extra charge has send my translated documents to the ministry for me. All I do is visit the shop again in a few days to pick them up. Then off to the local Amphur

But you still have to visit the embassy to get the affidavit stamped.

Good luck

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

you still need to prove that you were not married before, this means you need the Affirmation to Marry from the Embassy

This is incorrect. You make it seem that you cannot marry if you have been divorced in the past. They need to check to make sure you are not PRESENTLY married back home or that if you were married at one time that you are now OFFICIALLY divorced.

Just going through the same process, but it's the other way round Aussie man, Thai girl. The translation service that I used for an extra charge has send my translated documents to the ministry for me. All I do is visit the shop again in a few days to pick them up. Then off to the local Amphur

Good luck

Thank you, we were thinking of using a service too. How much has it cost you if you don't mind me asking.
  • Like 1

Having got married in Thailand to my partner of 20 years you must complete a form at the Embassy in Bangkok if you are divorced you have to provide documentary evidence, you then have to have this all translated into Thai and then take it to the Thai government office in Bangkok once this is all completed you are free to choose where you marry in my case we were at the embassy at 9am by 4 pm that day we were husband and wife this was some 5 years ago and if I am correct it cost in the region of 5,000 baht for all documents and translations . Hope this helps and have a beautiful day wherever you choose to be married.

There are two types of marriage in Thailand the legal one where you must go to your embassy and do all the documentation as stated in my previous reply the other is when you have a village type wedding which a lot of Thais do and that is when everyone gathers the monks do a lot of chanting and praying and once they have been fed they go back to there temple, however this type of marriage is not recognised in the UK as no documentation marriage certificate is issued from what I am told it just makes family happy as it has the blessing of the monks .I suppose the good thing about it is if the relationship falls apart then you just walk away, if you were relying on getting a visa by marriage then I would imagine it would have to be by the legal way which means a trip to your embassy.

Good luck

Thank you, we were thinking of using a service too. How much has it cost you if you don't mind me asking.

They charged me 700 baht for the service plus the costs that the ministry charge. Because I had divorce papers as well as the affidavit they said the ministry would charge 1000 and 400 for the papers.

My wife and I did not have to go to the britsih embassy. I had my late wife death certificate which I had translated into thai. We were married in our home with monks her family and nearly the whole village. Then we went to the local amphur office to have the marriage registered show them the death cert  and receive a marriage certificate. Have been living in Thailand for eight years on a marriage visa.     

Get married in the temple. Easy without legal complications or obligations. If he is a dud just pull the plug. Real marriages are made between the ears and in the heart. A piece of paper is just that - a piece of paper. 

I have been wedded to my Thai wife for three years. I see no difference between this marriage or a legal one. 

Having got married in Thailand to my partner of 20 years you must complete a form at the Embassy in Bangkok if you are divorced you have to provide documentary evidence, you then have to have this all translated into Thai and then take it to the Thai government office in Bangkok once this is all completed you are free to choose where you marry in my case we were at the
embassy at 9am by 4 pm that day we were husband and wife this was some 5 years ago and if I am correct it cost in the region of 5,000 baht for all documents and translations . Hope this helps and have a beautiful day wherever you choose to be married.

Thank you very much.

Get married in the temple. Easy without legal complications or obligations. If he is a dud just pull the plug. Real marriages are made between the ears and in the heart. A piece of paper is just that - a piece of paper. 

I have been wedded to my Thai wife for three years. I see no difference between this marriage or a legal one. 

Sounds good but the only problem there would be with visa's if you wanted to return to your homeland. You probably don't have any plans to return but things could change so easily, we all know that what we plan for sometimes doesn't work.

The main reason I am getting an official paper wedding is that I have to return to Australia soon and I want to take my family with me, this wasn't in my plans but things have changed.

Aside from the other documents mentioned (affirmation of single etc)  when I married my wife, we went to the BKK office for the marriage certification (I think it was near HSBC an Q-House).  The place was a mad house and they were quite strict on all issues, some of which we were not able to clear up at the time. 

We went back to her home town in Tahkli and finalised the marriage in about 1 hour without any issues.

I'd suggest you do what you can in the home town and avoid BKK as much as possible.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My wife and I did not have to go to the britsih embassy. I had my late wife death certificate which I had translated into thai. We were married in our home with monks her family and nearly the whole village. Then we went to the local amphur office to have the marriage registered show them the death cert  and receive a marriage certificate. Have been living in Thailand for eight years on a marriage visa.     

Your local Amphur clearly does not understand the rules as you are required to produce an affidavit that you are free to marry. This must be notarised by your embassy, officially translated into Thai and then it must be authorised by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You do not have to produce divorce papers or death certificates at the Amphur although some embassies will ask for them when you sign your affidavit. The UK embassy has a template which you can copy and print off for this purpose. The translators all crowd outside the Notary Office and the prices are negotiable. The Thai Ministry charges 400 baht or 800 baht express service (while you wait). The translators will tell you they have to take the document but this isn't true they are just trying to make more profit, although its much easier if you let them do it, just negotiate a good price. You can marry at any Amphur in Thailand with the correct documents but we were advised to marry in BKK as they were not fazed by the paperwork. You don't need an appointment just turn up fill in the form sign and you're married. Kor Ror 2 is the marriage certificate and you will also need Kor Ror 3 marriage entry certificate if you wish to apply for visas.

Thanks to every body for the advice. I am clear on what I have to do and unfortunately it will mean a trip to bangkok. I just wanted to clarify if i could do it in the home town or not but no getting out of that. We are there a week so time should be ok. As for the posters saying do the monk ceremony neither of us want this and as a poster said already for future plans the legal way is how we want to go. The kor por 3 is that something we can get after? For when we eventually head overseas .

Thanks to every body for the advice. I am clear on what I have to do and unfortunately it will mean a trip to bangkok. I just wanted to clarify if i could do it in the home town or not but no getting out of that. We are there a week so time should be ok. As for the posters saying do the monk ceremony neither of us want this and as a poster said already for future plans the legal way is how we want to go. The kor por 3 is that something we can get after? For when we eventually head overseas .

i believe the Kor Ror 2 is the document you get that accompanies the marriage cert (Kor Ror 3) and you receive both from the Ampur when you have all the documents signed etc

they also gave us several copies of both for use later (visas etc)