Got my yellow tabien baan (house book for farang) today

Hi do you have to be married to get this yellow book?

Certified by embassy I was not asked for in Pathumthani,

We have lived together for 20+ years and I have 4 old passports that have all used this address and all passport were issued in Thailand and I have only left Thailand for 3 times over this time period. For all my passports I have had work permits.

Thanks

Did mine in Pattaya, not married, two Thai witnesses from my village with their blue books, passport translated by legal service in Pattaya (400 baht) paid 100baht at Amphur for "services" total cost 500 baht, all done in one day,collected the book two weeks later due to holidays.

What are the benefits of having a yellow tabien baan?

As varied as is the process of getting one

Some DLT's will recognize them as proof of address for a 5 year license and to purchase a motor vehicle, some won't (there are posts here that state the Pataya will no longer accept them)

Some Amphurs will accept them as proof of address for Thai medical insurance, some won't

Most Immigration offices will accept it a proof of address for extension of stay, some won't

There is a thread here that attempts to lists the benefits but like most soon devolves into off topic thread, try a search

I cant see any advantage whatsoever having this yellow book. I have been here for 15 years on a retirement visa, I have several Thai Bank accounts, on line banking and on line trading and a driving licence etc. Never needed any such document. Anyone can get one so there is nothing special about it.

• Like 1

I cant see any advantage whatsoever having this yellow book. I have been here for 15 years on a retirement visa, I have several Thai Bank accounts, on line banking and on line trading and a driving licence etc. Never needed any such document. Anyone can get one so there is nothing special about it.

To get the 2 DL's I had to have certificate of residence (2). Immigration is 100km away. Also had to get another 2 for registering my 2 bikes.

The first 2 immigration Udon ripped me for 600 baht. The second trip I got them for free. They are supposed to be free but the fist bunch wanted a tip I suppose.

It is the 200 km that bothers me most.

• Like 1

Thanks

But your list probably won't help many people because every Amphoe seems to have their own requirements.

When i went to my Amphur to ask for the requirements, I got a list almost similar as the OP.

The very next day I went back to the Amphur, gave them a translation of my passport done by the translator in Soi post office for 200 Bht, a certificate of residence for a second hand car that I hadn't used yet and a few pictures and was told to pick up mu yellow book in 7 days time biggrin.png

Agreed.

It's the most worthless piece of prattle ever to grace the deep dark back corner of a drawer somewhere. Save your time and energy and ignore it.

'nuff said

~

• Like 1

Agreed.

It's the most worthless piece of prattle ever to grace the deep dark back corner of a drawer somewhere. Save your time and energy and ignore it.

I don't agree. It has been useful to me many times for opening bank accounts. When they ask whether I have a work permit, I say no, I don't need to work (and am prohibited to whilst on a tourist visa). I then show them my tabien baan. Things proceed smoothly after that.

Anyone can get one so there is nothing special about it.

Anyone? I tried to get one at Pattaya, about 5 years ago, and failed. sad.png

I had all papers from my condo, but it was a new list of documents asked at each visit

until they make me understand that without a Thai wife I would not get one...

Blue book: ok, Yellow book: niet!

Looks like thing may have changed reading post #4 above by JohnC.

"Some Amphurs will accept them as proof of address for Thai medical insurance, some won't "

Can you explain about the Thai medical insurance you mentioned?

Thanks

Do a search and you will find that some individuals have been erroneously enrolled in the 30 Baht health scheme by some Amphurs

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if it is possible to have the address changed in one of these! I am in Chiang Mai now.

No, Yellow Book is by the residence, not the person, so if you have moved then you must apply for it at the new residence

Going through the process at the moment at Nongprue Office in Pattaya. Required...

Passport picture page translated by local translator

Copies of visa/extension/ arrival card

Parents names translated

Wife with blue book and id

Witness with blue book and id

First visit my wife and witness were questioned with loads of notes taken - they didn't appear to want to deal with me at all! Told to come back a week later.

Second visit still with witness in tow was for signing loads of paperwork that had been prepared - took minutes and told we would be called in 4 weeks when done.

3 weeks later had phone call to come back in with witness and had to sign all the paperwork again as they got it wrong the first time. Told to expect a call in a week to go and collect now.

Not sure how useful it will be to have but seemed like something that is better to have than not - you never know what changes might come in the future that make them harder to get or more things it can be used for.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

klauskunkel congratulations on getting your yellow-book! Your OP is a good outline for other applicants.

