Tourist Arrivals In Thailand

baboon

O.K. Im confused.I read here and other sites that tourist arrivals are way down.But when I ask people in various resorts,it seems businesses need baseball bats to fight off the legions of customers.What is the truth here?

O.K. Im confused.I read here and other sites that tourist arrivals are way down.But when I ask people in various resorts,it seems businesses need baseball bats to fight off the legions of customers.What is the truth here?

Baboon: ''How's business?''

PIVR: ''We've got no customers''

Baboon: ''I can get a cheap room then?''

PIVR: ''Er ... no, we've got to fight them off with baseball bats really''

Baboon: ''OK, I'll pay full high-season price then''

Edited by MarkBKK

Baboon: ''How's business?''

PIVR: ''We've got no customers''

Baboon: ''I can get a cheap room then?''

PIVR: ''Er ... no, we've got to fight them off with baseball bats really''

Baboon: ''OK, I'll pay full high-season price then''

:o:D:D

P.S. If the figures are indeed down,why?

Perhaps because international airfares this summer have skyrocketed. Average prices from the US were about $1,400 with only a slight decrease if both departure and return were within the month of July.

Perhaps because international airfares this summer have skyrocketed. Average prices from the US were about $1,400 with only a slight decrease if both departure and return were within the month of July.

How’s about these perceptions of Thailand?

1. Thailand has an apparently unstable government at the moment.

2. The baht has been relatively strong for about a year now so Thailand is no longer a cheap destination

3. Bad publicity from places lie Pattaya and foreigners being attacked/killed

4. Crime is perceived to be on the increase.

5. The unrest in the South and mal treatment of Muslims and dissidents.

6. The quality of holidays has declined.

7. Pristine beaches are fewer and fewer, people return to they favourite island paradise to find it is now overrun with cars and concrete.

8. People are going elsewhere to find good eco-tourism sites.

9. Rampant development is spoiling the environment and raising costs of accommodation.

10. Flights are more expensive.

11. People are limiting the amount of long haul flights they make for economic and ecological reasons.

12. We’re having a particularly wet wet season.

13. The world cup is on.

2. The baht has been relatively strong for about a year now so Thailand is no longer a cheap destination

7. Pristine beaches are fewer and fewer, people return to they favourite island paradise to find it is now overrun with cars and concrete.

9. Rampant development is spoiling the environment and raising costs of accommodation.

11. People are limiting the amount of long haul flights they make for economic and ecological reasons.

13. The world cup is on.

Food for thought there.Cheers.Anyone have a link for the official statistics?

If the figures are indeed down,why?

1. Outragous air ticket prices.

2. Political Crisis.

3. Foreigners being murdered.

4. Tsunami

5. SARS

6. Terrorist problems

Take your pick!

I doubt SARS has much impact!!! but bird flu might put off one or two!

every year they say this, and every year there is something to blame.

prices are up, chickn/bird7baboon/cow flu, Natural disasters etc........

same in every tourist destination in the world.

Tourism is an up and down thing. The general trend is for 7 years it waxes, and then for 7 years it wanes.

No Big deal. Look at the grander scale.

prices up nonetheless more so than average salaries anywhere.

I have been visiting and living in LOS since 1991 and for the first time I have people telling me Thailand is a nice enough place but no,they will not be back next year.Plenty of other destinations they wish to visit.In the 90s,this would have been unthinkable.Anyone else hearing the same?

I have people telling me Thailand is a nice enough place but no,they will not be back next year.Plenty of other destinations they wish to visit.In the 90s,this would have been unthinkable.Anyone else hearing the same?

I have been hearing this since I first arrived here, but I see keep those same faces year after year going on about not coming back next year.

I wouldn't worry a whole bunch about it. :o

I know at least half a dozen who think these are great deals and have already booked for September...

local Advert in The Times....

OK it might not be the MOST exciting thing in the world but you are talking TOOORists who just want to lie on a beach for 10 days with everything chucked in.. :o and spend a bit of that Funny luvely jubbli Thai money .....we got 72.224536 for a £1.....wot did you get?..they will still come....as long as...

They are not interested in Staying..

Not bothered about Temples/Elephants/Thai Politics/Visa Runs /Double pricing...hey man we is on our Hols...yeah...150 bt for a beer ....that sounds cheap...we pay................................at home

The Travel Collection....£675

Thai Beach..All Inclusive ...10 nights...including meals and drinks

The Regent is a simple, relaxed 1st class hotel on a long sandy beach at quiet Cha Am.

Rooms: Thai village style, around restaurant and pool; air-conditioning, shower/wc, minibar, phone, patio overlooking gardens. Tennis, squash. Shuttle service (small charge) to nearby Hua Hin.

All Inclusive:

Buffet breakfast, light lunch, table d’hote dinner.

Selected local alcoholic and soft drinks: 1100-2300hrs daily.

All food/drink served in Chalet Cafe pavilion. :D

At the end of the experience they will go home after "doing LOS" and will tell everyone that Thai food over there tastes different from the Stuff served up in their local "Cock & Dragon"and the locals are so...luv-lay and always smiling and cant do enough for you.......and the taxis are all airconditioned with nice drivers who took them everwhere for only 2,500 baht.......

13. The world cup is on.

I wonder if dr. PP has seen this thread yet? :o