Can I follow both Christianity and Buddhism?

benj005

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You say you would like to explore what the Buddhist religion has to offer. You need to understand that Buddhism is not a religion. Period. Nobody will get petulant because you don't get down on bended knee and worship some mysterious/fictitious being in the sky (personally I've never understood how this all knowing, all understanding entity would get the hump if you didn't get down on bended knee, but that's another thing altogether) There are plenty of religious Buddhists - people that follow Catholicism etc, particularly in America. They believe in their God but also believe in the teachings and life set of Buddha and why not? If you're offending your local priest or whatever by studying Buddhism and following it's teachings then you really need to find a more enlightened Church my friend! Thais offer prayers up to Monks usually wanting some kind of good luck in return and some do it for respect but it's not part of the religion as it's not a religion.. Go where your heart takes you.

Out of interest, why do you feel that Buddhism is not a religion?

Is worship a fundamental criteria of the definition of religion?

In dictionary.com's definition of Religion worship is not mentioned.

Your life do what YOU want.

If you are happy , then do,it... If it feels good .... Do it.....

I don't think he's seeking permission to be allowed to do it, but asking if there is an inherent contradiction in attempting to "combine" the two ... although asking about praying to Buddha seems to be a fundamental error regaring either Christianity or Buddhism.

It is a subject that has been dealt with, with varying degrees of success by some "esteemed" authors, but reading one of the books that looks into the issue may open your mind to what contradictions may or may not exist.

51mj%2BkHm1sL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-st

Without Buddha I Could Not Be a Christian narrates how esteemed theologian, Paul F. Knitter overcame a crisis of faith by looking to Buddhism for inspiration. From prayer to how Christianity views life after death, Knitter argues that a Buddhist standpoint can encourage a more person-centred conception of Christianity, where individual religious experience comes first, and liturgy and tradition second. Moving and revolutionary, this book will inspire Christians everywhere.

41iGjVtSXrL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Living Buddha, Living Christ

Buddha and Christ, perhaps the two most pivotal figures in the history of humankind, each left behind a legacy of teachings and practices that have shaped the lives of billions of people over two millennia. If they were to meet on the road today, what would each think of the other's spiritual views and practices? In this classic text for spiritual seekers, Thich Nhat Hanh explores the crossroads of compassion and holiness at which the two traditions meet, and he reawakens our understanding of both.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can do whatever the hell you want. Why not ? Easier to be an anti theist like me, don't have to make up problems like this....

I'm sure you could pray to the giant chicken god at the centre of Uranus and it will have exactly the same effect.

You can pray to tea leaves, the cobra in the garden or your girlfriend's frilly knickers, nobody will bat an eyelid. Just thank the Buddha that you were not born an Iraqi.

I could never understand why the subject of faith seems to cause those who claim they lack faith to get their knickers in a knot or why they feel obliged to make childish comments about what someone else believes. Aside from getting some puerile jollies out of making comments, what possible purpose could it serve?

I had a Hindu GF years ago. In amongst the statues of Vishnu, Krishna etc etc in her living room altar was a crucifix with Jesus. Complete with saffron powder smeared on his forehead. "Just to be sure" was her answer to my query.

You say you would like to explore what the Buddhist religion has to offer. You need to understand that Buddhism is not a religion. Period. Nobody will get petulant because you don't get down on bended knee and worship some mysterious/fictitious being in the sky (personally I've never understood how this all knowing, all understanding entity would get the hump if you didn't get down on bended knee, but that's another thing altogether) There are plenty of religious Buddhists - people that follow Catholicism etc, particularly in America. They believe in their God but also believe in the teachings and life set of Buddha and why not? If you're offending your local priest or whatever by studying Buddhism and following it's teachings then you really need to find a more enlightened Church my friend! Thais offer prayers up to Monks usually wanting some kind of good luck in return and some do it for respect but it's not part of the religion as it's not a religion.. Go where your heart takes you.

Out of interest, why do you feel that Buddhism is not a religion?

Is worship a fundamental criteria of the definition of religion?

In dictionary.com's definition of Religion worship is not mentioned.

That's a great question and I guess a lot comes to personal interpretation. Religion is basically a system of faith & worship owing an allegiance to a supernatural being. Being married in the eyes of God etc etc Buddhism on the other hand does not demand blind allegiance from it's adherents. It merely suggests a way of living which should benefit the adherent and those around him. No hail Marys, no last rites etc. I guess it's more of a philosophy. In my opinion and putting it bluntly, religion is superstitious rubbish and a jumble of primitive beliefs designed to control people. It's passionate and irrational. Buddhism is more a practice of contemplation and inquiry that doesn't depend (or demand) on belief in a God, soul or supernatural being and as such, is not a religion. Thanks for the question, I hope I explained my view clearly? (and it is only my view so it doesn't mean it right - or wrong!)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can do whatever the hell you want. Why not ? Easier to be an anti theist like me, don't have to make up problems like this....

