First Trink, then Stickman, who’s next?

WorriedNoodle

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trink was the main reason most expats read BP every week. He sadly became a parody of himself towards the end of his Nite Owl run, but I always enjoyed him. People forget he had a real way with words and phrases (seemingly culled from restoration comedy) and wrote many book reviews for BP and other publications.

Isnt that the same guy who said AIDS was just a rumour?

Isnt that the same guy who has/had lived in Thailand for years and could not string a sentence together in Thai?

But boy could he tell you if the dinty baked beans were 3 baht per can cheaper at foodland ramkhamhaeng than foodland Silom.

Correction - it was 'Dinty Moor's Beef Stew'!

I agree that the Aids denial thing from Trink was extremely embarrassing as was his shameless plugging of the various bars he frequented.

• Like 1

Seriously has no one else noticed that the writer has changed and that it is no longer the old Stcikman writing the articles each week??

I think he has already sold it...seriously

A mate brought this up a while back and he was certain it was not the original Stickman doing it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Met Trink a couple of times, somewhat uninspiring character who delighted in showing his pompous superiority over those less familiar with Thailand and its ways

Trink was the main reason most expats read BP every week. He sadly became a parody of himself towards the end of his Nite Owl run, but I always enjoyed him. People forget he had a real way with words and phrases (seemingly culled from restoration comedy) and wrote many book reviews for BP and other publications.

Isnt that the same guy who has/had lived in Thailand for years and could not string a sentence together in Thai?

But boy could he tell you if the dinty baked beans were 3 baht per can cheaper at foodland ramkhamhaeng than foodland Silom.

Correction - it was 'Dinty Moor's Beef Stew'!

I stand humbly corrected! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by samran

]

Yeah, he's a very good writer- and that column where he and friend head north to track down the troll that's been constantly harassing him is an excellent piece of gonzo style journalism (and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible) -

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanBangkokWeeklyColumn2011/Cyberbullying.htm

Thanks for posting that link. It had been a long time since I read that but it was a good laugh.

]

Yeah, he's a very good writer- and that column where he and friend head north to track down the troll that's been constantly harassing him is an excellent piece of gonzo style journalism (and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible) -

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanBangkokWeeklyColumn2011/Cyberbullying.htm

Thanks for posting that link. It had been a long time since I read that but it was a good laugh.

I fail to see anything amusing in a guy having his carer and reputation trahsed and being threatened, blackmailed and stalked, I hope it never happens to you

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Writing a column week after week after week for ten years on ANY subject is not an easy task. All in all I think Stick did a good job.

My only "beef" is when he played "detective" going around lying to bar girls as to who/what he was up to in order to catch them in a lie

So you take money from your client and LIE to catch a bar girl who LIES to take money from her client? Say what?

What are you talking about?

How would you have gone about doing the job then?

"Hi sweetheart. I work for your sponsor. He wants me to find out if you go with other guys when he's paying you a stipend"??!!

The most interesting thing about Stickman's site I always found the reader's submissions. Did not spend so much time reading them though, too often I clicked on a submission with a promising title, only to click it away again after reading briefly. Nevertheless I hope that when Stickman stops, some other similar site will carry on with putting reader's submissions online.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Writing a column week after week after week for ten years on ANY subject is not an easy task. All in all I think Stick did a good job.

My only "beef" is when he played "detective" going around lying to bar girls as to who/what he was up to in order to catch them in a lie

So you take money from your client and LIE to catch a bar girl who LIES to take money from her client? Say what?

"Hi sweetheart. I work for your sponsor. He wants me to find out if you go with other guys when he's paying you a stipend"??!!

Very simple. I would not have "done the job".

"hi potential client......no I do not lower myself to go lie to bargirls to make a few bucks finding out what anyone with an IQ in double digits would already know."....

• Like 1

"hi potential client......no I do not lower myself to go lie to bargirls to make a few bucks finding out what anyone with an IQ in double digits would already know."....

