All about the money...

SoFarAndNear

Had many tenants and lent more money than I should over the years.  Both are unpleasant experiences in more cases than not.  Contracts are only pieces of paper that are possibly read once at signing.  As time passes the borrowers and tenants mentally reconstruct the contract  in a manner that is more advantageous to them. For example, 9/10 tenants will at least attempt to use their security deposit to pay their last months rent, electricity...

My advice to the OP is to try to work with the tenant with the goal of getting her out of your home.  Have your wife tell her that you would like to move back in and would compensate them for the inconvenience.  I would gladly forfeit one to two months rent to get them out.  They save face and you do also.  Being legally right means nothing if you loose your mind in the process as well money.

Angry tenants can become extremely vindictive.  I had a tenant 10 years ago thrash my place because I bothered her about paying rent that was over 30 days late.  Funny thing, in her mind I'm sure her actions were justified.  

• Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had many tenants and lent more money than I should over the years.  Both are unpleasant experiences in more cases than not.  Contracts are only pieces of paper that are possibly read once at signing.  As time passes the borrowers and tenants mentally reconstruct the contract  in a manner that is more advantageous to them. For example, 9/10 tenants will at least attempt to use their security deposit to pay their last months rent, electricity...

My advice to the OP is to try to work with the tenant with the goal of getting her out of your home.  Have your wife tell her that you would like to move back in and would compensate them for the inconvenience.  I would gladly forfeit one to two months rent to get them out.  They save face and you do also.  Being legally right means nothing if you loose your mind in the process as well money.

Angry tenants can become extremely vindictive.  I had a tenant 10 years ago thrash my place because I bothered her about paying rent that was over 30 days late.  Funny thing, in her mind I'm sure her actions were justified.  

a landlord i knew slightly was walking up the front walk to have it out with a bad tenant and got a load of 12 gauge shot in the chest for his trouble.

In my rental agreement I should pay btween the 1st and 5th every month. And it also say that I have to pay an extra fee if I'm late. The other contracts that I have had before where similar. Always have to pay extra if I was late

Ok now for the harsh cold reality. I have advised many an unhappy tenant. My advice has always been just stop paying the rent as it can take a landlord six months to a year to evict you through the thai court system. The advice works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand Edited by asean
  • Like 1

Jai yen.....

I know very little Thai and am trying to learn.  Could you and other posters put the English meaning in parenthesis if it's not too much trouble.  Thanks

Heart cold.

Means =  calmdown.png

More like "Cool Heart" (literally cold heart, but that means something else in English of course!) - and, as you say, "calm Down" or "Keep cool" (depending on tense/context).

Jai yen.....

I know very little Thai and am trying to learn.  Could you and other posters put the English meaning in parenthesis if it's not too much trouble.  Thanks

Heart cold.

Means =  calmdown.png

More like "Cool Heart" (literally cold heart, but that means something else in English of course!) - and, as you say, "calm Down" or "Keep cool" (depending on tense/context).

or jai yen= patience

Ok now for the harsh cold reality. I have advised many an unhappy tenant. My advice has always been just stop paying the rent as it can take a landlord six months to a year to evict you through the thai court system. The advice works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I have heard the landlords find ways of getting trouble tenants out much faster - such as cutting off the water/electricity or digging up the driveway. Entering the property and removing furniture (I had a friend who got home after a two day road trip to find the landlord of his furnish house had taken the beds away - and he was up to date rent wise - the guy just needed to furnish another place to rent it!). Or even more unsavoury methods - easy against foreigners too (as we trust the cops to sort in our favour even less than the Thais do). 

• Like 1

Heart cold.

Means =  calmdown.png

or jai yen= patience

In the right context yes (as I said). Why did you delete my post?

Heart cold.

Means =  calmdown.png

or jai yen= patience

how would I delete your post?

or jai yen= patience

how would I delete your post?

In the quote obviously. See above, see the box entitled Wolf5370, see no text in that box. Deleted quote of post. Don't worry I'm not upset about it, just wondered why.

In the quote obviously. See above, see the box entitled Wolf5370, see no text in that box. Deleted quote of post. Don't worry I'm not upset about it, just wondered why.

i didnt delete anything

Sorry, it seems my post has become merged with Aurthurwait's (the comment at the bottom). Don't know how that happened (I didn't put it in his post/quote), but there you have it. I humbly take my question and apologise. 

A rental contract should always include the following statements:

1. The tenant agrees to pay on the 1st day of the month.
  2. The tenant agrees to pay an additional fee of 15% of the rent due should the rent be paid late.
  3. The tenant agrees not to make his/her problems the problem of the landlord.

If the tenant comes up with a lame excuse that their paycheck is late, or that substantial car repairs were necessary, or any other creative BS, the landlord should have the tenant read aloud clause #3.

Edited by Gumballl

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=reputation&do=add_rating&app_rate=forums&type=pid&type_id=8213477&rating=1&secure_key=7c15b5a1fff9c58fd055c4dca71037c5&post_return=8213477

And the good news in Thailand a landlord can do just about anything they please to evict a deadbeat tenant such as turn off water turn off electricity remove front door etc...,

Post 73 above is correct but doing as advised has little chance of resolving the issue of a tenant not paying.  Without even reading a contract most tenants are already aware of all three conditions stated and they have obviously disregarded them.  

As for post 74, this is an option but the consequences of turning off the water, elec... will probably make the situation much worse.  Landlords should not try to win the battle at all costs but in lieu minimize losses caused by bad tenants. So many variables and so many answers...

• Like 1

Affraid to awnser.. so i take it your a wage worker all of your life with no experience here and yet you think you know something.

