Problem with postal item stuck at Customs Department

I have purchased a therapeutic device from USA recently and the supplier sent it as per my request using USPS (standard US Postal Service), since this does not normally cause issues with arbitrary rates of import duty being appled in Thailand.  However, according to the tracking web site for USPS and Thailand Post, the goods arrived in Thailand last Sunday 27th but shows no status update since then.

July 27, 2014 10:42:04    BANGKOK MAIL CENTER    Accept
July 27, 2014 11:48:55    BANGKOK MAIL CENTER    To Customs

I have used USPS several times recently, and the goods have always been posted directly to me without delay.

However, this supplier, without me being aware of it, has marked the goods "Magnetic Device".  The device is fairly urgent to me because it is for a medical condition, although the device itself is not classified as medical equipment.

Can anyone please advise, what is the usual procedure when goods are in this status?  I have received no notification in any form.

You should have received a notification from Thai Post. Since you did not, you need to go to the post office (I would think the GPO on Charoen Krung Road will have the parcel) with the tracking number and enquire about this shipment. They will then tell you what to do to get it out of customs. Bring your passport and the commercial invoice, those documents you will need for sure. You might have to pay import duties, so prepare some money.

Note: Medical devices require an import licence from the FDA. However, I know only about commercial imports, there may be an exception if you bring it in for personal use, I don't know about that.

It seems the Customs are checking the incoming parcels a lot more diligently

than they have in the past,as  the country needs the money to pay

for the mess the previous Govt. left. expect to pay duty and VAT.

regards worgeordie

You will either get a notification from:

- post office: bring the notification and your ID and pick up your parcel. The amount to be paid should be on this form.

- thai customs: bring the notification, your ID and a photocopy of your ID and pick up at Thai customs which is here:

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/414d586c-f112-426c-b172-8f29d91328b5/Postal+customs+house+%28English+Version%29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=414d586c-f112-426c-b172-8f29d91328b5

We never had any problems before either with USPS, but the last parcel was in customs for over a week.

I had to pick it up there. Not a major thing. You just have to open it up in front of a customs officer and explain what it is, pay duty and you're done.

Hope you will receive a notification from the post office and not customs, because going to 111 soi Chaeng Watthana 5 is a PITA. (distance wise)

You will either get a notification from:

- post office: bring the notification and your ID and pick up your parcel. The amount to be paid should be on this form.

- thai customs: bring the notification, your ID and a photocopy of your ID and pick up at Thai customs which is here:

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/414d586c-f112-426c-b172-8f29d91328b5/Postal+customs+house+%28English+Version%29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=414d586c-f112-426c-b172-8f29d91328b5

We never had any problems before either with USPS, but the last parcel was in customs for over a week.

I had to pick it up there. Not a major thing. You just have to open it up in front of a customs officer and explain what it is, pay duty and you're done.

Hope you will receive a notification from the post office and not customs, because going to 111 soi Chaeng Watthana 5 is a PITA. (distance wise)

I had A shipment of prescription medicine stuck in customs for 10 days prior to being released. This was about 2 weeks ago.

Lefty

Sometimes things get bogged down passing through Customs. The 27th July was a Sunday, so I doubt anything was done then.

I had a couple of things delayed recently by the long holiday in mid-July that may have caused a back-log, but other than that things sent to me have arrived as expected without any issues with Customs. Those two things came through without further problem and with only a slight delay.

There is a contact link at the upper right of the tracking page  http://track.thailandpost.co.th/trackinterneT/DEFAULT.ASPX

I used it once when the tracking page seemed to indicate that something I was expecting got stuck at some point. They responded quickly, but since Customs and the P.O. are two different operations, in your case the P.O. may not know the cause of the delay if it's a Customs issue.

Edited by Suradit69

For your info.....I imported a hi end model radio control sailboat from Germany... it was at the  IN CUSTOMS  stage for 3 weeks! before it got sent on to me!

Sounds like a high end aquatic drone.. giggle.gif

For your info.....I imported a hi end model radio control sailboat from Germany... it was at the  IN CUSTOMS  stage for 3 weeks! before it got sent on to me!

Seems odd - I imported an audiophile USB cable (dont ask ..) from a US supplier a few weeks back and from the tracking info it spent a few hours in Customs at most. Supposed to have a bunch of CDs coming via Amazon on August 12 - will report back if they are held up in Customs. 

FWIW, I have my mail delivered to my MBE mailbox - they kindly paid the ~100 baht Customs duty and I reimbursed them when they called me to tell me the package had arrived. If past info is correct, I dont believe the CD order will attract any duty, but I was more than happy with a 100 baht charge on the cable given the exorbitant amount the seller charged me for shipping. 

Hmm certainly a nice piece of work, not quite a drone

My delay could have been all paperwork invoices etc enclosed was in German, the parcel was thoroughly investigated and taxes collected exactly as I calculated so I could not complain except for the amount!!!! ouch