PC verses Laptop for business

axact

What, if any are the advantages to having a PC over a laptop to use in a hotel reception ?

I ask the question as we have a receprtion area that is not secure & lock up the laptop at nights. I am being told that to run Excell is different to on a PC than Excell on a laptop which I doubt. The arguement given for having a PC is " have you ever seen a big hotel that doesnt use a PC.

Advice ideas please.

Sounds like a typical Thai argument, good luck if you can win it.

Laptop keyboards aren't ideal for heavy usage (most cheap external keyboards aren't suitable either mind you but are cheaply replaced). They aren't particularly ergonomic either.

The monitor on a laptop isn't easy to ergonomically position and is usually smaller.

They are much easier to steal.

If you want one with a big monitor it will probably end up more expensive.

On the plus side they usually use less power.

A Lop-top would be fine.

A USB external keyboard, and external monitor, and printer for printing receipts.can be used if needed with no problem.

​I have used this type of arrangement in the past in my kiosk retail locations with no problems.  The lioptop can be removed to the office at night and the monitor, keyboard and printer secured in a draw that locks. 

The loptop can run any of the programs that a PC can run. In addition to all the other programs in the lop-top, I used a POS (point of sale) program that scanned, skew bars, adjusted inventory accordingly,  and generated reports.

​There are Hospitality POS programs available that will run in your Loptop and support peripherals,  A  Google search for "hotel pos" will give you many options.

​Any one with some Excel or other spreadsheet knowledge can also write spreadsheets that  could aid you in managing some of the basic functions of running a small hotel operation.

You could still use a pc, have it in another room, or locked area, and have longer cable running to the monitor, mouse and keyboard at reception. Or, run a single USB cable that plugs into a USB docking station with the monitor, kb and mouse connected to that. Edited by Riggi
  • Like 1

If you are putting information into excel frequently then a keyboard with a numerical keyboard or an usb numerical keyboard is a must. Or use a full size keyboard plugged into a laptop.  For me a good basic business desktop will always be better.

Hotel front desk? Unless space is really tight a small-outline desktop is normally your animal, less desirable and less removable than a laptop, and less expensive too.

Most if not all desktops and monitors have Kensington security slots http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_Security_Slot add a decent lock or two and you make your desktop immune to casual theft.

How 'insecure' is the front desk area? Open to the world or simply unmanned at night? Do you have night security staff to stop undesirables wandering in during the small hours?

All software will run just the same on a desktop or lappie, only constraint would likely be screen size.

Will you be using it yourself?

If not, definitely PC.

PC's in general are more "stable/strong" and they don't go through all the flexing and bending laptops go through when moving. This affects the reliability of the parts inside, especially the hard disk.

Thailand is hot too, but Im sure your lobby is air cond. PC has better ventilation, with regards to fan size and space. Again reliability for long term use.

Why I asked if you use it yourself, staffs could cause many problems and they don't take care of the equipment as well as we do. The keyboards on PC could be easily replaced for a few hundreds, while laptop will be more problematic. Any spills from drinks or such, on a PC would do less harm than on a laptop.

You mention theft. Theft doesn't only exist when you are closing down, its all the time. So even at lunch hours, or when your staff is busy doing paperwork, anyone could easily steal the laptop in seconds, compared to PC.

So PC +1 and it's cheaper tongue.png

Take an 'old ' computer from the office and install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and let all users use the guest account to use the computer.

Every time a user logs off, all data is removed and the next user can use it again.

Why not an "all in one computer"? Bigger Monitor (up to 27"), full size keyboard, and compact (only computer/monitor, keyboard, and mouse).

# Just got myself one. Only 18 inch but I like it much better than a laptop. It is only 2 cms thick so I can take it anywhere just like my laptop.

Since they are so cheap right now I don't know why anyone would buy a desktop for simple tasks like Excel. Its the year 2014, what's that big tower for?

Desktop, bang for bucks, is cheaper, it is also easier to repair and can be done locally, whereas a laptop n3eeds to be sent away, and we all know what that means in Thailand. Individual parts for a desktop are easier to source/.replace and if you need more storage is easier to install new HDD/SDDs. One thing I would recommend is an external USB HDD to use for backup image storage.

