All about the money...

SoFarAndNear

The typical "lose face" situation. You do something wrong by calling her and telling her that she is actually the one doing wrong. Her paying the rent late is now no longer relevant. You have now made her lose face by telling her she was wrong by not paying on time. How dare you! :-)

So now you are the one in trouble. What is next? Well, depends on how much face she has lost. If you are lucking she will just move and thats it. If you are unlucky, she will make more trouble for you. Depends on the amount of face lost and who she knows. 

You better head off to the temple for some good luck :-)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP first of all you were 100% wrong to say anything to the tenant. If you talked to her the same way as you wrote, then you shamed her and made her loose face. You also used aggressive language (in a Thai context) and treated as a lower class servant.

2nd. She always paid her bill for each month. Being a few days late isn't a big deal at all. Harassing a tenant for being 1 day late is ridiculous. Though the original date was the 26th it isn't uncommon to make the payments on the first of the month.

My only advice is to stay out of your wife's business. You clearly don't do things the Thai way.

• Like 1

The lawyer stuff is probably chest puffing anyway. She does not even have time to pay rent, always claims to be busy and out of the country, yet she is supposedly going to meet with lawyers for hours to fight a guy she paid late every month. Please. 

I would use that comment as leverage for myself. Just collect on time, no questions, no breaks for her, and if she says anything, just say something like "we'll have to hash it all out in court I suppose". 

• Like 1

i think renters should pay on the agreed date,if occassionally late by 1 day ok but if its continually late by 5-6 days then it means problems for the landlord(am not just talking thailand here, it could be in any country) because he/she is always having to chase up.

And this loss of face business as an excuse for not doing the right thing is pure BS.

Do not let her get away with it.If it persists change the locks,pack her stuff up and providing the inside is the same as when she moved in return her deposit.

• Like 1

His wife had not dealt with anything. The woman was paying late every month. I think it is good he contacted her. I personally feel in this situation you just need to be forceful yet stay professional.... let people know you will not be messed with, and they usually wont mess with you. The wife was not doing this imo. This may be a case of this woman being arrogant and out of control. 

At this point, despite my stellar advice above, I would just pretend like the rental agreement is in full force, and expect payment on the contractual date every month. Just act like that phone call never took place pretty much. Get proof when all her payments come in so she knows you are ready to battle her (even if you aren't). Don't act afraid of a lawsuit that is BS, just smirk if she mentions it and say go ahead. If she's late do exactly as much as you can contractually, no more no less. If you can't do anything that was a mistake with the contract. If she moves out and sues just tell the judge she's a crazy, irrational late payer woman. 

You made me laugh opp, i would have at least waited for the next day to see if the funds had come in.

Agree with the comments above, stick to the letter of the law and if she moves out shes broken her contractual agreement, next time listen to your gutt feeling.

And if she does move out better for you, i certainly dont like the idea of having to chase my money consistently either.

[quote name="Thaiberius" post="8204153" timestamp="1407278233"][quote name="benalibina" post="8204116" timestamp="1407276135"][quote name="Thaiberius" post="8204085" timestamp="1407274035"][quote name="benalibina" post="8204073" timestamp="1407273435"][quote name="Thaiberius" post="8204057" timestamp="1407272734"]Never lend money or become involved in a monetary transaction if it involves regular payments with a Thai. You will get stuffed.[/quote]Utter nonense.[/quote]With respect, just for a start how many farang guys have been rolled with a house, bar, business, car, motorbike. It's almost the norm. I respect your right to an opinion but the evidence is just staring you in the face.[/quote]
What does your reply have to do with your nonsensical comment about never lending money to a thai etc ?

I dont dispute your above reply as an opinion of yours.[/quote]Would you lend money to a Thai? Not meaning a couple of hundred baht but a few grand?[/quote]

My girlfriend used to loan money to her friends. Did it several times, with several different women. Most paid her back. A couple of her "friends" did not. She stopped doing it, after she got stiffed twice, by women she had known for years. I have lent members of her family money several times. Sometimes large amounts, like 100k baht. I have ALWAYS been paid back. Not always on time, but always in full, eventually. So, some Thais are very honorable. Some are not. Like anywhere.

Spidermike
Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

The OP has communication issues with his wife if he felt he needed to make that rancorous telephone call.

I reckon through his actions his wife has lost face, not the tenant.

Damage limitation involves telling your wife to deal with it whilst at the same time seeking legal counsel. If the OP's name isn't on the rental agreement, then he could be making himself some trouble, especially if he decided to do anything as silly as throwing out the late-paying tenants property and changing the locks.... unless the signed rental contract specifically details this action which is very unlikely.

