Thai Police to crack down on drivers using smartphone functions today

webfact

Police to crack down on drivers using smartphone functions today

BANGKOK: -- Police will Tuesday start arresting drivers using smartphone functions while driving, said deputy national police chief Pol Gen Wut Liptapanlop.

He said motorists found to play Line games, chatting and using the phone to read web pages will be arrested because their acts could cause accidents and slow down traffic flow.

Using a mobile phone without headset or speakerphone system is already illegal. Now, police decide to step up crackdown on the use of smartphone functions after it was reported that drivers attached their smartphones to their steeling wheel to text while driving.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Police-to-crack-down-on-drivers-using-smartphone-f-30240238.html

[thenation]2014-08-05[/thenation]

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Traffic Police: The 5 common violations and No texting while driving measures goes well on first day

BANGKOK, 5 August 2014 (NNT)- Traffic police today reported smoother traffic flow at most intersections in the capital as thousands of police were deployed to implement strict measures concerning five common violations. Police are particularly enforcing the law against texting while driving.

Ninety Bangkok intersections which are normally congested with vehicles defying traffic laws, are being closely monitored. Police have launched the campaign against major violations of traffic laws focusing on taking legal action against drivers who cut across lanes especially at merging points. These drivers will receive the immediate attention of the law enforcers.

Traffic police commander Pol Maj-Gen Jirasan Kaeosang-ek said traffic flow this morning was smooth. From this D Day, the ‘no texting while driving’ order will be the focus of police action during the campaign. Drivers at fault are those who take a phone call, message or even browse the internet. He said the police would assess the result of this morning’s campaign this afternoon for improved supervision over coming days. Drivers who use a mobile phone to call, or text will receive a penalty ranging from 400 baht to 1,000 baht.

[nnt]2014-08-05[/nnt]

Talking on the phone illegal while driving? How come nobody respects the law? Is it because the police is just a bunch of lazy thugs?

To be honest I don't think it is a lot better in Europe on this issue....... well from what I see in the UK, which is actually quite  a law abiding society. I think they investigate 'after the event' more.

As to Thailand, can't see into 90% of the vehicles so good luck policing this.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This problem needs some BIG fines. What's 400-1000 Bht....nothing. Confiscate the phone first, then chuck the perp in jail for a few weeks. That'll sort it out.

General?

Is that you?

• Like 1

Ok.... let's have a guessing competition.... what will the next crackdown be on?

I'm in favor of a crackdown on people wearing sparkly "doll eyes" contact lenses, in an unnatural colour. The day-walkers. 5000 baht on the spot fine. Just a quick walk around any university campus or the Siam area and the authorities will clean up. I mean surely these people are a threat to themselves and society in general. When I was a wee chappy we didn't stand for this kind of nonsense.

Can we extend this to people using the stairs on the BTS? The other day got stuck in a queue going down because the woman at the front was blissfully unaware of the build up behind her as she played Farmville on her iPad. While very slowly going down the stairs. On the bright side she had built up an impressive virtual farm. On the down side part of me hoped she'd slip and injure herself, and nobody wants to be having those thoughts. 

Our society is fixated on their phones, take a look on the BTS, nose to the screen and not looking where they are going.  I refuse to move out of the way of these idiots any more, I just stop in front of them and make them look up, for a change. 

• Like 2

Congratulations!

A well overdue move by Thai Authorities and another reason we should all be delighted with the improvements brought about by the Military.

Hit them and hit them hard.......Hike the Fines to 5-Thousand for a second Offence, 10-Thousand for the Third, PLUS Confiscation of "Smart" or "Less than Smart Phone" which could later be sold at a Police Auction and the funds donated to a Charity that looks after children who have been injured in Road Crashes.