Tourist arrivals in Thailand drop 10.47 percent to 13.6 million in seven months

webfact

Tourist arrivals drop 10.47 percent to 13.6 million in seven months

249746-imagejpeg-386597-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Tourist arrivals for the seven months of this year dropped by 10.47 percent to 13.6 million compared to 14 million for the same period last year largely due to political instability, said Mr Anuparb Kasensuwan, director-general of Tourism Department, on Tuesday.

Revenue from tourism for the same period dropped by 8 percent to 630 billion baht, he said, adding however that he expected tourism would register growth for the first time this year in October with tourist arrivals returning to normal during the fourth quarter due to continuing tourism promotion.

Since the May 22 coup, Mr Anuparb claimed that tourism situation began to improve steadily with 1.9 million arrivals in July alone which represented a drop of 10.92 percent compared to the lowest point of decline at 24.37 percent.

Chinese tourists represented the biggest arrivals during the seven months of this year with 2.2 million arrivals or a decline by 21.19 percent; 1.04 million Malaysians or a drop by 18.91 percent; 1.02 million Russians.

(Photo : ThaiPBS file)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tourist-arrivals-drop-10-47-percent-13-6-million-seven-months/

[thaipbs]2014-08-06[/thaipbs]

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chinese tourist are not big spender. They came for free tour, free food, free bus, free concert, free protest. They visit places like public park, chiang mai uni etc that pay no entrance fee. Some even paid to come under the Zero Baht Tour scheme organised by shopping gang who make money out of them thru the sales of fake gems and fake bird nest and have Sex with fake ladies.

Don't forget, to boost the fake numbers.

Is there anyone on here that actually owns a business and can contribute first hand. This year is busier than last and the year befor that. Yes a 6 week cool period after Songran as per norm which was a little extended due to the curfew.

• Like 1

"he expected tourism would register growth for the first time this year in October with tourist arrivals returning"

No shit sherlock, its the start of summer season of course its going to pick up,,,,  clap2.gif Genius 

As others have said.....those figures dont make sense dont add up and why should I be surprised....The man on the street can tell you if its busy or not and certainly

when I came through swampy the other month it was dead....They need to clean up so much for sure but they cant expect no effects of that policy..and I think the end of year figures 'IF' given honestly will show further massive drops....Russia travel is knackered due to sanctions so there out too... 

expect further drops now all the 14/30 day border runs are almost gone...maybe TAT will finally show the real tourism numbers

No reason to even consider that possibility. And bear in mind, these numbers include all border bounces, all visa runs, and who knows what else? Are we certain they do not include business visas? What about transit passengers? My guess is the visitor numbers here are about as accurate as the unemployment figures in the US. The word fudging comes to mind.

Spidermike
Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

More spinning, according to Bloomberg the tourist arrivals for July dropped YoY with 24%, which represent a downward trend not an improvement.

I'm collection information about this. Can you give me a link to this

Regards

I couldn't find the article on Yahoo news again but here are others: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/tourist-arrivals, http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism.asp. The source in the original article was BoT and was prelim for July 2014.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Chinese tourist are not big spender. They came for free tour, free food, free bus, free concert, free protest. They visit places like public park, chiang mai uni etc that pay no entrance fee. Some even paid to come under the Zero Baht Tour scheme organised by shopping gang who make money out of them thru the sales of fake gems and fake bird nest and have Sex with fake ladies.

Chinese tourists represented the biggest arrivals during the seven months of this year with 2.2 million arrivals or a decline by 21.19 percent; 1.04 million Malaysians or a drop by 18.91 percent; 1.02 million Russians

Thailand is going to find that an influx of Chinese tourist will not cover the income generated by foreigner tourists not belonging to Asia. 

