The use of crash helmets will be discouraged in Deep South

Lite Beer

Wearing of Crash Helmets should never be a legal requirement as it does not increase any danger to other people only yourself.  Laws are supposed to be to protect others form your stupidity or wickedness and this law only protects you from yourself as though you were a child.  Sorry but scrap Crash Helmet laws and let the police spend the gained misspent effort on catching the real dangerous idiots without lights, riding down the wrong side of the road, jumping red lights and 3 or more on one bike. Now that would save lives and that of other innocent folk too.  

Now having said that I am not such an idiot to not wear a decent crash helmet always when riding a motorbike as I value and enjoy my life, and even a cycling helmet when riding a push bike too.  BUT that is entirely my choice as a free adult as I am not affecting anyone other than myself if I choose to be stupid and not wear one.  Same for all adults, as they say here it should be up to them.  I do not want to have to put up wit a nanny state anywhere as I respect freedom to do what you want as long as that does not risk or impinge adversely on others unnecessarily..

What you say sounds plausible until you start to think about it a little more deeply.

So, governments have a  duty to protect citizens, this does not mean that the policies and laws are always liked by all people. For the wearing of crash helmets the government has the resources to do very extensive research on the statistics on how much a helmet really does protect you and also the likelihood you will be killed if you have an accident whilst not wearing one. General members of the public do not have the resource and so it is the governments duty to educate and inform.

But like most of these things there are people that don't listen or don't care and have a very slack attitude towards these things, or there are even people like you that scream nanny state for something that is so clearly common sense.

This has been going on for decades in other countries and people generally get it. But even in those countries today people still do stupid things that can harm themselves or others such as not wearing a helmet, riding or driving on bald tyres and many other things. 

I also do not believe that not wearing a helmet is only an issue for the rider. You can smash your head open very easily at even 30kmh which of course can be fatal. So, if a car driver makes a slight error and knocks you off at low speed it is very traumatic for the driver to have to deal with the guilt of killing someone just because that idiot did not wear a helmet.. And what if the rider is a parent (or heaven forbid a single parent) and gets killed because they were not wearing a helmet. You now have the impact on the children, relatives and in the case of a single parent the state now have to provide for the kids whilst suitable home can be found. (if you don't care about the kids then just remember its your tax that pays for that)

i could go on but I hope you get the picture. I wish everyone had common sense but they just don't, so it is the law. It is a law that doesn't harm anyone and it is a law that save lives and if you don't see that side of it you are missing the whole point.

• Like 1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kind of reminds me of a Transport Minister a few years back who, during an interview, stated: "Thai don't really need to wear motorbike helmets as are heads are naturally harder than those of other people."  I laughed till I had tears in my eyes at the twisted "truth" of his illogical statement.

Is that true, really,, I would love to see that. Please tell me you know where the statement was made,,

Anyway, I believe you and I am reliving your experience right now of laughing with tears in my eye,,,,

• Like 2

There is another way around this..... In Colombia, after years of terrorist bombings and assassinations,  all motorbike drivers and riders have to wear safety vests and helmets with decals that match the license tag.  If you are caught without a helmet, vest, or that doesn't match the tag, it is assumed you are up to no good and immediately detained by police. So, it really is a win win. Safer for the bikers, safer for the security forces. 

Very very good idea Firemedic well stated anyway Thailand is a Buddhist country all muslims who do not want to  live peacefully here should be sent out to a muslim country its about time all other countries adapted the same rules as Japan dont let them in then problem solved. Your religion should be a private thing and not crowing at the top of your voice through loud speakers in the early hours of the morning and any other time of the day so as intimidate other citizens.    

Edited by LUSHGOAT

All over the world, behind the crash helmet laws (and so many other laws), are the insurance companies. It's not about saving lives, individual safety etc, it's about making more money. Everywhere, the elected politicians who vote these laws are lobbied in a million different ways, coerced into doing it. Clever 'communication' then does the make-up job and turns it into another 'we care for you, we're doing this for your own good' measure.

