NCPO concerned about issuing license for foreign teachers

webfact

NCPO concerned about issuing license for foreign teachers

BANGKOK, 5 August 2014 (NNT) –The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has voiced concerns about the granting of licenses to foreign teachers.

The Teachers' Council of Thailand (TCT) committee chairman Paitoon Sinlarat revealed that the NCPO cautioned the TCT over the granting of licenses to foreign teachers over considerations of national security.

As a result they will comply with relevant laws such as the Alien Working Act and Immigration Act. In addition, the TCT will conduct a database of foreign teachers in connection with relevant authorities.

Meanwhile, the TCT is planning to invite the Immigration Bureau and the Office of the Private Education Commission to jointly lay down guidelines for an integrated database which all relevant authorities can access.

As it is expected that more foreigners will work as teachers in Thailand after the commencement of the AEC next year, it is necessary to have an online database to check data nationwide.

[nnt]2014-08-05[/nnt]

So apparently... the TCT is out the window?

I would love to hear someone's interpretation on this.

Actually no,  if anything they just got more powerful.  The NCPO did not forbid the TCT to issuer license for foreign teachers, just warned them.  In response the TCT has decided to set up a data base to monitor teachers.  I think something like those monitoring ankle bracelets.  LOL

Actually no,  if anything they just got more powerful.  The NCPO did not forbid the TCT to issuer license for foreign teachers, just warned them.  In response the TCT has decided to set up a data base to monitor teachers.  I think something like those monitoring ankle bracelets.  LOL

Fits in nicely with the 90 day notice to our parole officers and the need to ask for permission to stay in another province. 

Edited by phosphorescent
  • Like 2

Seems like a good idea the can also compare who has a license and who has a work permit. Thank you NCPO.

I don't see where that makes any sense at all????????  As work permits are specific to the school that you work for and once you left a school and went to work for another school, you wouldn't have a work permit the process would start all over again, same with visa.  As far as licenses there is also the waiver.  But without a waiver or license or work permit a person wouldn't be able to get an extension of their visa.  So, if someone has a valid B visa for teaching or an extension it's a safe bet they have a license or waiver and a work permit.  So exactly what is it that you are thanking the NCPO for??? This is about keeping track of the whereabouts of people, not if they are legal or not.

• Like 1

Lets not worry about the massive corruption in the edumacation system, those billions of baht are not important

Lets focus on those nasty foreigners who will bring this country to ruin!

popularist policies and very little substance, guess they are acting like a 'normal' government
  • Like 1

LOL

They are acting like the yellow elite,trying to keep dpwn the majority, exactly as i thought this junta would do.

However

A national data base, is very useful,as the new laws on overstay,visa hopping etc and this will help to catch the criminals.Also teachers work with kids, this should be tightened up very much.

The Teachers' Council of Thailand (TCT) committee chairman Paitoon Sinlarat revealed that the NCPO cautioned the TCT over the granting of licenses to foreign teachers over considerations of national security.

Can some one without being cynical, explain or translate what this actually says?

Does it mean:

Too many licenses have been issued to foreigners?

Too few

To the wrong people?

are they warning the TCT about?

Foreign teachers a national security threat? Please.

Ya gotta keep a close eye on those nasty foreign teachers.  They are known for teaching such subversive things such as "independent rational thinking", and "real democracy", and "freedom of speech", and "asking questions to find out why".  Can't afford to have those dangerous things taught in Thailand, now, can we?

If you are teaching that, you are not teaching English.

Why doesn't the NCPO just state: Foreigners are not allowed to teach legally in Thailand?

Edited by EvilDrSomkid
  • Like 2

Can some one without being cynical, explain or translate what this actually says?

Does it mean:

Too many licenses have been issued to foreigners?

Too few

To the wrong people?

are they warning the TCT about?

Foreign teachers a national security threat? Please.

Ya gotta keep a close eye on those nasty foreign teachers.  They are known for teaching such subversive things such as "independent rational thinking", and "real democracy", and "freedom of speech", and "asking questions to find out why".  Can't afford to have those dangerous things taught in Thailand, now, can we?

If you are teaching that, you are not teaching English.

Why doesn't the NCPO just state: Foreigners are not allowed to teach legally in Thailand?

Dude, that is the million dollar question.  That is why we are all here just joking.  Nobody really knows yet, not enough information.

• Like 1

Seems like a good idea the can also compare who has a license and who has a work permit. Thank you NCPO.

You cant get a work permit without a license, provisional or otherwise. don't you know that !

And if you can, then that is the fault of the Thai corrupt system and nothing to do with the foreign teacher.

How the hell can a teacher be a threat to national security unless of course. if I they stupidly educate students about issues within Thailand and encourage free thinking and critical thinking.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh .................... I get it now.  Damn foreigners. clap2.gif  blink.png   w00t.gif   bah.gif

• Like 2

The overall problem is that the people that are working illegally as teachers are not getting a TL or a provisional license.   They are off the radar.   Some are on a retirement visa, some are married to a Thai and on an O visa, some are on an Ed visa.   I know one who is simply on an extended overstay -- quite extended, I might add.  

It could be directed at just certain nationalities, rather like the visa crackdown was targeted, in the south, at certain nationalities.

What nationalities were being targeted, or which ones do you expect were being targeted? 

The one think that is rather interesting, is that I have a permanent license -- renewed every 5 years and the TCT has never quite gotten around to getting the actual license to the school -- the school has been handling the paperwork.   Then a couple of weeks ago, it became imperative that I send them another copy of my transcript, which I can't find, but can get a copy of from my University, then they decided just an updated picture would be enough.  

It all seemed rather rushed and it was the same for several colleagues that I work with.

.....or I could just be paranoid.