I got mine yesterday.

FWIW my procedure went as follows:

I read all the posts here on TV about the subject first. It seemed the consensus of all the threads here on TV is that each Amphur has its own manager and interpretation of the rules. One needs to go to the Amphur and ask for their requirements.

I went on Wednesday to The Amphur with all the required documents, everything except my wife. I spoke to the manager and explained that I didn't expect to get the yellow-book right then and there, I only wanted to review my documentation to check if it was sufficient.

I was asked for a translation of my passport. I explained that I had been married in the same Amphur and that I'd also registered my children's births there. After a 15 minute conversation with the manager on many topics that had nothing to do with the yellow-book he decided a new translation was not required. My name is clearly written in Thai on the birth certificates and marriage certificate.

No witnesses were required as several of the staff in the Amphur know of me. I offered to have the Gamnan witness for me and was told it was not necessary.

I took my wife back on Thursday and we waited patiently for two hours while the manager chatted with some of his friends at his desk. That was the most difficult part.

He interviewed my wife and I again on many subjects, my history, her history, our history together and what I have been doing in Thailand. He took notes, printed them out and we both had to sign.

He issued the yellow-book on the spot, and also a new fresh blue-book for my wife as the old one was tattered. The interview and the time it took him to issue both books took about an hour.

Fee = zero baht

Tea-money = zero baht

Plenty of smiles and wais on our way out the door.

Edited by 96tehtarp

Agreed I only got one in order to apply for citizenship, its a requirement; other than that never taken it of my safe...

• 4 months later...

To get the 2 DL's I had to have certificate of residence (2). Immigration is 100km away. Also had to get another 2 for registering my 2 bikes.

The first 2 immigration Udon ripped me for 600 baht. The second trip I got them for free. They are supposed to be free but the fist bunch wanted a tip I suppose.

It is the 200 km that bothers me most.

Try the local police station they will do it for free usually. Remember the letter is only valid for 28 days.

• 1 year later...

Agreed.

I don't agree. It has been useful to me many times for opening bank accounts. When they ask whether I have a work permit, I say no, I don't need to work (and am prohibited to whilst on a tourist visa). I then show them my tabien baan. Things proceed smoothly after that.

I posted this in another forum. Two of the banks required the Tabien Baan or no deal.

Well I have to report mixed responses from the three banks I tried to open account with.

1. LH Bank 2.25% 12 months

at first they refused because I didn't have a Thai driving license. They then relented and asked me proof of residency. I went and got my original chanote and also the Juristic person at the condo complex gave me a stamped and signed letter. Again That was refused and they asked me proof from the UK embassy. After contacting the embassy they told me it would be better to get a letter from the immigration. Managed to get the said letter and that was finally accepted. What a chew on.

2. GSB Government Savings Bank 2.25% 36 months.

They asked my work permit. I told them I was retired. The lady disappeared and brought back a paper which stipulated the requirement. Which was Passport and proof of residence. I showed her the chanote the letter from Immigration and the Juristic. She disappears and comes back and tells me I have to show Tabien Baan. OK I got one of those (blue book) which I got with the package when I bought my condo. She disappears again and when she comes back it was "Can Not" Your name not in book. You have to put name in book. I tried to explain that proof of residence is obvious as my name appears on the back of my Chanote. "Can Not" I gave up.

3. CIMB

Exactly the same as above and again I gave up.

Now I know that I cannot get my name in the blue book as it is for Thai only. I do know there is a yellow book for farang but I have no idea where to get that done.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

• 2 months later...

To make things easyer and less complicated, my Thai friends supported me to get the Yellow Tabien Baan at the district Amphoe.

It tooked less then 2 hours to complete all the forms and run the program in the office to print the Tabien Baan...

One more happy person in Thailand now.. Me...

No more need for a new residence certificate... no more hassle to get things going by my self...

Next step a ID card for Farang, it takes away the need to carry your passport in the same province as where you live...

It all boil's down to the point that Thailand can be very friendly towards friendly farang,

To make things easyer and less complicated, my Thai friends supported me to get the Yellow Tabien Baan at the district Amphoe.

It tooked less then 2 hours to complete all the forms and run the program in the office to print the Tabien Baan...

One more happy person in Thailand now.. Me...

No more need for a new residence certificate... no more hassle to get things going by my self...

Next step a ID card for Farang, it takes away the need to carry your passport in the same province as where you live...

It all boil's down to the point that Thailand can be very friendly towards friendly farang,

Where ?