Alternatives To Penalty Shootouts?

Simmo

Always an empty feeling when a team goes out on penalties so what are the alternatives?

I like the idea of taking a player off from each side at the end of normal time and then another one if still locked after the first 15 minutes. Would create some space for playmakers to work in.

Thinking outside the box why not have the managers taking a penalty in the shootout :o .....

And why did they scrap the golden goal rule this world cup? ..

Any other suggestions?

In theory, I like the idea of taking a player off from each side, maybe one off each 5 minutes, as with 15 minute intervals could make the game become very long-winded.

Could get very interesting, with a whole new tactical area to be explored: who do you take off each time? What happens when you go down to 5, 4 or even 3 a-side? Do you risk taking your keeper off at this stage to gain a massive out-field advantage, yet leaving your goal massively exposed?

The problem is then what to do if it's still deadlocked after you're down to 1 a-side, I guess you'd have to stop doing this after maybe 3 or 2 a-side; you'd think that after that you'd be able to finish the game pretty quickly.

Also, could be a nightmare for the timekeepers - what do you do if there's an injury during one of the 5 minute slots? Have an injury time period after each 5-minute section? Or just keep it flowing, and the players just peel off after each 5 minute period, regardless of stoppages, etc.? Could become contentious if a player is due to go off, but he's just about to score as his number's up.

So, an interesting idea but maybe just a bit too complicated to make t work.

I also like the idea of having one-on-one's instead of penalties, with the taker running in from the half way line each time. Would be more of a test of skill than the penalties.

I also like the idea of having one-on-one's instead of penalties, with the taker running in from the half way line each time. Would be more of a test of skill than the penalties.

That was going to be input too :D

most corners, most possesion, and most attacking.

That's a good one Opothai. They already do the stats in the match. It would be no bother to give the scores at the end. :o

whichever team has the most beautiful girlfreinds,wins. :D

a beauty contest after the 90 minutes.no talking,or showing of intelligence is required by the participants,so posh spice may be ok.

also points are awarded for which girlfreinds spend the most money shopping for designer clothes.

a bikini session is probably a good way to go. :o

Amidst all this silliness, I aplaud mightily the idea of having Posh make it all the way to the finals and her lifting her arms to cheer hubby ( u useless <deleted> Beckham), I think one man nominated per side to take alternate penalties until a miss would save the bother of having to carry the shame for years, a la southgate, batty, and whoever else.

Just my 1000 bahts worth :o

Rinrada suggests tossing a coin - they tried that years ago (I think it was in the UEFA cup) and was not popular. Golden goal and silver goal - again not successful.

Taking goalkeepers off in extra time is a viable option and and one player per side off every 5 minutes.

Removing the goal keepers for extra time sounds like a good idea, but even then England wouldn't get any shots on the bloody target! :o

How about at the end of extra time the players on the field all square up in the centre circle; last man standing wins. I'm sure the Argentinians would go for it! :D

Always an empty feeling when a team goes out on penalties so what are the alternatives?

I like the idea of taking a player off from each side at the end of normal time and then another one if still locked after the first 15 minutes. Would create some space for playmakers to work in.

Thinking outside the box why not have the managers taking a penalty in the shootout :D .....

And why did they scrap the golden goal rule this world cup? ..

Any other suggestions?

Holland v Germany in the finals then, without a doubt.

Van Baseten and Klinsmann

Imagine Eriksson against the old Spanish guy . . . :o:D

Going to quarters and allowing more substitutions (which hopefully would allow for more scoring in regular time), then drop one player from each side every 5 min (fourth player dropped from each side to be the keeper).

Then after 30 min extra time alternative corner kicks – with remaining squads (no keepers).

The alternative is for the team to get the bloody job done in the 90 minutes provided... :o

totster :D

EXACTLY ! as Italians did last night, even if at last few min of sceond Extra time, or as French did earlier with BRazil.