Language, Life and Love

laolover88

When I first came to Thailand 25 years ago I spoke no Thai.
Now I have a Thai wife and Luk Khreung children
We speak at lest 5 languages at home. Thai, English, Welsh, French, Lao +Passa Yor
I am wondering how other TV members who live here and have families manage their relationships and life through
available communication. I said to one member there was a time we sent SMS messages in English around the house to be sure everyone understood!
Is mutual incomprehension the breaking point for otherwise fond relationships?

English, Thai, Issan and the wife speaks three different languages to her mother on the phone that I have not figured out.  She told me not to feel bad as only the immediate family and neighbors can understand her mother 100%.  Odd though, that my wife uses two phones and a tablet but calls me up.  She has Samsung's complete graphic capability and she calls me up?  I keep telling her to send me babymetal music and some photos of stuff at work and stray dogs and snakes and all I get are phone calls.  sad.png

We have English, Thai & Village northern dialect here - - there are miscommunications often, sometimes due to language, sometimes culture, sometimes just male/female, but problems rarely. The element of most importance is intent… As any group of people living together, toes sometimes get stepped on, but here, never with intent to harm… 

My soon to be wife (this saturday) had good english skills when we met for first time. Her written english was almost flawless but she just lacked a bit of practice when it comes to speak. We have been together 4 years now and we speak mainly english, although I am learning thai slowly and we include more and more thai in our conversations. I am spanish so i could teach my wife and son spanish too but... what for? not a very useful language i think.

My soon to be wife (this saturday) had good english skills when we met for first time. Her written english was almost flawless but she just lacked a bit of practice when it comes to speak. We have been together 4 years now and we speak mainly english, although I am learning thai slowly and we include more and more thai in our conversations. I am spanish so i could teach my wife and son spanish too but... what for? not a very useful language i think.

Spanish is the second-most widely spoken language in the world--ahead of English

• Like 1

Spanish is the second-most widely spoken language in the world--ahead of English

Yes Mandarin 955 mill, Spanish 405 mill, English 360mil. and Hindi 310mill. But English is the most widely spoken language. Mandarin, Hindi isn't spoken much out side of there native countries. International choice of communication across borders is English. Most of the worlds international business in conducted in English.

I would say English is probably a very important language to learn, albeit Spanish and Mandarin have more speakers.  

• Like 1

Thai and Northeastern Thai/Lao are spoken by my family and everyone in our area. My wife speaks passable English and I am slowly learning Thai/Lao. We all seem to get by pretty well with (basic) communication and, in a pinch, my wife translates for us. A good sense of humor is an essential element for all of us and we all have a good laugh (usually at my expense) when we have a communication flub-a-dub. The thing I miss is being able to have a serious sit down conversation with family members and neighbors. Hopefully, as time passes my language skills will improve and remedy that situation.