Will Pattaya ever become the next Ibiza?

TobyOliver

I hope not! Enough tattoos and wifebeaters already.

I've found that some of the nicest people are the ones who appearance is overshadowed by their virtues.

Conversely, some of the worse scoundrels I've encountered we're disguised in expensive and exclusive finery.
  • Like 1

Definitely not.  The official closing times for clubs is 2am and this is now being enforced far more frequently.  Many Ibiza clubs don't open until  2am.  A club like Space could never exist in Thailand.  Also, penalties for drug taking are far stricter in Thailand; are 'on the spot' urine tests part of Ibiza club culture?   Clubs in Thailand are popular with free-lancing prostitutes; young clubbers obviously have no need or desire to pay for sex. whistling.gif

Spot on mate!

Pattya is the city of endless crack-downs. Just when you think it's safe to go for a late night out some bunch of goons will turn up, put the lights on, empty the till (usually emptied every 30 minutes by the management as a safeguard from this) and demand everyone queues up for  pee test. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. February and August seem to be the favourite crackdown months and it's not just Pattaya City BiB; the leeches come from Chonburi, Bangkok and all points of the compass to get their share. Attempting to run a disco, club or any venue for the young late-night crowd must be a nightmare.

No, Pattaya will remain, for white westerners at least, a sort of tropical Eastbourne, for retirees looking to have a few beers and remember their glory days. I bet Pattaya has the highest proportion of retirement visas in the Kingdom.
I've been coming to Thailand for 20 years and now live here. I have yet to be in a situation where I had to submit to a urine drug test or suffer any "inconvenience" due to the premature closing by the local constabulary. Perhaps it's my choice of venues.

But then again, I've slowed a bit and only walk three times per week from Pattaya to Jomtien for my exercise. It is during those times that I remember the glory days as I pass the gents sitting on their bars stools, unshaved, unwashed and unkempt. They don't look much different later in the evening, except perhaps, a bit lighter in the pocket.

Koh Phangan is the closest your get to Ibiza with a party every couple of days, but not at the moment while the country is going through some changes. Only Full Moon on at mo.
But will never have the hedonistic feel of Ibiza because of the strick laws on drugs & having to fill the pockets of certain Thai's to have an event.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Ibiza rejects are already here

Yeah i did Ibiza back in the 80's - don't remember any of it, that's how I know I was there biggrin.png

• Like 1

Definitely not.  The official closing times for clubs is 2am and this is now being enforced far more frequently.  Many Ibiza clubs don't open until  2am.  A club like Space could never exist in Thailand.  Also, penalties for drug taking are far stricter in Thailand; are 'on the spot' urine tests part of Ibiza club culture?   Clubs in Thailand are popular with free-lancing prostitutes; young clubbers obviously have no need or desire to pay for sex. whistling.gif

Spot on mate!

Pattya is the city of endless crack-downs. Just when you think it's safe to go for a late night out some bunch of goons will turn up, put the lights on, empty the till (usually emptied every 30 minutes by the management as a safeguard from this) and demand everyone queues up for  pee test. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. February and August seem to be the favourite crackdown months and it's not just Pattaya City BiB; the leeches come from Chonburi, Bangkok and all points of the compass to get their share. Attempting to run a disco, club or any venue for the young late-night crowd must be a nightmare.

No, Pattaya will remain, for white westerners at least, a sort of tropical Eastbourne, for retirees looking to have a few beers and remember their glory days. I bet Pattaya has the highest proportion of retirement visas in the Kingdom.
I've been coming to Thailand for 20 years and now live here. I have yet to be in a situation where I had to submit to a urine drug test or suffer any "inconvenience" due to the premature closing by the local constabulary. Perhaps it's my choice of venues.

But then again, I've slowed a bit and only walk three times per week from Pattaya to Jomtien for my exercise. It is during those times that I remember the glory days as I pass the gents sitting on their bars stools, unshaved, unwashed and unkempt. They don't look much different later in the evening, except perhaps, a bit lighter in the pocket.

Please don't over-generalise. Most of we retirees are not at all like that.

However, this thread was about whether Pattaya would ever attract the type of young people who go to Ibiza, and if not, why not; not an invitation to have yet another go at those who enjoy a cold beer on a hot day.

I know if I were to walk from Pattaya to Jomtien I would enjoy a beer to take the dust from my throat before starting my return trip, and that would not make me either unshaved, unwashed or unkempt.

It closely resembles it but not quite I agree.

The two are not even two sides of the same coin.
If you had to Twin Pattaya with somewhere I would say Benidorm.
Only difference being Pattaya has sex for sale every 5 steps. If it weren't for that I think a good percentage of the expat, tourists there would be in Benidorm.
It's what defines the place.
  • Like 2

No, Ibiza is very Spezial, i lived there 17 years ,clean Water,nice Beaches,nice People, you can have a easy Live, or be out till the Morning with  out worrys to get killed or muged. Ibiza is very expensiv to live,but there still places where you get a Day Menu fore 9,- €  i could go on and on, i still love IBIZA. But after 17 years i wanted a change, now i live in Thailand from  2007 but i go back to Europe every year. Last year 2 months, this year 3 months , will see how long next year, If you have the chance to go to IBIZA do so, visit  ( Benirass Beach for the Sunset ) or Las Dalias  "Hippimarket "on a Saturday, I stop dreaming now,

• Like 1

Spot on mate!

Please don't over-generalise. Most of we retirees are not at all like that.

However, this thread was about whether Pattaya would ever attract the type of young people who go to Ibiza, and if not, why not; not an invitation to have yet another go at those who enjoy a cold beer on a hot day.

I know if I were to walk from Pattaya to Jomtien I would enjoy a beer to take the dust from my throat before starting my return trip, and that would not make me either unshaved, unwashed or unkempt.

Please re-read my post. I didn't mention that those that are unshaven, unwashed or unkempt were retired. Some may be retired and some not. It's impossible for me to determine who is retired merely by appearance.

I'm retired myself and didn't mean to generalize. My apology if it came across as such.

Not this old chestnut again. *sighs*

There are many reason why Pattaya, or indeed anywhere in Thailand, will never be like Ibiza, but the over-riding reason is that it's simply too far from Europe and too expensive to get here, you simply wouldn't get the numbers.

If anywhere in this region was to become the 'next Ibiza' it would be Bali, not this place.

*Sighs again*

Pattaya will be the Chinese/Russian answer to Ibiza then?

Not this old chestnut again. *sighs*

There are many reason why Pattaya, or indeed anywhere in Thailand, will never be like Ibiza, but the over-riding reason is that it's simply too far from Europe and too expensive to get here, you simply wouldn't get the numbers.

If anywhere in this region was to become the 'next Ibiza' it would be Bali, not this place.

*Sighs again*

Pattaya will be the Chinese/Russian answer to Ibiza then?

Something like that.