I'm sure you could pray to the giant chicken god at the centre of Uranus and it will have exactly the same effect.

You can pray to tea leaves, the cobra in the garden or your girlfriend's frilly knickers, nobody will bat an eyelid. Just thank the Buddha that you were not born an Iraqi.

I could never understand why the subject of faith seems to cause those who claim they lack faith to get their knickers in a knot or why they feel obliged to make childish comments about what someone else believes. Aside from getting some puerile jollies out of making comments, what possible purpose could it serve?

It's a defence mechanism which comes up when people of faith try to push their beliefs on non-believers.

I don't lack faith, I rely on reason. And believe me, people of faith constantly push their beliefs.

My Christian/Catholic upbringing doesn't allow me to pray to Buddha.

Can I follow Christianity and use the workings of Buddha for my time on earth? A lot of people tell me that Jesus and Buddha were alike. I like what the Buddhist religion has to offer. Could I follow the teachings of Buddha but maintain my Christian upbringing?

Thanks.

My understanding is that those who pray to Buddha don't understand his teaching.

One should not worship him but respect him for his Dharma.

The power of the Buddha lies in the regular practice of his teaching.

Buddhism is a system of personal ethics, not a religion with an omnipotent God. I believe somewhere in Buddhist scriptures it is recorded that the Buddha himself did not believe in a supreme God, ruling all of creation. And praying to Buddha would seem to be a fundamental misunderstanding; he was a man who sought enlightenment through living a particular way of life.

Also I believe, some years back, the previous Pope, speaking vis a vis other religions, said something to the effect that he had no problem with the core beliefs of Islam, but did have a difficulty with Buddhism as a godless religion (in the literal, rather than the derogatory, use of the term "godless"). In practice your Catholic upbringing should allow you to follow the Buddist ethic of right behaviour, in so far as it does not contradict Christian teaching, if you can still maintain your faith in God.

However your priest might well tell you very differently.

It's quite a reasonable question. I, like you, was given a Catholic education (back in Sydney).

Here's what I do over here.

I always accompany my lovely Thai wife, whenever she visits a Temple.

I pay respect to Buddha (or even other deities), by following my wife's actions in giving the floral tribute, attaching the 'gold' strips, burning the incense etc. etc.

BUT, while she is 'praying' to Buddha etc., I am always offering up a prayer to God…NOT asking for anything, but merely offering thanks for my life…(1) Waking up each morning, and (2) Making it through the day…preferably unscathed.

Sometimes I say a quick prayer for my 'departed' relatives and friends…"May the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen."

It's up to you, and each of us…ALL is OK, just as long as you respect everyone's right to choose, and don't try to impose your opinion on someone else.

Good luck.

J.W.

The problem with Christianity is the eternal damnation. When you are bad during the 70,80 years of your life and do not 'truthfully' repent then you are sent to Hell for ever! in Hinduism and Buddhism, the law of karma takes care of that. You are given the benefit of many rebirths so that you pay out your karma. When your karma account is settled, meaning that your bad deeds during your lives were compensated by misfortunes and pain then you enjoy 'paradise'provided you do not 'sin' anymore. This religion I find more fair than Christianity in the sense that a lifetime of misguidance, ignorance, bad upbringing etc mean eternal punishment. this cannot be right. On the other hand, our lord Jesus teaches of total love and total self sacrifice, powerful stuff, which makes Christianity the great religion it is.

Bottom line: Both are powerful philosophical teachings of love and one compliments the other wonderfully, so, my friend you are lucky to find solace in both religions. Everybody should do the same

Both guys said they didn't want people to "pray" to them. Prayer is the same as meditation in that you focus your mind. Prayer "for" something goes against both religions, since "wanting" something is selfish.

"Both guys said they didn't want people to "pray" to them."

Is that really true in the case of Jesus? He did say, for example, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

In what part of the Bible does Jesus explicitly say not to pray to him?

[Note: I no longer consider myself a Christian]

Small variation: " I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Dhamma,Tao,God ...except through my teaching.

Both guys said they didn't want people to "pray" to them. Prayer is the same as meditation in that you focus your mind. Prayer "for" something goes against both religions, since "wanting" something is selfish.

"Both guys said they didn't want people to "pray" to them."

Is that really true in the case of Jesus? He did say, for example, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

In what part of the Bible does Jesus explicitly say not to pray to him?

[Note: I no longer consider myself a Christian]

Small variation: " I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Dhamma,Tao,God ...except through my teaching.