Riggi, on 03 Aug 2014 - 21:44, said:

You could still use a pc, have it in another room, or locked area, and have longer cable running to the monitor, mouse and keyboard at reception. Or, run a single USB cable that plugs into a USB docking station with the monitor, kb and mouse connected to that.

Or place it in a lockable cupboard under the counter.

BB1950, on 04 Aug 2014 - 10:56, said:

Why not an "all in one computer"? Bigger Monitor (up to 27"), full size keyboard, and compact (only computer/monitor, keyboard, and mouse).

Same problem with laptops if they fail, they need to be sent away for repairs. Desktops can always be repaired locally.

Cloggie, on 04 Aug 2014 - 18:13, said:

Take an 'old ' computer from the office and install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and let all users use the guest account to use the computer.

Every time a user logs off, all data is removed and the next user can use it again.

Did he say he was running Linux software, if not then, as good as Ubuntu is, he needs a desktop running a compatible OS. Oh, and Ubuntu, and its derivatives, still any ready for the general public. Even for simple tasks, like backing up you mobile phone, or installing a graphics driver.

wump, on 04 Aug 2014 - 18:30, said:

BB1950, on 04 Aug 2014 - 10:56, said:

# Just got myself one. Only 18 inch but I like it much better than a laptop. It is only 2 cms thick so I can take it anywhere just like my laptop.

Since they are so cheap right now I don't know why anyone would buy a desktop for simple tasks like Excel. Its the year 2014, what's that big tower for?

Wait until it goes faulty, then see how you can get it repaired, compared to getting a desktop repaired.

Cloggie, on 04 Aug 2014 - 18:13, said:

Did he say he was running Linux software, if not then, as good as Ubuntu is, he needs a desktop running a compatible OS. Oh, and Ubuntu, and its derivatives, still any ready for the general public. Even for simple tasks, like backing up you mobile phone, or installing a graphics driver.

You want a PC that people can't change and people can't store any data so it's safe, both for hotel as well as user.

I used it before in the hotel I was working and it did a great job and during the time I worked there it never needed any support from me, just sometimes reboot the PC and it was clean again to use it.

Cloggie, on 04 Aug 2014 - 19:17, said:

Rorri, on 04 Aug 2014 - 19:09, said:

Cloggie, on 04 Aug 2014 - 18:13, said:Cloggie, on 04 Aug 2014 - 18:13, said:

You want a PC that people can't change and people can't store any data so it's safe, both for hotel as well as user.

I used it before in the hotel I was working and it did a great job and during the time I worked there it never needed any support from me, just sometimes reboot the PC and it was clean again to use it.

That's ok for, but my comment still stands. Besides most hotel, in the world, use windows OS, and don't suffer too many problems. Am admin can restrict user access but the user must still be able to access the hotels applications, after all that's why the pc is there. In case you haven't realised pc are there to store data.

@Rorri

The PC is located in the hotel reception so I guess - correct me if I am wrong - that this is a PC only for guests to temporary work on so you want an environment that can not store data and certainly can not access hotel applications :-)

Windows can only do this with a template, Ubuntu out-of-the-box for free (not want to talk about viruses, spyware, toolbars, rootkits....)

I think we talk about two different things, I talk about a guest PC you about a PC for staff hotel reception.

Edited by Cloggie

To those who have posted, thank you for all your advice.

Just to clarify, the computer is for staff use only, the reception area is unmanned and not secure at nights.

David

Will you be using it yourself?

If not, definitely PC.

PC's in general are more "stable/strong" and they don't go through all the flexing and bending laptops go through when moving. This affects the reliability of the parts inside, especially the hard disk.

Thailand is hot too, but Im sure your lobby is air cond. PC has better ventilation, with regards to fan size and space. Again reliability for long term use.

Why I asked if you use it yourself, staffs could cause many problems and they don't take care of the equipment as well as we do. The keyboards on PC could be easily replaced for a few hundreds, while laptop will be more problematic. Any spills from drinks or such, on a PC would do less harm than on a laptop.

You mention theft. Theft doesn't only exist when you are closing down, its all the time. So even at lunch hours, or when your staff is busy doing paperwork, anyone could easily steal the laptop in seconds, compared to PC.

