Can I follow both Christianity and Buddhism?

benj005

You say you would like to explore what the Buddhist religion has to offer. You need to understand that Buddhism is not a religion. Period. Nobody will get petulant because you don't get down on bended knee and worship some mysterious/fictitious being in the sky (personally I've never understood how this all knowing, all understanding entity would get the hump if you didn't get down on bended knee, but that's another thing altogether) There are plenty of religious Buddhists - people that follow Catholicism etc, particularly in America. They believe in their God but also believe in the teachings and life set of Buddha and why not? If you're offending your local priest or whatever by studying Buddhism and following it's teachings then you really need to find a more enlightened Church my friend! Thais offer prayers up to Monks usually wanting some kind of good luck in return and some do it for respect but it's not part of the religion as it's not a religion.. Go where your heart takes you.

I'm sorry, but I think you're being overly dogmatic by asserting that, "Buddhism is not a religion. Period." Apparently you're not thinking of the Pure Land sects in Japan, or the Tibetan version. I would say the Mahayana tradition is more a religion, with its many bodhisattvas to pray to. Even here in Thailand what they do is not much different from what I think Catholics do at the Stations of the Cross. Certainly both my late wives prayed regularly and believed that what they did in this life meant they would go to heaven (from which they would eventually die and be reborn) or hell (from which they would eventually die and be reborn again). It's complicated, and people have been adding to it for and interpreting it for 2500 years.

I've answered this in another comment This was my thought (or part of it)> Buddhism is more a practice of contemplation and inquiry that doesn't depend (or demand) on belief in a God, soul or supernatural being and as such, is not a religion

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christianity, NOT the Pope/Church, but Jesus and God gave you FREE WILL.

There is nothing wrong with Buddhism, not a religion, but a life style, which in certain area's the Thais do NOT follow, but still practice.

My personal opinion as a non/semi/do-believe-in-something person originated from catholic bla bla (GAY) ...

... Your question is stupid and shows you are very insecure about yourself

OP

Turn on your TV , watch the latest news from Iraq and hopefully you will realise the inherent folly of slavishly following an ancient belief system. Personal religious faith is fine , just find the mix that works for you and lead a happy life , no need to wear it like a badge of honour, thats what causes the problems.

Aren't we all following ancient belief systems because of the culture we're born into?

It'd be a pretty big departure from that conditioning to declare "There are no problems" wouldn't it?

Heck, I wonder what we'd even call a person who'd departed to such an extent. "Well gone" or something similar perhaps?

But Alwyn, it does believe in a property like soul ( you skimmed over this point).

It is called citta.

Each of us have a citta associated with us which never dies.

Buddism teaches that your citta, has never been born, will never die, is timeless and is capable of being aware of everything in the universe.

It does not hurt to learn about other faiths, but hay remember what Jesus said about false prophets and worshiping idols of gold and men wink.png ps I'm a Christians to but I do respect the teachings of Buddha I can't find anything bad in it and some of his teachings are very close to what the big man said,shame they never met as I think Buddha would have found enlightenment

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

SORRY BUT I GOTTA SET THINGS STRAIGHT!....have no other "gods' before ME!... pray for everything at all times....there is but one way to heaven and that is through JESUS CHRIST!... all these teachings are from men not my father...the wisdom of man is FOLLY!.....these and many more are direct quotes out of the mouth of GOD AND JESUS CHRIST... spoken to address any confusion man was sure to through into the mix. IT is NOT debateable nor is it MODIFIABLE-PERIOD!. YES respect other peoples beliefs "BUT DONT ADOPT THEM AS YOUR OWN FOR THEY ARE SHEEP LEAD ASTRAY BY A FALSE SHEPPARD- YOU AS A CHILD OF GOD NOW KNOW THE TRUTH".....REPECT THEM-BY PRAYING FOR THEM.....class diiismissed!

happydude303, on 05 Aug 2014 - 02:43, said:

It does not hurt to learn about other faiths, but hay remember what Jesus said about false prophets and worshiping idols of gold and men wink.png ps I'm a Christians to but I do respect the teachings of Buddha I can't find anything bad in it and some of his teachings are very close to what the big man said,shame they never met as I think Buddha would have found enlightenment

Buddhism is not really a religion, it is simply a way to live your life, Buddha himself said he didn't want any idols/icons or for people to pray to him... so my answer is a resounding "YES", you can be both Buddhist and Christian at the same time.