Insurance companies, along with oil companies, banks and pharmaceutical labs, are among the financial giants who are in fact dictating the rules (almost) all over the world because we have (almost) all been brainwhashed into thinking that democracy and capitalism are one and the same thing. Only in a regime such as we have now in this country can rules like the one described in the OP come into effect. In any 'democracy' it would simply not happen because it would cost too much money to the insurance giants, so they'd find a way to kill it in the womb.

Here's the frustrating paradox ... everyone in his right mind longs for democracy, but everywhere you look, democracies are in fact hijacked by commercial/industrial/financial powers who care not a bit about ethics, morals, justice, freedom, equality etc. The creepy factor is that the very nature of democracy allows that to happen.

Oh dear,,, it could just be that wearing helmets save lives,,,

Did you also know that the whole world is actually run by a small organisation who are actually aliens who look like giant, green lizards.

Check out some vintage David Icke, That will put your conspiracy theory mentality into overdrive..

People talk about motorcyclists having insurance! How many people actually have motor cycle insurance? I have asked several riders if they have insurance for their motor-bike and the answer is "no".So it is of scant importance whether or not non-helmeted bikers are eligible for insurance protection. This might be the law in the West, where riding a bike without insurance is considered a crime, but we are not in the West. Is it a crime in Thailand? Once upon a time I had a motor-cycle, and that carried no insurance. Now I drive a car, and that has full insurance. Does that mean that the only people on the roads who are insured are those driving four wheeled vehicles? That would appear to be the case to me, but please correct me if I am wrong!

I don't know about anyone else but we have 2 bikes and 1 car and they all have insurance. I would be interesting to know how many others have it for their bikes. I'm pretty certain that most of the Thais in my area don't but then ithey don't have tax or licence plates either and many are driven by children too young to have a licence or insurance.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."  The Thai command speaks a language I do not understand.  Not to wear a crash helmet while on a motorcycle is like smoking 4 packs of cigarettes a day!  

Not to wear helmets as a 'security measure' is ludicrous in my opinion.  Security for who?  Security exchange for the endangerment of its citizens does not seem to be a sustained concept.   

guess this will make it 2 strikes out of 3:

• don't wear helmet on the road can be bad for your health, also dependant on what road you are on...
  • don't wear helmet in the bed can be bad for your health, also dependant upon who's bed you are in...

All over the world, behind the crash helmet laws (and so many other laws), are the insurance companies. It's not about saving lives, individual safety etc, it's about making more money. Everywhere, the elected politicians who vote these laws are lobbied in a million different ways, coerced into doing it. Clever 'communication' then does the make-up job and turns it into another 'we care for you, we're doing this for your own good' measure.

Insurance companies, along with oil companies, banks and pharmaceutical labs, are among the financial giants who are in fact dictating the rules (almost) all over the world because we have (almost) all been brainwhashed into thinking that democracy and capitalism are one and the same thing. Only in a regime such as we have now in this country can rules like the one described in the OP come into effect. In any 'democracy' it would simply not happen because it would cost too much money to the insurance giants, so they'd find a way to kill it in the womb.

Here's the frustrating paradox ... everyone in his right mind longs for democracy, but everywhere you look, democracies are in fact hijacked by commercial/industrial/financial powers who care not a bit about ethics, morals, justice, freedom, equality etc. The creepy factor is that the very nature of democracy allows that to happen.

Oh dear,,, it could just be that wearing helmets save lives,,,

Did you also know that the whole world is actually run by a small organisation who are actually aliens who look like giant, green lizards.

Check out some vintage David Icke, That will put your conspiracy theory mentality into overdrive..

Yes I think this is the view of someone who does't like being told what to do and dislikes big companies. I believe that in the UK at least although it's true that many people defraud insurance companies they do the same through the accident management firms as well. The trouble with this type of logic is it doesn't add up. Insurance is calculated by risk and if someone isn't wearing a helmet then the risk is higher so it's fairly simple. If you look at smoking then the tax in the UK raised on smoking more than covers the cost of medical treatment so the government loses out if people stop smoking so why do they do it? As for the like insurance companies then it's risk based again. If more people smoked and didn't wear helmets then th ey could charge more.