I said that once but nobody listened,well let them burn that'll teach em

In today's world...the lines between religions have become somewhat blurred...those who strictly adhere to their religious doctrine are most likely in the minority...people now days...take what they like from a religion...discard the rest...and form some hybrid personal belief...sounds as if you will become one of them...do what gives you inner peace...self-confidence...and eternal happiness...blessings to you...

Buddhism on the other hand does not demand blind allegiance from it's adherents. It merely suggests a way of living which should benefit the adherent and those around him.

I guess it's more of a philosophy. In my opinion and putting it bluntly, religion is superstitious rubbish and a jumble of primitive beliefs designed to control people.

It's passionate and irrational. Buddhism is more a practice of contemplation and inquiry that doesn't depend (or demand) on belief in a God, soul or supernatural being and as such, is not a religion.

Thank you for your view.

Doesn't Buddhism teach the cycle of countless re births suffering in Samsara, including eons suffering in hell realms, until one embraces and practices the teachings with which to escape to the state of Nibanna?

Doesn't Buddhism teach the existence of Citta, awareness beyond the conditions of time and space, which allows it to blanket everything. Far is like near, for concepts of space do not apply.

All that appears is a very refined awareness suffusing everything throughout the entire universe. The whole world seems to be filled by this subtle quality of knowing, as though nothing else exists, though things still exist in the world as they always have?

Doesn't it also need considerable faith to devote oneself to years of Mindfulness & Meditation practice to achieve the levels of Samadhi required in order to investigate body, & mind/consciousness and through this break free from Samsara?

Would you say these teachings are a philosophy or a religion (belief in existence beyond death, albeit conscious awareness)?

Can I follow both Christianity and Buddhism?

Don't be a follower, do what you know/feel is right for you. Don't rely on the views of others, especially priests/monks, make up your own mind. 'Worship' is an invention of the priesthood, not a requirement of any religion, just being decent is enough.

Because the same way it is comedic to listen to a child explain things from their simple perspective it is equally as comical to hear an adult spew nonsense about mythical men in the sky who control everything. If you believe in this crap you are either unintelligent, uninformed or brainwashed. All of which are repairable conditions. Get informed, stop reading fictional fairy tails and snap out of it.

All of the prohibitions against doing wicked things are evident in human behavior and predate the organizational constructs of religions by thousands of years. How to interpret right from wrong, bad from good is hard wired into us. The elegance of the teachings of The Buddha is a recognition of that truth. The Abrahamic religions deified individual characters in an order that is hierarchical and proceeded to organize all human activity along those hierarchical levels. My own view is that it is far more fulfilling to study and learn about religion than it is to pick a team. This path can take you to a realm that transcends 'belief'.

Buddhism on the other hand does not demand blind allegiance from it's adherents. It merely suggests a way of living which should benefit the adherent and those around him.

I guess it's more of a philosophy. In my opinion and putting it bluntly, religion is superstitious rubbish and a jumble of primitive beliefs designed to control people.

It's passionate and irrational. Buddhism is more a practice of contemplation and inquiry that doesn't depend (or demand) on belief in a God, soul or supernatural being and as such, is not a religion.

Thank you for your view.

Doesn't Buddhism teach the cycle of countless re births suffering in Samsara, including eons suffering in hell realms, until one embraces and practices the teachings with which to escape to the state of Nibanna?

Doesn't Buddhism teach the existence of Citta, awareness beyond the conditions of time and space, which allows it to blanket everything. Far is like near, for concepts of space do not apply.

All that appears is a very refined awareness suffusing everything throughout the entire universe. The whole world seems to be filled by this subtle quality of knowing, as though nothing else exists, though things still exist in the world as they always have?

Doesn't it also need considerable faith to devote oneself to years of Mindfulness & Meditation practice to achieve the levels of Samadhi required in order to investigate body, & mind/consciousness and through this break free from Samsara?

Would you say these teachings are a philosophy or a religion (belief in existence beyond death, albeit conscious awareness)?

The line between religion and philosophy (especially metaphysics) is very blurred. For example, Plato postulated a domain of Forms or universals that existed in a domain separate from our reality but which 'explained' our categories (e.g., there is an ideal bottle of beer 'out there somewhere' and the bottles we drink from are just imperfect shadows of this ideal). Is this philosophy or religion? Plato also talked about how, after we die, we go to the domain of Forms before returning to life in another body. Does that make him a religious leader? Pretty blurry in those parts...

Because the same way it is comedic to listen to a child explain things from their simple perspective it is equally as comical to hear an adult spew nonsense about mythical men in the sky who control everything. If you believe in this crap you are either unintelligent, uninformed or brainwashed. All of which are repairable conditions. Get informed, stop reading fictional fairy tails and snap out of it.

You see Suradit, Csabo has illustrated your point quite effectively.

Archived