Will Pattaya ever become the next Ibiza?

TobyOliver

After one of my friends visited some of the Islands last year he happily announces "Thailand will be like the next Ibiza!"

He couldn't quite understand why I was worried to here that :P

I haven't been to these Places in Thailand. It's not my kind of thing

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Not this old chestnut again. *sighs*

There are many reason why Pattaya, or indeed anywhere in Thailand, will never be like Ibiza, but the over-riding reason is that it's simply too far from Europe and too expensive to get here, you simply wouldn't get the numbers.

If anywhere in this region was to become the 'next Ibiza' it would be Bali, not this place.

*Sighs again*

• Like 1

If your friend said this 15 or 20 years ago, then I would agree, but not now, the regulations and conditions has changed.

It's never been close to it. Back then we had one club, The Marine that was it so how you come to this conclusion i'll never know

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If your friend said this 15 or 20 years ago, then I would agree, but not now, the regulations and conditions has changed.

Buuuut, 15 or 20 years ago it didn't become the next Ibiza.

Does that not give you the answer?

Definitely not.  The official closing times for clubs is 2am and this is now being enforced far more frequently.  Many Ibiza clubs don't open until  2am.  A club like Space could never exist in Thailand.  Also, penalties for drug taking are far stricter in Thailand; are 'on the spot' urine tests part of Ibiza club culture?   Clubs in Thailand are popular with free-lancing prostitutes; young clubbers obviously have no need or desire to pay for sex. whistling.gif

Spot on mate!

Pattya is the city of endless crack-downs. Just when you think it's safe to go for a late night out some bunch of goons will turn up, put the lights on, empty the till (usually emptied every 30 minutes by the management as a safeguard from this) and demand everyone queues up for  pee test. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. February and August seem to be the favourite crackdown months and it's not just Pattaya City BiB; the leeches come from Chonburi, Bangkok and all points of the compass to get their share. Attempting to run a disco, club or any venue for the young late-night crowd must be a nightmare.

No, Pattaya will remain, for white westerners at least, a sort of tropical Eastbourne, for retirees looking to have a few beers and remember their glory days. I bet Pattaya has the highest proportion of retirement visas in the Kingdom.

• Like 1

Not this old chestnut again. *sighs*

There are many reason why Pattaya, or indeed anywhere in Thailand, will never be like Ibiza, but the over-riding reason is that it's simply too far from Europe and too expensive to get here, you simply wouldn't get the numbers.

If anywhere in this region was to become the 'next Ibiza' it would be Bali, not this place.

*Sighs again*

Repeated attacks of the "sighs" may be indicative of a common condition. It is often brought on by a deficiency of tolerance and patience. I suffered from it some time ago until I was prescribed a daily dose of humility and acceptance.

"Sighs". Time for my prescription. :)