His wife did NOT have it under control , if she had the money would be on the bank on the contract date. He helped his wife out knowing more then you. If your not on top of these things you loose money. People who are self employed know of such things. Heck there are loads things written about debt management and you as someone with no hands on experience seems to know it all cheesy.gif

You are basing your whole point of view on that it would have been paid while there is NO evidence of that at all. As long as it has not been paid its a debt and you need to chase it once its overdue. 

wrong again. there is no evidence it wouldnt be paid as it always had been. she knew what she was doing. and you know nothing of my experience in contract administration so spare me your childish assumptions.

I am not wrong.. only when money is paid the debt is secure.. tiresome those wage workers who think they know anything about debt management and debt collection. I bet you would be crying when your company was a week late with your salary going to strike and such though you expect others to accept breach of contract so easy.

Affraid to awnser.. so i take it your a wage worker all of your life with no experience here and yet you think you know something.

His wife did NOT have it under control , if she had the money would be on the bank on the contract date. He helped his wife out knowing more then you. If your not on top of these things you loose money. People who are self employed know of such things. Heck there are loads things written about debt management and you as someone with no hands on experience seems to know it all cheesy.gif

You are basing your whole point of view on that it would have been paid while there is NO evidence of that at all. As long as it has not been paid its a debt and you need to chase it once its overdue. 

wrong again. there is no evidence it wouldnt be paid as it always had been. she knew what she was doing. and you know nothing of my experience in contract administration so spare me your childish assumptions.

I am not wrong.. only when money is paid the debt is secure.. tiresome those wage workers who think they know anything about debt management and debt collection. I bet you would be crying when your company was a week late with your salary going to strike and such though you expect others to accept breach of contract so easy.

you are wrong. its a poor businessman who doesnt understand the market he operates in. ans save your simplistic assumptions. they are not only tiresome, they make you look silly.

you are wrong. its a poor businessman who doesnt understand the market he operates in. ans save your simplistic assumptions. they are not only tiresome, they make you look silly.

cheesy.gif  Says the wage earner who never had a business. God don't you love those couch experts without experience in the field. 

A debt is paid only when you got the money on your bank. Promises are often not kept and this person changed the rules of the contract and kept paying late and trying to delay it all the time. 

Good businessmen make sure their debtors pay and make sure their cash flow is ok. You never told me how many years of experience you have in getting money from debtors. Oh .. i forgot .. none.

• Like 1

Says the wage earner who never had a business. God don't you love those couch experts without experience in the field. 

A debt is paid only when you got the money on ycheesy.gifour bank. Promises are often not kept and this person changed the rules of the contract and kept paying late and trying to delay it all the time. 

Good businessmen make sure their debtors pay and make sure their cash flow is ok. You never told me how many years of experience you have in getting money from debtors. Oh .. i forgot .. none.

Lol! childish ridicule and silly emoticons! lol! if your instinct for business is no better than your instinct for estimating the experience and qualifications of those you come in contact with, I wont be buying any stock in your chickensh*t company!! lol

Says the wage earner who never had a business. God don't you love those couch experts without experience in the field. 

A debt is paid only when you got the money on ycheesy.gifour bank. Promises are often not kept and this person changed the rules of the contract and kept paying late and trying to delay it all the time. 

Lol! childish ridicule and silly emoticons! lol! if your instinct for business is no better than your instinct for estimating the experience and qualifications of those you come in contact with, I wont be buying any stock in your chickensh*t company!! lol

cheesy.gif

Again it shows that you totally have no experience in business. Many companies don't have stock, others that do have stock are not available on the open market. Only the real big players can be bought on the market. How much more do I need to expose you for someone who has absolutely no knowledge about business.

cheesy.gif

Again it shows that you totally have no experience in business. Many companies don't have stock, others that do have stock are not available on the open market. Only the real big players can be bought on the market. How much more do I need to expose you for someone who has absolutely no knowledge about business.

lol! your assumptions about my ability to place capital are just further proof of my comments! lol

cheesy.gif

lol! your assumptions about my ability to place capital are just further proof of my comments! lol

I made no comment about your wealth or ability to buy stock. I merely explained something everyone with basic business knowledge knows that most companies stock are not available to buy on the market. Your assumption that you would be able to buy my stock is crazy as that would mean I would have a huge company that trades on the stock exchange while maybe 90% or more of the companies don't trade on the stock exchange. 

A little knowledge goes a long way and it shows a lot about you. You absolutely don't know the first thing about business and still you think you can give others advice about debt management. 

Stuff like his wife took care of it while its only taken care once the money is on the bank and not before. Then its taken care of, and this debtor had a history of reluctance to pay on time. 

I made no comment about your wealth or ability to buy stock. I merely explained something everyone with basic business knowledge knows that most companies stock are not available to buy on the market. Your assumption that you would be able to buy my stock is crazy as that would mean I would have a huge company that trades on the stock exchange while maybe 90% or more of the companies don't trade on the stock exchange. 

A little knowledge goes a long way and it shows a lot about you. You absolutely don't know the first thing about business and still you think you can give others advice about debt management. 

Stuff like his wife took care of it while its only taken care once the money is on the bank and not before. Then its taken care of, and this debtor had a history of reluctance to pay on time. 

who said anything about buying on an exchange? his wife will take care of it

Speaking for myself and only myself, I'd regroup.    

I'd let the renter know I'm giving a great bargain and redo the contract.  

Firstly, I'd start a new contract with a date starting a day after  the latest date the renter paid previously.

Then I'd let them know I'm eating the lost two +  weeks of lost rent  as I'd hope I'm not that desperate for cash.

Finally I'm put a significant late payment penalty clause in the contract.