So PC +1 and it's cheaper tongue.png

Great advice above. Remember you can run all programs for PC on laptop. Perhaps some serious gaming programs not; but then again you would need fancy pc for this anyway. Not all laptops are made for easy portability. Some are refereed to as desktop replacements, such as your 17" and above. If you want to remove and lock up, then laptop is way to go. (BTW- both are referred to as PC, just desktop or laptop. So, if you do homework, this may confuse you). Good luck,

Typically PC's are twice the power for half the price of Laptops. Laptops have serious longevity issues as screens crack. As well as breaking, the keyboards and pointing devices often cause mistakes - a cost to businesses that personal users accept. Plus you cannot really upgrade a laptop - only replace them. In business you can expect to replace keyboards and mice regularly and to upgrade your PCs every 3-4 years buying new cases every other upgrade. If you buy a decent monitor it will last for 8 - 12 years. Laptops will last 1-3 years. So adding up all the costs every single major company uses destop PCs for all staff that do not REQUIRE laptops. People who need to access data while traveling, like sales, need laptops. Those working from home need a home desktop.

Edited by RecklessRon

Desk top for sure.

Laptops are for carrying around;  desk tops are to sit one place and do their job.

Unless you want your reception area to be in different places all day, that advantage disappears.

Stick with the desk top.

IMHO laptop's are a pain in the arse in a front desk or any multi-user access scenario as the keyboard is 'locked' to the screen and since it is designed for one user, sitting front and center, it would constantly be twisted this way and that, screen tilted back and forth, picked up and dropped, etc., which it is not what it is designed for. Plus the 'footprint' on the counter top is much bigger when you consider optimum viewing angle of screen, comfy access to keyboard and the mouse pad.

How about the Asus micro desktops?

About the size of a large format paperback, you can either use a regular VGA screen, native HDMI or since it is all USB3, a USB screen like I use. Options include wireless keyboards and mouse so no wire tangles and plugs getting pulled out of sockets. The vertical footprint is much smaller than a conventional mini-desktop or tower. Alternatively, it can be mounted on the back of the larger LCD screens. They are marketed primarily as entertainment devices with good graphics and ample RAM so would hardly be challenged by simple spreadsheet, hospitality and POS software. At the end of the day if security is an issue, it can be quickly disconnected, locked in a safe or drawer or popped under the arm and taken home. Although small and lightweight, I reckon it would be less attractive to a thief as he would need to lift the screen and all the other bits to make it work.

[attachment=277934:EeeBox PC EB1503.jpg] Edited by NanLaew

Laptops have more than enough power for business software.  I perform spreadsheet functions easily on a 175 dollar Asus EEE pc.

For a business,  I would have a Desktop and setup a Network  (Router). That would stay in place. You and selected employees could then access the your Private network via laptops. Your desktop can be inexpensive, as long as you do not need high dollar graphics for gaming. A nice looking desktop with a larger screen sure makes the business look more professional, if that matters. T.he main thing is to always backup your files. 

An advantage with the above idea is that you can use free remote programs (Like VNC) to monitor your business from any other location...via internet.  You could be on the beach in Phuket, and watch what your business is doing in Bangkok...realtime. You can actually control keyboard functions remotely, download/upload files, etc.   That, to me, would be invaluable. Security would be a must, and if you do want this remote control capability, then your must password protect your VNC and your Network.

Ergonomic keyboards/number keypads are easily attached....as well as second monitors.  Lots of options.  I attach a large LCD via HDMI to my laptop, and never want for a desktop.

All said in the subject of ergonomics between a laptop and a PC might be true, but one fact remains,In an unsecured location, such  as the OP described, where the computer could be stolen, a laptop  is the simplest solution. One must remember that the computer if lost not only would cost money, but it would cost in the loss of a lot of propitiatory information contained in it's hard drive.

All said in the subject of ergonomics between a laptop and a PC might be true, but one fact remains,In an unsecured location, such  as the OP described, where the computer could be stolen, a laptop  is the simplest solution. One must remember that the computer if lost not only would cost money, but it would cost in the loss of a lot of propitiatory information contained in it's hard drive.

555 - How is a laptop more secure than a bolted down tower? Plus when replacing the hardware the tower is half the price for twice the power! (and the software is identical to replace or lose, unless you factor in how easy it is to lose the laptop and how often you will need to reload).