Khon Kaen flights disaster

Totster

I have just read that Thai Smile is moving it's flights to Don Muang, Khon Kaen being serviced by Thai Smile.

This is a disaster for anyone wishing to connect to international flights at Suvarnabhumi as now will have to endure the ride across city, potentially during peak times when it can take 2 hours +

So now, we have 3 airlines all flying into Don Muang, which is a dated shit hole at best. The only reason I stayed flying with Thai is because it went to Suvarnabhumi, now I will fly Air Asia which is cheaper as I suspect many others will.

Bunch of morons.

totster smile.png

//edit - link http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/08/01/thai-smile-move-don-mueang

Edited by Totster

Good excuse ofr a stopover in Bangkok for the night!

How to make the best out of a bad situation? Take the bad part and make it the good part. Of course, the hotel, restaurant, beer and potential company will up your actual costs by 400 percent...but that is exactly their plan.

Now I know it wouldn't make much sense to fly both airlines out of KK but has Thai Airlines said that they will discontinue flights to Swampy?

No they haven't. But now you only have two (!) flights per day to the international airport left.

Worse than in the nineties.

And it is outrageous that this change has been announced with a seven day (!) warning period.

Flights are not only shifted to DMK., but flight times changed too, e.g. one hour later and to DMK.

I personally know people who had a valid booking for Aug 8 and 9 and now are in trouble, as they can not make it to their international connection in time.

Another nicety: currently online booking of Thai Smile flights can only be paid via credit card, no more ATM payment (as is still possible with TG).

And of course: credit card holder has to show up. Makes booking/paying for family members a mess.

Very annoying.

The only reason I stayed flying with Thai is because it went to Suvarnabhumi, now I will fly Air Asia which is cheaper as I suspect many others will.

The only good thing: they have some introductory prices of 940 Baht to DMK which are not beaten by Air Asia so far.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

The new schedule from Aug 8th onward.

Flight numbers 1xxx are operated by Thai Smile.

The two remaining flihts to Suv are genuine TG flights.

KKC to Bangkok

====================================================================

08:45 Khon Kaen (KKC) 09:40 Bangkok - Don Mueang International (DMK)
Thai Airways International(TG1041)

12:25 Khon Kaen (KKC) 13:20 Bangkok - Suvarnabhumi International (BKK)
Thai Airways International(TG45)

14:45 Khon Kaen (KKC) 15:40 Bangkok - Don Mueang International (DMK)
Thai Airways International(TG1045)

17:45 Khon Kaen (KKC) 18:40 Bangkok - Don Mueang International (DMK)
Thai Airways International(TG1053)

20:00 Khon Kaen (KKC) 21:00 Bangkok - Suvarnabhumi International (BKK)
Thai Airways International(TG47)

Bangkok to KKC

====================================================================

07:15 Bangkok - Don Mueang International (DMK) 08:10 Khon Kaen (KKC)
Thai Airways International(TG1040)

10:45 Bangkok - Suvarnabhumi International (BKK) 11:40 Khon Kaen (KKC)
Thai Airways International(TG44)

13:20 Bangkok - Don Mueang International (DMK) 14:15 Khon Kaen (KKC)
Thai Airways International(TG1044)

16:20 Bangkok - Don Mueang International (DMK) 17:15 Khon Kaen (KKC)
Thai Airways International(TG1052)

18:20 Bangkok - Suvarnabhumi International (BKK) 19:15 Khon Kaen (KKC)
Thai Airways International(TG46)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks for the clarification BenQ,

The only good thing: they have some introductory prices of 940 Baht to DMK which are not beaten by Air Asia so far.

Note - 'introductory'

totster smile.png

Thai Smile is at the end of the day run by the same cadre of idiots that drove TG into the toilet. I have no doubt AirAsia will respond, probably because it's a real airline, run by real business people, and Thai Smile will go into the same death spiral as TG (it never has made a profit in its 2 years of existence)

On the positive side, I rarely make any international connections these days, so the competition and frequency to DMK from KKC has pleased me no end. Never really needed what was essentially a 1000฿ box meal on an aging A300-600 for a 45 minute flight.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I read the whole thread.........2 flights a day to bkk is enough for me....... Thanks for clarification BENQ.......... I'm sure totster opened this thread to p*ss me off, knowing full well I'm about to return.......

• Like 1

Since we use Air Asia to Australia, I actually prefer that outdated sht hole DM.

Just seems less walking involved compared to Swampy, and less people.

Anyhow seems there's still flights at least twice a day into Swamp, seems they are offering both airports now. Great news.

The real Q is why it has taken so long for AA to get a Khon Khaen base! Bit like the Samui saga?

AA has serviced Khon Kaen on and off for quite a few years already. They add and take away the route depending on the whims of economy and competition.

Are they kidding??

Checked a oneway booking for 16th Sep from KKC to DMK with ThaiSmile.

Cheapest offer: 2010 Baht !?

Checked ThaiAir (TG) to Suv. Same date: 1350 Baht!

AirAsia to DMK: 590 Baht (920 with baggage).

Still true: two oneway bookings with TG give cheaper offers than one return flight.

Are they kidding??

Checked a oneway booking for 16th Sep from KKC to DMK with ThaiSmile.

Cheapest offer: 2010 Baht !?

Checked ThaiAir (TG) to Suv. Same date: 1350 Baht!

AirAsia to DMK: 590 Baht (920 with baggage).

Still true: two oneway bookings with TG give cheaper offers than one return flight.

i just did better, sakon to dmk 390 baht. promotion with aa. starts in october. that is with just hand luggage. 590 with 20 kg.

greattttt. sm competition for nok air at last.

• Like 1

I found out that my afternoon flight towards the end of August was affected by the change. TG in Khon Kaen let me switch to the earlier Swampy flight at no charge, but I had received no information from them about the changed destination airport - thank goodness for the forum,

• 4 weeks later...

Just used AA from DM to KK and back. Good to be at DM again.

The only problem was the taxis. From KK airport into town, they refuse to put the meter on and want a 200 baht rate. Back from KK town to airport was 150 baht, again refused to use meter. Will be glad when the army gets here and starts to kick a few butts.

Just used AA from DM to KK and back. Good to be at DM again.

The only problem was the taxis. From KK airport into town, they refuse to put the meter on and want a 200 baht rate. Back from KK town to airport was 150 baht, again refused to use meter. Will be glad when the army gets here and starts to kick a few butts.

Army has 'been, seen & gone'. Right after the coup they had a very cozy encampment of sandbags and what seemed like an armored car car parked for show, all set up on the side of the road at the traffic lights after the airport as you go into town. Lasted about 2 weeks I think, then vanished never to be seen again.

They must all have been deployed down south, to sort out those rebellious deck chairs!

• Like 1