You obviously haven't been in Thailand long enough as you still have morals... Money number one...

So the question is, now he is leaving early next year, who is going to fill the space?

Morally Diminished blogspot.

Morally was a real gems, whats a pity the owner did give up many years ago.

And the worst part, its we can not acceed anymore to the archive website.

Edited by Bender

whats left to write about ? a steadily deteriorating nite life scene thats on its last filthy legs ,ladyboy muggers that we know about ,jetski scammers carry on their business year after year ,some very ugly women as seen in sticks photos that you wouldn't want for free let alone pay serious money. punters eniticed by attractive women acting as shills to get them inside the bars and whacky prices higher than back home ....

aye its all history now and times have changed .

sexpats have moved on elsewhere by now.

whitey is not welcome in the thermae or even outside now.

Trinks pages were of a happier and simpler time for mongers ,before iphones and net pages and the bars were wall to wall rocking with very attractive crumpet

shame to see him go though

Edited by 3NUMBAS
  • Like 2

that led to his downfall ,he just would not shut up about AIDs

once described by a letter writer to the post as an inconsequential onanaist

Actually I always smiled at Stickmans' "Bargirl Investigation Service" and wondered who in their right mind would use such a service.

I thought that was a great idea. Getting paid to go around getting unfaithful women to sleep with me. I would have felt guilty reporting them to their boyfriends after having my way with them though. That would be the downside.

I have had some business and personal time with the Stick and can report he was genuinely helpful.

Have to admire him for his accomplishments, pounding out material every week like that.

Well done Sticky boy.

Will we see a book I wonder?

Trink.

When the Bangkok Post canned him, he went with a pay site for a while.

He got pretty weird online.

• Like 1

Actually I always smiled at Stickmans' "Bargirl Investigation Service" and wondered who in their right mind would use such a service.

I could imagine him clumping around the Talad Sot in a small village in Issarn - the only Bukseeda for miles around - asking in pidgin Pasa Issarn (or worse pidgin Central Thai) "Where Noi go?" "Noi still work Bar?" etc. etc..

Very discrete, I'm sure no-one twigged him and mentioned it to "Noi"!

Patrick

I did a few when I lived in Pattaya (not for Stick). It was quite easy. Sit in the bar armed with a photo of Lek and her name and have a beer till someone took her out.

Then the nut case who wanted this done in the first place gives you an hour of sh** on the phone because it must not have been Lek and maybe it was her brother who took her out out and so on.

The customers requesting this service were mostly the same, "She told me she liked chubby men" type of guys.

Because one guy saw the laughing Buddha he told me all Thai women loved fat guys.

The stuff they fell for was funny. Not as bad as Thai Visa general forum, of course.

• Like 1

I could imagine him clumping around the Talad Sot in a small village in Issarn - the only Bukseeda for miles around - asking in pidgin Pasa Issarn (or worse pidgin Central Thai) "Where Noi go?" "Noi still work Bar?" etc. etc..

Very discrete, I'm sure no-one twigged him and mentioned it to "Noi"!

Patrick

Love the use of bukseeda.

Over on another thread they are going at it hammer and tongs about the use of the word farang.

The Issan variant amuses me even more, thanks for the laugh.

maybe stick has realized time is running out to build a net egg for his old age ,going thru the motions doesnt accrue savings and wealth, but will he come clean about his wife and what happened ?

did she do the dirty ?

i suspect he is really sick and tired of all the BS he has to go thru in BKK and wants a normal lifestyle away from Thailand.

he would need to see a shrink doing that stuff week in week out

• Like 2

maybe stick has realized time is running out to build a net egg for his old age ,going thru the motions doesnt accrue savings and wealth, but will he come clean about his wife and what happened ?

did she do the dirty ?

i suspect he is really sick and tired of all the BS he has to go thru in BKK and wants a normal lifestyle away from Thailand.

he would need to see a shrink doing that stuff week in week out

What's the story?