Wow. So much nonsense written on here by gutless wonders. The op was dead right to do what he did. The tenant clearly was clearly taking the Piss.

For the guys who said he should not have done anything I wonder do u have room to rent. I need a landlord I can take complete advantage off and one who will say nothing to me when I don't pay the rent on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Wow. So much nonsense written on here by gutless wonders. The op was dead right to do what he did. The tenant clearly was clearly taking the Piss.

For the guys who said he should not have done anything I wonder do u have room to rent. I need a landlord I can take complete advantage off and one who will say nothing to me when I don't pay the rent on time.

he isnt the landlord. his wife is

Do you have a room i can rent - I mean sorry your wife? You sound like the perfect landlord for me - oh sorry i mean your wife

Same thing if married, some people are always late taking the piss and this will never change. I see this behavior with a lot of my Dutch clients too. Its always the same that pay late if you don't take action they will pay later and later and stop paying at some point in time.

Same thing if married, some people are always late taking the piss and this will never change. I see this behavior with a lot of my Dutch clients too. Its always the same that pay late if you don't take action they will pay later and later and stop paying at some point in time.

it's not the same thing at all. his wife owns the house and she can manage it. 

You obviously don't know how to overcome problems when dealing with Thai people. 

Also if you think being 1-2 days late is a serious problem you obviously aren't a landlord either.

When someone moves into one of our places if it is near the end of the month we give them that first week free and just start on the first of the month. usually Collect around the 3rd or the 4th. I have had tenants be consistently late. Some are just not responsible or just don't pay attention to the date. I have one tenant that borrows money from me every month but pays back within a week.

The OP shouldn't talk to the tenants at all. If he does, he should use the Thai polite manner. It is more effective than being hostile or condescending.

The woman in the OP was out of the country and busy doing things. He stated that she is going through a divorce and having problems. Perhaps his wife actually liked her and was helping her. That is not possible now because the OP was rude.

• Like 1

I rent a house from an English bloke and his Thai wife.  They are living in the UK and I've never met or spoken to them.  The house is looked after by a Thai agent - a girlfriend of the Brit's wife.

Occasionally I've paid the rent a few days late, simply because the days run away from me and despite having a reminder on my Outlook, just forget to get around to it.  Never has the woman contacted me to complain.

Once I even missed a month because I had a "grey" moment and just thought I'd done it.  It wasn't until the following month's due date that I realised. I called the woman to apologise for my forgetfulness - her response was "no pompem".

Had several issues with the house such as a knackered A/C unit, knackered water pump, and faulty alarm system.  On all occasions the issues have been fixed on the same day or the following day.

Somehow I don't think I'd like the OP as a Landlord.  But then, maybe he wouldn't like me as a tenant.  thumbsup.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

it's not the same thing at all. his wife owns the house and she can manage it. 

If the wife is not doing a good thing he can get involved its not like this is a business (unless you got multiple houses rented out). If my gf needs to make a calculation and she is not good at it I help her too. No harm foul. Some people are just not good at getting others back in line. If you have someone who is always late they need to be kept on a short leash. You loose money otherwise. 

If someone is late once.. different story it can happen but people who are always late. I bet you would not like it if your salary / pension was paid late all the time even though agreed otherwise.

I rent a house from an English bloke and his Thai wife.  They are living in the UK and I've never met or spoken to them.  The house is looked after by a Thai agent - a girlfriend of the Brit's wife.

Occasionally I've paid the rent a few days late, simply because the days run away from me and despite having a reminder on my Outlook, just forget to get around to it.  Never has the woman contacted me to complain.

Once I even missed a month because I had a "grey" moment and just thought I'd done it.  It wasn't until the following month's due date that I realised. I called the woman to apologise for my forgetfulness - her response was "no pompem".

Had several issues with the house such as a knackered A/C unit, knackered water pump, and faulty alarm system.  On all occasions the issues have been fixed on the same day or the following day.

Somehow I don't think I'd like the OP as a Landlord.  But then, maybe he wouldn't like me as a tenant.  thumbsup.gif

Guess I would not want a guy like you as a client. It gets quite annoying having to go after late paying clients all the time. I would not worry about a few days but if its consistent and dates being stretched further and further id get pretty pissed off. I got more then a few clients like that and it takes time. Guess most people here never operated a business (not that I am saying that renting out is a business in this case)

Guess I would not want a guy like you as a client. It gets quite annoying having to go after late paying clients all the time. I would not worry about a few days but if its consistent and dates being stretched further and further id get pretty pissed off. I got more then a few clients like that and it takes time. Guess most people here never operated a business (not that I am saying that renting out is a business in this case)

and yet you equate his detractors with being unable to operate a business!! lol

Amazing how many post support the dead beat behavior of the renter. Is this what the expat community has become? A bunch of spineless deadbeats feeling entitled with no concept of the meaning of honor or self respect.

nobody supported the renter. they also did not support the meddling husband who seems to know as little as you about dealing with situations like this in thailand.