The attached 3 page article provides a really good explanation of the differences. Jesus said no man can serve two masters (Bible: Matthew 6:24).

In the Bible, John 14:6 Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

A Christian believes Jesus is God and places his faith in him and the God's Spirit then lives in him and helps him live in God's way. The Buddhist follows the practices of a man who teaches self help. Christians believe that since the first man Adam sinned, people are born with a sin nature you might describe as selfish. Jesus told us to love God and love our brothers the way we love ourselves - no self involved here.

Romans 10:9 If you declare with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:10 For one believes with his heart and is justified, and declares with his mouth and is saved.
To the OP, a biblical Christian is quite different from a cultural Christian. A comparison will be shared. Keep on searching for the truth (there is only one).

Truth is relative to the age you live in, the country you were born in and the religion prevalent in your social group. Just imagine it, all the people in the world before Jesus was born going to hell and not knowing why.

SORRY BUT I GOTTA SET THINGS STRAIGHT!....have no other "gods' before ME!... pray for everything at all times....there is but one way to heaven and that is through JESUS CHRIST!... all these teachings are from men not my father...the wisdom of man is FOLLY!.....these and many more are direct quotes out of the mouth of GOD AND JESUS CHRIST... spoken to address any confusion man was sure to through into the mix. IT is NOT debateable nor is it MODIFIABLE-PERIOD!. YES respect other peoples beliefs "BUT DONT ADOPT THEM AS YOUR OWN FOR THEY ARE SHEEP LEAD ASTRAY BY A FALSE SHEPPARD- YOU AS A CHILD OF GOD NOW KNOW THE TRUTH".....REPECT THEM-BY PRAYING FOR THEM.....class diiismissed!

What deity gave you a computer, more importantly,who let you use it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can do whatever the hell you want. Why not ? Easier to be an anti theist like me, don't have to make up problems like this....

I'm sure you could pray to the giant chicken god at the centre of Uranus and it will have exactly the same effect.

You can pray to tea leaves, the cobra in the garden or your girlfriend's frilly knickers, nobody will bat an eyelid. Just thank the Buddha that you were not born an Iraqi.

I could never understand why the subject of faith seems to cause those who claim they lack faith to get their knickers in a knot or why they feel obliged to make childish comments about what someone else believes. Aside from getting some puerile jollies out of making comments, what possible purpose could it serve?

1. You seem to be the one with your "knickers in a twist"

2. So you think that NOT believing in magic men in the sky, superstition, angels, devils, a happy theme park in the sky and a nasty theme park in the hot centre of the earth is childish? hmmmm

3. So it's ok for anybody to rabbit on with posts on this site about their superstitious beliefs but not OK for anyone to comment on what a load of rubbish it is?

4. You ask what possible purpose can be served by commenting that some of us don't believe in magic and superstition.......? Maybe you haven't noticed, but it's the 21st Century.......what good does it do for humanity to continue clinging to these Bronze age beliefs in magic, superstition and myth?

As a 70 year old non religeous person it is your life to do with as YOU wish.

You say "My Christian/Catholic upbringing doesn't allow me to pray to Buddha."

My question is why ever not? Who says you cannot and what will happen to you if you do?

From my vague memories as a Christian you can commit all the sins in the world and if on your deathbed you repent you will go to heaven.

Who knows where you go when you die?

My personal feeling is that there IS something out there and if you want to label that something God then do so.

What turned me away from organised religeon was that each brand, Christianity, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhism, Jewish etc ALL say that theirs is the one true religeon and all other Gods are false and eveninside any religeon there are sects that say the same thing and the saddest part is that they believe it.

How does anyone KNOW that theirs is the best if they have not experienced any other? Because their leaders say so?

