Which Thai person do you most respect?

squarethecircle

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

any Thai willing to stand up for what they perceive as an injustice in their country, any Thai willing to not tow the proverbial line....Any Thai who has some idea about the way the outside world works and doesn't believe Thailand is the center of the universe. Thai's who go out of their way to learn, learn anything....another language, geography, world history....Any Thai who knows I have a name other than "falang." Any Thai who shows an interest in other cultures and ways of life, any Thai that understands that not every country is perfect, including their own and there are still miles to go before things truly are fixed...Any Thai who during Songkran doesn't ask me "how do they celebrate Songkran in your country?" Any Thai who has gone to jail for having the courage to speak their mind freely...including Joe Gordon, GIles Ungpakorn and Grandpa SMS....Any Thai who has made a worldwide contribution to Science, Literature, Peace...etc.....oh wait, there aren't too many of those now are there?

Just to set the record straight, it was Uncle SMS. He did not go to jail for speaking his mind. A message deemed lese majeste was sent from his mobile - and it is generally felt that he lacked the knowledge of how to even answer the phone, let alone send a message. He died in prison.

Cheers.

Eh, it may not have been him verbally speaking his mind but by sending the SMS he was using technology to express an opinion however people felt about that opinion and he was  jailed for it...

Read my post again ... "...it is generally felt that he lacked the knowledge of how to even answer the phone, let alone send a message."

Which part of this do you not understand. The consensus is that he did NOT send any message at all because he did not know how. Someone else sent the message. A tragic incident, but he hardly falls into your "respect" category.

Bill Heinecke

You're having a laugh, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The dude became a billionaire with a $2000 dollar loan.  Not bad but I guess you have something better to share?

Bill Heinecke

You're having a laugh, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The dude became a billionaire with a $2000 dollar loan.  Not bad but I guess you have something better to share?

Kong Rithdee since you ask.

Returning to Heinecke I agree he is an excellent and well connected businessman but his record in getting there is full of "unflattering incident".(I have chosen my words carefully).All cognoscenti of Thai business in the last few decades know the score.He is no worse than several Sino Thai tycoons, but no better.He uses their methods.

Let us not forget to mention the hundreds of students who were killed during protests in '73, '78 and '92...especially those students from Thammasat University who had the courage to speak up against dictatorship and were subsequently gunned down by RTAF helicopters when the jumped into the Chao Phraya River.....where at least 48 deaths were recorded, but up to 100 people in truth were massacred

Whatever the rewriters of history want people to believe, there are many out there who know what really happened....I will just leave it at that

Edited by Smurkster
  • Like 1

I have to agree with the many other posters in this thread

The Thai person I  most respect would be my wife.

She never ceases to amaze me. Smart , beautiful , moral, hardworking,caring, funny. Anyone who has to make negative generalizations about the Thai people would have something to hear from me.

Let us not forget to mention the hundreds of students who were killed during protests in '73, '78 and '92...especially those students from Thammasat University who had the courage to speak up against dictatorship and were subsequently gunned down by RTAF helicopters when the jumped into the Chao Phraya River.....where at least 48 deaths were recorded, but up to 100 people in truth were massacred

Whatever the rewriters of history want people to believe, there are many out there who know what really happened....I will just leave it at that

My next door neighbour was a student leader when the Thammassat massacre happened.

Guess what he thinks of the Military Junta?

My next door neighbour was a student leader when the Thammassat massacre happened.

Guess what he thinks of the Military Junta?

Maybe, surprisingly, he loves it?

Andrew Drummond.

He's not Thai though is he, but a self proclaimed Scottish 'journalist'. 

I like that guy

Why, he is a muck raker of the highest order who does not always check his 'facts'. He almost never 'exposes' the wrong doing of Thais or he would have ended up in the lake years ago. Instead he picks on people who are easy targets for tittle tattle, he's a gutter journalist of the worst kind. He presents himself as some kind of campaigner against wrong doers in the land, but has often twisted the 'facts' to make his articles seem much more convincing, for the gullible that is.

• Like 1

An Andrew Drummond and traffic bash.  Good on ya..  I mean how???? Drummond is not Thai and traffic and driving skills are certainly not a person worthy of comment except during F1 races.  My got you guys are creative. But all in all better than any positive comments about a Thai person I guess. 

Edited by thailiketoo

RESPECT: GIVE IT TO GET IT, saying that I can with my hole heart say there is no Thai I ever met that deserve my respect.

Note. I say the people I met,sure some of you have different opinion. Respect should not be confused with tolerance

Edited by INV

My girlfriend and her family...

Girlfriend: Because she is the most caring and unselfish person I know. A wonderful girlfriend and mom for our kid. I respect, value and trust her more than anybody in this world.

Family: Because they have never asked for money and I know they will never do. 

My girlfriend and her family...

Girlfriend: Because she is the most caring and unselfish person I know. A wonderful girlfriend and mom for our kid. I respect, value and trust her more than anybody in this world.

Family: Because they have never asked for money and I know they will never do. 

Cheap Charlie dream come true.