I agree that smoking and wearing helmets is a personal safety choice but it's the influence on younger people that's the bigger issue. If young people see adults not wearing helmets or smoking they are more likely to do the same. This does differ somewhat between countries but in the UK and many western countries children usually start smoking before they're legally allowed to and at an age when they aren't considered resonsible enough to take that decision. In Thailand most of us must have seen children that at least look as if they're around 10 or even younger riding bikes without helmets and obviously with no licence or insurance either. It's a difficult decision but when you consider that all you're doing is restricting the freedom of a minority of people to risk death and serious injury on public roads then I at least feel it's worth it. I've no idea if the taxes imosed on bikes and cars covers the medical costs or not but I very much doubt they do, at least not in Thailand.

As to wether this no helmet thing will work I don't know but it would need a change in the law surely. Just asking people to break the law would be wrong so the government would have to sanction this and instruct the police as well. Should a government ask people to risk their lives? It would be fairly easy to carry a helmet and put it on shortly before a shooting or bombing. If there were a full network of CCTV then they could the same as in the UK, scan backwards and forwards through the CCTV to the point where the helmets are taken off or put on. Somehow I don't think there sufficient coverage for that plus on past experience they are often vandalised.

• Like 1

What's the logic behind not wearing crash helmets? I don't get it.

Are you being facetious? if not...

Often after attacks RTA / RTP say they are checking CCTV footage. Recently it was announced a further 8,000 CCTV units will be installed in deep South. As someone mentioned, if helmet is used just prior to an attack they could be tracked to the point where they are put on / removed - speculation only, but may have an element of truth.

Someone metioned they have never seen someone wearing a burka / Niqab whilst on a motorbike in Thailand.  I've seen Niqabs regularly used by bike riders in East Pattaya.

Edited by simple1

Whatever nutjob came-up with this nonsense should be put in the corner of the office and watered twice a week.... my ficus has more common sense.

If you welcomed our new masters on May 22, this is what you asked for, and stop whining.

If you did NOT welcome General Sarit and his cro.... military group on May 22, you have in this anecdote one strong proof of why you were right.

Either way, there's a new boss. He's not exactly like the old boss, is he?

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."  The Thai command speaks a language I do not understand.  Not to wear a crash helmet while on a motorcycle is like smoking 4 packs of cigarettes a day!  

{snip}  {snip}

So for 30, 40 years it's no problem to leave your helmet at home. Then something bad might happen. Sounds worthwhile to leave your helmet at home for, say, 25 years then, just to be on the safe side.

Edited by wandasloan

The locals must have already heard about the proposed rule. The photo shows only one person (the mother?) wearing a helmet. 

Husbands ( and some Mothers ) tend to wear helmet protection.

However, turbans have been widely associated as being as protective as a bike helmet in crash, so turbans could be permitted (all three, Muslim, Sikh and Islamist), and allow facial access.

That neither breaks laws of the non-Buddhist religions, nor does it infringe upon road worthy legalities, nor the religions of the South. However, it does not protect the woman riding or driving, as they are not permitted to wear a turban, so a pinky area (like a yellow star) could be imposed upon the wearing of the niqab to differentiate between men and women. If a man is found wearing a pinky area over a niqab then he must immediately be sent to Walking Street in Pattaya to face sentencing from the rear.

Kind of reminds me of a Transport Minister a few years back who, during an interview, stated: "Thai don't really need to wear motorbike helmets as are heads are naturally harder than those of other people."  I laughed till I had tears in my eyes at the twisted "truth" of his illogical statement.

Is that true, really,, I would love to see that. Please tell me you know where the statement was made,,

Anyway, I believe you and I am reliving your experience right now of laughing with tears in my eye,,,,

Very true.  The articles was in the BK Post 2-3 years back, and he was quoted exactly by the foreign reporter.  This same minister said that Thai brains are fully equipped to drive a car or motorbike and talk or text at the same time.  But it was the part about the "harder heads" that cracked me up.