Their increase in arrivals would not affect the tourism industry other than airline sales and hotel bookings with which both are probably taking a loss with their promotions. Chinese tourist groups walk around taking pictures. They don't stop for a beer at a watering hole. They don't buy knickknacks and look for the cheapest products they can get. Not exactly generating income for anyone. Then there is there rudeness, aggressive nature and loud speech. All of these equals the best in a tourist any country would be looking for their tourism industry

While I personally dislike the Chinese tourists as well, I think that some of you have allowed your prejudice and bias to blind you to other facts.

The "real" Western tourist tends to come on an FIT basis, staying in maybe 3,4 or 5 stars hotel. They spend money on some shopping and F&B of course but also a lot of their time lying by the pool or on the beach. So primarily, they benefit some hotels and some pubs, which I would imagine are mostly owned by "foreign" parties.

Chinese tourists on the other hand come in tour groups. As such, they require the services of an inbound ground operator - Thai owned. They require the services of tour coaches - Thai owned. They visit "attractions" like the Pattaya Floating market (Thb 200 entrance per person) or Mimosa (Thb 150 entrance per person) - both Thai owned. They eat at local and roadside restaurants - Thai owned. They go for massages and soapies - Thai owned.

See the whole picture?

I can also tell you for a fact that Chinese tourists to Europe today constitutes the biggest spending in many places, including LV, Printemps, Galleries Lafeyette in Paris, diamonds in Amsterdam etc etc.

Don't be so quick to pass judgement based on your lack or experience and knowledge of such matters.

My wife and i poped into the floating market some time ago ,while i was in the toilet ,the attendant told my wife that she hated the Chinese tourists ,if they were not trying to go to the loo for a reduced price they were trying to sneak in ,quality tourists ,my arse.

• Like 1

While I personally dislike the Chinese tourists as well, I think that some of you have allowed your prejudice and bias to blind you to other facts.

The "real" Western tourist tends to come on an FIT basis, staying in maybe 3,4 or 5 stars hotel. They spend money on some shopping and F&B of course but also a lot of their time lying by the pool or on the beach. So primarily, they benefit some hotels and some pubs, which I would imagine are mostly owned by "foreign" parties.

Chinese tourists on the other hand come in tour groups. As such, they require the services of an inbound ground operator - Thai owned. They require the services of tour coaches - Thai owned. They visit "attractions" like the Pattaya Floating market (Thb 200 entrance per person) or Mimosa (Thb 150 entrance per person) - both Thai owned. They eat at local and roadside restaurants - Thai owned. They go for massages and soapies - Thai owned.

See the whole picture?

I can also tell you for a fact that Chinese tourists to Europe today constitutes the biggest spending in many places, including LV, Printemps, Galleries Lafeyette in Paris, diamonds in Amsterdam etc etc.

Don't be so quick to pass judgement based on your lack or experience and knowledge of such matters.

My wife and i poped into the floating market some time ago ,while i was in the toilet ,the attendant told my wife that she hated the Chinese tourists ,if they were not trying to go to the loo for a reduced price they were trying to sneak in ,quality tourists ,my arse.

I made no mention of quality anywhere in my post. This is all about business, money spent. One Western tourist may spend three times more than a Chinese tourist but when there are 10 times more Chinese tourists than Western tourists .... do your maths.

• Like 1

Good luck with the Chinese Tourists , Me and the missus were being "Shown" to our Breakfast table , seat pulled out by the waitress when some Chinese bird with a plate loaded with food dived into the seat and nicked the table. My missus and the waitress were stunned , I worked in the PRC for a couple of years so am not surprised by their antics
  • Like 2

Sounds good to me....where do I sign up?

• Like 1

Just got back from a 9 day holiday in Thailand.  Four days Hua Hin and 5 days Bangkok.

From the street crowds at the night market in Hua Hin it certainly did not look like a down trend, and neither did the area from Bumrungrad to Nana or at Asok/Sukhumvit.  Both were very crowded.

On the other hand, booking hotels through Latestays . com or agoda, almost 99%of the hotels were available for late bookings at reduced rates.

The flight in was 100% full and out probably 90% full.

• Like 1