Man Purchases 1m baht of Fake Amulets In Pattaya

Rimmer

Man Purchases Fake Amulets In Pattaya

33.jpg
PATTAYA – August 4, 2014 [Pattaya Daily News];- at 17.00 pm Mr.Suwat Noipojjana aged 57 had brought about 100 amulets which were covered with gold but notified the police officer after he was fooled by a gang. He had lost about a million baht which he had paid for the amulets.

Mr.Suwat revealed that he is an amulet collector but he couldn’t distinguish between fake ones and authentic ones. He knew the amulet shop owner on Thepprasit road. He then met a someone who pretended to be an amulet expert and offered him some amulets. In addition the stranger told Mr Suwat that he was a friend of the amulet shop owner on Thepprasit road . The stranger then showed him some amulets which had been published in the famous amulet magazine therefore he decided to buy 80 amulets costing about 400,000 baht.

At the end of July someone who also pretend to be an amulet expert offered him some more amulets so Mr.Suwat decided to meet him and bought another 100 amulets costing around 600,000 baht. The stranger also showed him the certificates and insisted he would give him a full refund if they were fake.
Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/man-purchases-fake-amulets-pattaya/

[pan]2014-08-05[/pan]

• Like 1

Some years ago I bought a fake Rolex watch from a street vendor in Turkey whose stall proudly proclaimed "Only genuine fake watches sold here"..................I will bet it has worked a lot better than any fake (or genuine!) amulet...............

• Like 2

Seeing as how Mr Suwat is such an ardent collector, i have got half a dozen Penny Blacks which i would like to sell.

You might be in there
I was once taken to a house in Bangkok where ALL known 1dBlacks had been bought by a Thai gentleman from Sothebys
and were strewed across his drawing room floor!

Post removed. Please read forum rule 11

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

How many of you collect anything or like to buy expensive things to show off?

I collect amulets, I don't go by value but the aesthetics of the amulet and I never spend more than a couple of hundred if i don't buy it in a temple.

An original Thai Buddhist amulet is made in a temple and blessed by one or more monks. It's a way for the temple to get money to for example modernise, renovate and build new buildings. One example I personally know is a temple school in Lampang province that sell amulets so that they can buy school books, computers and keep the school running!

Most times amulets are made in limited numbers and might be made of gold or silver (my favorite) and therefore are more expensive (about 1-2,500 for a silver amulet in the temple and up to 100,000 for a gold amulet, if it's copper or clay 59-99 Baht...).

There are also old amulets that might be several hundred years old and by that have a collectors value.

A copy is made in a factory just for the sake to sell, trying to cheat the people of their money for something that don't have any collectors value.

So would you also make fun of all that collects stamps, coins, art and anything else?!

Are you suggesting that a buddhist amulet is in no ways different from any other commercial object, and can be treated as such?

• Like 1

How many of you collect anything or like to buy expensive things to show off?

I collect amulets, I don't go by value but the aesthetics of the amulet and I never spend more than a couple of hundred if i don't buy it in a temple.

An original Thai Buddhist amulet is made in a temple and blessed by one or more monks. It's a way for the temple to get money to for example modernise, renovate and build new buildings. One example I personally know is a temple school in Lampang province that sell amulets so that they can buy school books, computers and keep the school running!
Most times amulets are made in limited numbers and might be made of gold or silver (my favorite) and therefore are more expensive (about 1-2,500 for a silver amulet in the temple and up to 100,000 for a gold amulet, if it's copper or clay 59-99 Baht...).

There are also old amulets that might be several hundred years old and by that have a collectors value.

A copy is made in a factory just for the sake to sell, trying to cheat the people of their money for something that don't have any collectors value.

So would you also make fun of all that collects stamps, coins, art and anything else?!

Are you suggesting that a buddhist amulet is in no ways different from any other commercial object, and can be treated as such?
As I said I collect amulets that I like and think are beautifully. Some people believe that they also have supernatural powers... some don't!

I have some Thai friends that don't like that people buy and sell amulets and I have others that make their living from buying and selling amulets!
I have also seen Thais and foreigners buying amulets by the bucket hoping to find some amulets that they could sell with a profit.
So I would say that it's a hard question as I don't want to offend anyone with my answer!
  • Like 2