new Kenwood unit - sounds bad

My work doesn't allow me the time to do this otherwise I would. As the boss I don't much time for myself. I did several cars long ago and enjoyed the experience. Also I see a brand name like JBL and wonder if it's real or copy from China. As there is no area set up to hear them. It's just here's the box and good luck.

My work doesn't allow me the time to do this otherwise I would. As the boss I don't much time for myself. I did several cars long ago and enjoyed the experience. Also I see a brand name like JBL and wonder if it's real or copy from China. As there is no area set up to hear them. It's just here's the box and good luck.

I had some JBL speakers in a second hand honda city. I don't know if they were genuine, but they sounded fantastic!

the best pre installed system I and several other golden eared audiophiles have heard is in the Jeab Cherokee Grand

I dont know what the head unit was but it was matched to an amp under the passenger seat and to several Infinity speakers throughout the car

The cabin was big and so whatever engineer matched this space to the sound system was a geniuous

I drove many long trips of 12 -15 hours straight and no matter what style of music I played it always sounded excellent.

No graphics - just bass and treble

and could be played loud without distortion

but the Yaris doesnt have the cabin size - so its trial and error

JBL was formerly used in Ford's top-of-the-line vehicle audio systems, as competition with Chrysler (whose cars used Infinity) and Nissan (who used Bose). Today, Toyota uses JBL systems in its product line-up.

• 6 months later...

finally bought some Pioneer speakers - hand carried from OZ as I was afraid of copies here and this model was not imported by Pioneer.

6.5 in 2 way D series

fitted for 500 baht with extensions as well

so I slung the guys a tip for low priced job

and gues what

it still sounds bad

so I have the wiring diagram for the yaris and the kenwood head unit

i am gradually going through it wire by wire

then i see that the tweeters in the columns are still working so i disconnect one and the sound stops in the 2 way speaker as well - there is no crossover but the way I see it is that they unecessary as the 2 ways will do the job.

It seems that there is unecessary wiring in the system and that the 2 ways should be connected straight to the head unit loom.

the colour coded wires are confusing at best as the rear right and rear left are the same on L and R at white and red?? This is factory - however when the unit was first installed they just cut off the ends in the front R and L and soldered on other wires of different colours - so phasing could be an issue here - as mentioned before

so i will check one side back to the head unit - and wire it directly - this means pulling the unit from the dash -and pulling to doors apart.