Rubber sealing strips for chest freezer

Mobi

Those who are following my bar thread will know that my electricity bill has more than doubled in July, and the most likely culprit seems to be my chest freezer.

While not exactly falling apart, the rubber seals looks like it has seen better days and as a consequence, there has been a build-up of ice and the lid will not close properly, causing the compressor to continually churn away.

Apart from the worn rubber strip, the freezer looks to be in reasonable shape, so I was wondering if anyone has come across any rubber sealing material for sale in their travels around Pattaya.

(I am still also looking for a second hand chest freezer if anyone knows of one.)

Thanks for any info.

Mobi

• Like 1

Go to one of the air con shops that repairs freezers and refrigerators. They might be able to order one or come to your place and adapt something that they have and use.

My internet connection is too slow even for MJCM's map to load (assume it is in Naklua?) but down along 3240 (Chaipoonvithi) just south of Highway 7 flyover, either side of the Nongprue x-roads (7-eleven and the amber flashing light), there are several aircon and fridge repair shops, traditional Thai style shop houses with what looks like junked or recycled appliances outside.

Either take a picture of your buggered seals or better still if you can spare an off-cut sample, then measure up how much you need and go see them as I am pretty sure they will have something in stock.

Last year had the same problem........ Emailed Panasonic, they asked for model No and my address.. they then gave me a name and address of someone that stocked them... was a house with a garage as workshop/storeroom 2 Villages away...

They did not have the seal as my chest Freezer is larger then most people have, but ordered, they called 3 days later, found it simple to fit myself... then also ordered new seals for my 21Q Fridge. again 3 days they had it, again simple to fit..

Edited by ignis

unless the seal is completely shattered, you can often revive old seals by rubbing them with petroleum jelly and they heating it with a hair dryer.

Worth a try in the mean time, except of course it it is more holes than rubber now.

Guy opposite Kiss restuarant on SSCC repairs fridges etc he may be able to fix and he is not far away. Collinbournes auction house often have freezers in that sell cheap.

Glad to hear it was not the neighbours tapping into your electric.

Edited by marstons

unless the seal is completely shattered, you can often revive old seals by rubbing them with petroleum jelly and they heating it with a hair dryer.

Worth a try in the mean time, except of course it it is more holes than rubber now.

While you are at it...you might consider beefing-up the R-value,(ie.) cut and fasten foam sheeting to the case of the freezer.

Or buy new with Energy Star rating.

Or do as some people and just turn it off at night.

If you turn it off every night, the thing then has to cool it down come morning when you switch it on again. Unless it is wrapped in a lot of insulation (especially on the bottom) this would not do anything for the power costs. If it is glass topped, a sheet of insulation on top will pay dividend over night. However, the best bet is to repair the seals or to simply replace them.

We can't turn it off overnight as it is full of frozen food.

It doesn't have a glass top, but we were looking at a second hand one the other day that does have a glass top and if we buy one like that, I will remember your tip, Boldface.

We found the repair shop that MJCM told us about it and they were quite helpful. They could come out and change the seal for around 1,000 Baht or they could sell us the strip material and we can do it ourselves.

One of our customers has kindly offered to do this for me so we may go this route, if it proves necessary

However, upon reflection, the seals while showing some signs of wear are still in reasonable shape, and our present thinking is that somehow the lid wasn't closed properly which led to a build up of ice on the rim and perpetuated the problem.

We have now cleared all the ice away from the rim and lid and check it every day. So far the ice has not returned. We are also checking the electricity consumption day by day to see if it is back in line with earlier months.

So we are in a 'wait and see' situation for now and will not take any further action until we see if the meter continues to run very fast. I've only been checking the meter for 3 days, so I'll give it a week and see where we are.

Many thanks for all the responses to this thread, it is very much appreciated and very useful information.

Mobi

Was just kidding about turning it off. mindyou quite serious about the insulation part. Heat lost equals heat gained...or something like that.

And don't forget how people decide after the fridge/freezer door is open what they are taking out. My gal is always gazing into the fridge.

• 3 months later...

Guy opposite Kiss restuarant on SSCC repairs fridges etc he may be able to fix and he is not far away. Collinbournes auction house often have freezers in that sell cheap.

Which KISS please? Second road soi diana? What is SSCC? Phone number?

Which KISS please? Second road soi diana? What is SSCC? Phone number?

That would be the Kiss restaurant on Soi Siam Country Club rd.

• Like 1