Visa Extension

Hi I am from Australia, on a Non Immigrant O M Visa (temporary retirement) and it will end at the beginning of September. I haven't been in Thailand for the full year as travelled elsewhere for  5 months. I would like to extend just for one more month however when I ring immigration they tell me I can only extend for 7 days. If I left Thailand for a few days and returned, would I be permitted to receive the one month free tourist visa or is it now 15 days. I don't want to risk trouble at a border and I only need one month  more in Thailand.

Thanks

Immigration will only give you 7 days.

Leave and return and you will get 15 days.

Maybe you should get a Tourist Visa from a Thai Consulate and get 60 days.

BTW if you leave and return just before the actual Visa expires you will get another 90 days.

• Like 1

If you do an entry just before your visa expires (enter before date on the visa sticker) you can get another 90 day entry.

Edit: If your visa has expired and you only get a 15 day entry you will be able to get a 30 day extension at immigration on or after Aug. 29th.

• Like 1

Thanks so this means I must leave Thailand, go to immigration somewhere, spend a few days and then I can return to Thailand? However it also means that I can't get a tourist visa from immigration inside Thailand (Chiang Mai)

What is a "non-Immigrant O M visa"? This is a new one on me!

Or does the "M" mean that we're talking about a multi-entry non-O visa here?

On the visa sticker in space for entries they put an M for multiple and S for single.

Thanks so this means I must leave Thailand, go to immigration somewhere, spend a few days and then I can return to Thailand? However it also means that I can't get a tourist visa from immigration inside Thailand (Chiang Mai)

Is it September that your visa expires (enter before date on sticker) or your permuted to stay date you got on entry.

If your enter before date is in September you can leave and re-enter and get a new 90 day entry. You can leave and re-enter on the same date you go out.

If you visa has already expired you can do a border crossing leave and re-enter getting a 15 day entry that you can extend it for 30 days at immigration here ( new rule that starts on Aug..29th)

It's a one year, multiple entry, sort of retirement

Do you mean a Non-Imm O-A  or a Non-Imm O??

"sort of retirement" ??  The O-A is sometimes called a retirement visa?

What does "sort of retirement" or "temporary retirement" mean?

If you want to retire here why not apply for an extension of stay based on retirement.

Edited by Suradit69

Is it September that your visa expires (enter before date on sticker) or your permuted to stay date you got on entry.

If your enter before date is in September you can leave and re-enter and get a new 90 day entry. You can leave and re-enter on the same date you go out.

If you visa has already expired you can do a border crossing leave and re-enter getting a 15 day entry that you can extend it for 30 days at immigration here ( new rule that starts on Aug..29th)

"your permuted to stay date"

Permission to stay, maybe ??biggrin.png

Hi, yes it is very early September that my visa expires. It is a multiple entry.

What I am trying to figure out is, must I go to immigration outside of Thailand to get a one month or 90 day visa, ( I only need to stay one month extra)

or

can I get a 90 day visa (or one month visa) at a border, Mae Sai for example, just before my visa runs out?

Probably not, I would assume I would have to go to immigration in either Malaysia or Laos....am I be correct?

Hi, yes it is very early September that my visa expires. It is a multiple entry.

What I am trying to figure out is, must I go to immigration outside of Thailand to get a one month or 90 day visa, ( I only need to stay one month extra)

or

can I get a 90 day visa (or one month visa) at a border, Mae Sai for example, just before my visa runs out?

Probably not, I would assume I would have to go to immigration in either Malaysia or Laos....am I be correct?

Before the "enter before" date on your visa, you enter the country. You will be allowed to stay 90 days.

My visa is a Non Immigrant O M (multiple entry), .. enter before 2nd September.

I left for 5 months and returned on June 8th 2014, overland through Mae Sai...so the stamp says until 5th September.2014..don't know which date to follow! It is a one year visa.

I have to return for a little while back to Australia by beginning October.

As mentioned before you need to leave and re-enter before 2/9 to be allowed 90 days.

After that you will get 30 days visa exempt, or a new visa.

Edited by paz

I left for 5 months and returned on June 8th 2014, overland through Mae Sai...so the stamp says until 5th September.2014..don't know which date to follow! It is a one year visa.

leave before sept 1, come back in on or before sept 1 and you will get another 90 days.

Edited by AYJAYDEE

You just cross the border at Mae Sai and return prior to September 2nd and you will get another 90 days entry. 

There are no Thai immigration offices outside of Thailand.; There are Thai  embassies and consulates.