My advice to you is to open your heart and mind to Buddhism if you wish and ingore what you have been taught. You may be right or wrong but you will never know unless you take the steps to find out.

Jesus wasn't a "Christian"

Buddha wasn't a "Buddhist"

Mohamed wasn't a "Muslim"

Krishna wasn't a "Hindhu"

All these persons taught Love and Humanity........ and then there are the aliens(?)

Humanity is the only true religion, so turn away from that truth and one turns away from.....................

PS, actually only the Muslims and Christians say that theirs is the only way to salvation which is somewhat funny because they have mostly

all of the same players in their perspective story's.

I guarantee you that Jesus had not issue whatsoever, with following the teachings of other prophets. Buddha is no false prophet. He was a great saint. You are not bowing to a false prophet. You are bowing to the Divinity within the great Buddha. Some of the little fish do not understand that concept. Jesus was referring to Jim Jones, or Bhagwan Rajneesh, Crefio Dollar, Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, Joyce Meyer, or other goombas like that, who claim to know God. Not Buddha, Mohammed, Krishna, or other great saints. it is the small minded underlings, that created this concept of exclusivity. If you church tells you you cannot show respect for other saints, they are just plain old misleading you down the path of darkness. The light knows no limits. There is nothing exclusionary about true spirituality. Hinduism and Buddhism both teach tolerance for all religions and faiths. Only ignorance preaches otherwise. Do not buy into it. Follow your heart. Of course different faiths can be mixed. Find the best of each one and incorporate them into your life, to your hearts content. Dismiss the nonsense, and the advice of the ignorant.

It does not hurt to learn about other faiths, but hay remember what Jesus said about false prophets and worshiping idols of gold and men ps I'm a Christians to but I do respect the teachings of Buddha I can't find anything bad in it and some of his teachings are very close to what the big man said,shame they never met as I think Buddha would have found enlightenment

I guarantee you that Jesus had not issue whatsoever, with following the teachings of other prophets. Buddha is no false prophet. He was a great saint. You are not bowing to a false prophet. You are bowing to the Divinity within the great Buddha. Some of the little fish do not understand that concept. Jesus was referring to Jim Jones, or Bhagwan Rajneesh, Crefio Dollar, Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, Joyce Meyer, or other goombas like that, who claim to know God. Not Buddha, Mohammed, Krishna, or other great saints. it is the small minded underlings, that created this concept of exclusivity. If you church tells you you cannot show respect for other saints, they are just plain old misleading you down the path of darkness. The light knows no limits. There is nothing exclusionary about true spirituality. Hinduism and Buddhism both teach tolerance for all religions and faiths. Only ignorance preaches otherwise. Do not buy into it. Follow your heart. Of course different faiths can be mixed. Find the best of each one and incorporate them into your life, to your hearts content. Dismiss the nonsense, and the advice of the ignorant.

Guarantee? Interesting.

seriously though great post!

Buddhism is not really a religion, it is simply a way to live your life, Buddha himself said he didn't want any idols/icons or for people to pray to him... so my answer is a resounding "YES", you can be both Buddhist and Christian at the same time.

The attached 3 page article provides a really good explanation of the differences. Jesus said no man can serve two masters (Bible: Matthew 6:24).

In the Bible, John 14:6 Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

A Christian believes Jesus is God and places his faith in him and the God's Spirit then lives in him and helps him live in God's way. The Buddhist follows the practices of a man who teaches self help. Christians believe that since the first man Adam sinned, people are born with a sin nature you might describe as selfish. Jesus told us to love God and love our brothers the way we love ourselves - no self involved here.

Romans 10:9 If you declare with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:10 For one believes with his heart and is justified, and declares with his mouth and is saved.
To the OP, a biblical Christian is quite different from a cultural Christian. A comparison will be shared. Keep on searching for the truth (there is only one).

"Keep on searching for the truth (there is only one)."