Of course i equate it.. its just a matter of scale.. obviously that goes way over your head. I bet you never operated a company yourself. Its not a big problem if someone is late, its more the uncertainty if they are going to pay or not. Though even late payment can cause problems. I have seen many a topic here where a guy came crying because his SS payment did not come through on time. 

Amazing how many post support the dead beat behavior of the renter. Is this what the expat community has become? A bunch of spineless deadbeats feeling entitled with no concept of the meaning of honor or self respect.

Actually  not amazing considered the topics i see about forgetting about debts in the homeland and wondering if they can escape it here. There are a lot people here who live beyond their means and consider it ok to not uphold your end of a bargain and screwing people over because they think others have more money and feel entitled. Meanwhile spending all their money on girls and alcohol. 

There is a lot white trash here in Thailand who would not blink their eyes in screwing you over. Thank god there are also a lot of honest and good people. Id be rich if I could always tell the difference but looking through this topic i got a good idea who to avoid.

Of course i equate it.. its just a matter of scale.. obviously that goes way over your head. I bet you never operated a company yourself. Its not a big problem if someone is late, its more the uncertainty if they are going to pay or not. Though even late payment can cause problems. I have seen many a topic here where a guy came crying because his SS payment did not come through on time. 

then you wouldnt make a very good gambler either it seems! lol. there was no uncertainty about paying or not as far as the wife was concerned until the meddler got involved.

detractors with being unable to operate a business!! lol

then you wouldnt make a very good gambler either it seems! lol. there was no uncertainty about paying or not as far as the wife was concerned until the meddler got involved.

No I don't gamble.. but i take it you mean playing poker ? Because I fail to see the connection to horse races / buying lottery tickets and such. Next time just write what you mean.  Of course there was uncertainly about paying.. its only certain when its on your bank. 

I have called with clients.. yes tomorrow.. oh i forgot it only to end up in court (not my wish) and make them pay 5 times as much. You obviously have absolutely no experience with such things. There are quite a few people that always pay but there are always some that don't that you have to chase. Chasing money is not fun. 

But i guess you would not know probably a salary worker all your life.

No I don't gamble.. but i take it you mean playing poker ? Because I fail to see the connection to horse races / buying lottery tickets and such. Next time just write what you mean.  Of course there was uncertainly about paying.. its only certain when its on your bank. 

I have called with clients.. yes tomorrow.. oh i forgot it only to end up in court (not my wish) and make them pay 5 times as much. You obviously have absolutely no experience with such things. There are quite a few people that always pay but there are always some that don't that you have to chase. Chasing money is not fun. 

perhaps you should write what you mean instead of: " I bet you never operated a company yourself." lol. and you obviously have no experience with thai methods of getting things done. his wife had everything hand until he screwed it up.

perhaps you should write what you mean instead of: " I bet you never operated a company yourself." lol. and you obviously have no experience with thai methods of getting things done. his wife had everything hand until he screwed it up.

Affraid to awnser.. so i take it your a wage worker all of your life with no experience here and yet you think you know something.

His wife did NOT have it under control , if she had the money would be on the bank on the contract date. He helped his wife out knowing more then you. If your not on top of these things you loose money. People who are self employed know of such things. Heck there are loads things written about debt management and you as someone with no hands on experience seems to know it all cheesy.gif

You are basing your whole point of view on that it would have been paid while there is NO evidence of that at all. As long as it has not been paid its a debt and you need to chase it once its overdue. 

Affraid to awnser.. so i take it your a wage worker all of your life with no experience here and yet you think you know something.

His wife did NOT have it under control , if she had the money would be on the bank on the contract date. He helped his wife out knowing more then you. If your not on top of these things you loose money. People who are self employed know of such things. Heck there are loads things written about debt management and you as someone with no hands on experience seems to know it all cheesy.gif

You are basing your whole point of view on that it would have been paid while there is NO evidence of that at all. As long as it has not been paid its a debt and you need to chase it once its overdue. 

wrong again. there is no evidence it wouldnt be paid as it always had been. she knew what she was doing. and you know nothing of my experience in contract administration so spare me your childish assumptions.