Perhaps, but none of us knows what that truth is for sure (as much as we may want to believe we do). [belief <> knowledge]

Anyone who believes any of the written ancient texts in any religion is deluding themselves. They've all been translated and transcribed umpteen times with numerous known mistakes and mistranslations over the ages, and goodness knows what the originals of those texts were actually trying to report from the prior oral culture. Religion is for those who need it to support their self-confidence. Nothing wrong with that, we all need help on a bad day, but to base one's whole life on a single premise would be a grand folly. That's what today's jihadists do and look at the sad state of their situation and the misery they bring. An extreme example maybe, but every existing religion has bred extremists at some time or other with the resulting narrow-minded persecution of anyone who is not on their "path".

Perhaps, but none of us knows what that truth is for sure (as much as we may want to believe we do). [belief <> knowledge]

Correct, no one knows for sure, thats why they call it faith. But for me I truly believe that there is something, I just cannot kid myself that there is nothing and that the universe came from nothing.

I guess we do not have the capacity to understand but one day maybe we will. For now though the best thing people can do is follow what they believe and if it gives people peace and they treat other people with respect then its not a bad thing.

As for people that say religion is the reason for wars etc,, I don't buy it at all. I think people are killing each other for a million different reasons and would continue to do so if there were no religion,, money springs to mind or power, or territory, or cultural differences etc, etc,,,

For the poster (and his very interesting post) I hope he finds what he is looking for.

You can do whatever the hell you want. Why not ? Easier to be an anti theist like me, don't have to make up problems like this....

I'm sure you could pray to the giant chicken god at the centre of Uranus and it will have exactly the same effect.

You can pray to tea leaves, the cobra in the garden or your girlfriend's frilly knickers, nobody will bat an eyelid. Just thank the Buddha that you were not born an Iraqi.

I could never understand why the subject of faith seems to cause those who claim they lack faith to get their knickers in a knot or why they feel obliged to make childish comments about what someone else believes. Aside from getting some puerile jollies out of making comments, what possible purpose could it serve?

Non theists get their knickers in a knot because many (not all) believers want to put religious beliefs into law, dictating

their beliefs.

Virtually every religion teaches intolerance for any other religion.

You have been created as an individual with the freedom to choose to follow as many religions as you want, or none at all. All roads lead Home, even one's own un-organized, individual way. I value highly both the teachers you mentioned, and others, too, but find it more helpful to take their teadhings as philosophical food for thought, and even better, to live the teachings. After the teacher has left, the passage of time lessens the purity of the teachings, so that we are led to listen within.

Religions can be helps and hindrances, too, on our way to realizing spirituality. Thanks be!

If anyone really studies Buddhism then they'd understand Gautama Buddha said NOT to worship him as a god. You do really have to pick one or the other, though, as others have pointed out. There are too many fundanental inconsistencies that make them untimately incompatible.

If you know who you are -- a spirit in a dirt-body, made in the image and likeness of God (Genesis 1:26) there should be no issues what you want to call yourself. God included all humanity -- no matter what label of religion they want to put on themselves -- when He reconciled the world to Himself through Jesus (the God-in-man being) nailing dead the curse of sin on the cross, cancelling out the mis-perceived distance between God and man, and with his resurrection, He returned the authority of man to take dominion over the earth. What happens here on earth is very much dependent on your choices, how you wield the authority and power God's given man -- God doesn't send sickness, misfortune, scams, problems as if He has to spank us for our sins. God is Love and as a father, that's His nature. If you believe He's your heavenly father, you will also believe in His unconditional love for you. The way you choose to live your life very much depends on what you believe. Too many people people live in fear, or are overly sin-conscious. "If I do this, it brings bad luck or good luck or the idea of good/bad karma. "That fear or consciousness alone will put you in bondage. You now fear that if you follow one Christianity or Buddhism, you may anger an unknown force or this could be a sin . Let go of that -- don't imprison and bind yourself to religion with all its rules, traditions and customs. You need neither a church, a temple, a priest, a monk or anyone to tell you how to live your life if you just come into a position where you can discover that it's a RELATIONSHIP with God that matters, NOT a RELIGION. That's all pretty much man-made. TALK to God, and ASK Him to show you His reality and what you should do. I'm pretty sure He'll show up as I know He always answers the hungry heart. If you're really seeking, you will find, knocking, the door will be open to you. All you have to do is REALISE that God's Spirit lives within you -- He's there but you just haven't realised His presence yet! Check Him out -- you'll be pleasantly surprised -- 'and you will know the truth and the truth shall set you free' (John 8:32) Discover His Love, and the freedom you can have from man and the system's traditions! Heaven is not after you die -- let heaven invade your world NOW! Don't wait -- life is meant to be lived to the full, abundantly! (John 10:10)

If you know who you are -- a spirit in a dirt-body, made in the image and likeness of God (Genesis 1:26)... /snip/

Excellent reply to the original post, imho, but I can't help thinking the original poster should seek out an authority from their chosen Christian/Catholic religion. There might be a congregation in Thailand, or If not, perhaps contact might be made via email.

Correct, no one knows for sure, thats why they call it faith. But for me I truly believe that there is something, I just cannot kid myself that there is nothing and that the universe came from nothing.

I guess we do not have the capacity to understand but one day maybe we will. For now though the best thing people can do is follow what they believe and if it gives people peace and they treat other people with respect then its not a bad thing.

As for people that say religion is the reason for wars etc,, I don't buy it at all. I think people are killing each other for a million different reasons and would continue to do so if there were no religion,, money springs to mind or power, or territory, or cultural differences etc, etc,,,

For the poster (and his very interesting post) I hope he finds what he is looking for.

I agree with what you've said. I would add that while I am with you when you say that religion is not a true cause of wars (i.e., that humans would find others reasons to kill each other without religion), it provides a very convenient tool for power-hungry men to start wars. It also makes people fight more unquestioningly and more brutally. It's easier to get men to blow themselves up for an eternity of virgins in the afterlife or because they are simply pleasing God than for more abstract reasons like 'democracy' or a border on a map... and religious differences make it easier to objectify the 'other' as sub-human, evil, or a threat to be eliminated ('they are an abomination in the eyes of God). Some (not all) of the worst and most protracted wars in history have been driven by religious hatred stirred up by leaders who stood to benefit. And religious enmity certainly seems to be the greatest cause of suffering in today's world (again, used by men seeking power for themselves).

Just live a decent life, respect, understanding, tolerance. How many religions are there? Picking one over the others, chances are you get it wrong. As long as you are a generally good person, you should be just fine. At least that is what I believe in.

It's a defence mechanism which comes up when people of faith try to push their beliefs on non-believers.

I don't lack faith, I rely on reason. And believe me, people of faith constantly push their beliefs.

"It's a defence mechanism which comes up when people of faith try to push their beliefs on non-believers.

This is the Buddhism forum. Why would someone feel he was pushed to read anything here? One would think people reading and posting here would be allowed some freedom at least here without being subject to abusive comments being pushed on them.

Up to you

What does your heart, mind. tell you is right? I am christian, my wife Buddhist. She prays, I pray we are harpy as we are. I hope you will be as well

When I first read the O/P I wanted to respond with reference to a book I read quite some time ago that addressed this issue. I couldn't remember the title, so I did a search on Amazon. Didn't find the title I was looking for (and as I recall the book was not especially satisfying, which is one reason I may have been unable to remember the title or author), but came across a couple of other books that sounded promising and on topic.

The first was Without Buddha I Could Not Be a Christian ... by "esteemed" theologian, Paul F. Knitter.

Considering Knitter's background and mine and what he discovered as he explored this same issue, I thought it might be worth a read myself and I downloaded in onto my Kindle.

Just started reading it and I'm still in the first chapter, but I think I feel safe in re-recommending the book. His summation of the basics of Buddhism helped me to better understand something I knew very little about and knew in a disconnected sort of way. And, it has opened my eyes to the importance of the quest for enlightenment in defining the God of Christianity.

Obviously this is a subject that can generate emotional responses, including negative & bitter reactions (which ironically lends credence to the validity of the Four Noble Truths). If you are genuinely seeking some way to better understand (Roman Catholic) Christianity through the processes taught in Buddhism, I think this would be a good resource. If you adamantly reject Christian religion and/or Buddhist thoughts on opening your eyes, maybe not so much.

Archived