Luggage tampering

damo

Mate, it's a great tip and a reality check.

When I bought some new luggage a few years ago, the saleslady gave me a heads up about that trick.

She also mentioned that there is a new style zip which you can't do that trick to ... but that style was close to twice the price of the one I eventually bought.

White cuffs, coloured shirt is just so 1980s (gawdawful).

Yup, it's incredibly easy to open and re-close most bags. That combined with x-rays so the baddies can see the bags worth opening means one should never put anything valuable in checked bags.

I do have my portable hard drive in checked, to keep it separate from my PC which is in carry-on, I couldn't afford to lose both.

• Like 1

HaHa, I saw those french cuffs and thought the same.

I worry most about criminals putting contraband in my luggage. You can take my possessions, they can be replaced but if I'm found to have drugs like heroin the I can lose my freedom and that doesn't have a price tag.

Scary shit.

I'd love to hear of any ideas how I can protect my luggage.

• Like 2

I worry most about criminals putting contraband in my luggage. You can take my possessions, they can be replaced but if I'm found to have drugs like heroin the I can lose my freedom and that doesn't have a price tag.

Scary shit.

By not using that type of luggage, plenty of hard suitcases that do the job, alternatively let your bag be wrapped. There are wrapping services at airports.

(for the record i send this to my mom as she is crazy about locks I told them they are pointless... that will stir things up)

+1 on baggage wrapping services; available at Suvarnabhumi at Departures door 4 or 5, can't remember which.

Not 100% secure but close to it as it would really take some time and effort to cut through. Making your bag much more inconvenient to tamper with than the next bag is the name of the game.

if you lock the zipping mechanism to one place on the bag, one can not move it to reseal the bag and problem is solved, too

That only solves the detection problem, it wont stop people getting into it.

Edited by robblok

if you lock the zipping mechanism to one place on the bag, one can not move it to reseal the bag and problem is solved, too

That only solves the detection problem, it wont stop people getting into it.

well, but in such case they can directly cut the bag open with a knife so the real issue is to stay undetected (no one working at the airport/hotel will risk opening your bag this way since he/she would be the top suspect)

Well I see a good little money earner for the man or lady who replaces zippered suitcases with a more secure alternative. Wouldn't be hard, something like a Pelican case but fashionable.

• Thanks 1

if you really need to prevent anyone getting inside (detected or undetected), you need to use a metal safety box instead of a suitcase smile.png

Some of the hard care suitcases offer far better protection as those zipper cloth ones. Still nothing is fail safe.

Or buy suitcase locking strap. Not the best deterrent but you will know if someone has tampered with your luggage.

Prices range from £1 (pound shop) upwards to about £20. Various ones on e-bay and such or hiking / outdoor shops.

I only check in my Rimowa luggage. No zippers!attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1407414165.095795.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yeah - but unfortunately only the aluminium type. The light plastic types have zippers.

But anyway: had some problems to open my TSR lock, stopped by at gas station, borrowed some pliers: 15 seconds and I had cracked it ...

• Like 2

I like the wrapping, can see instantly if its been tampered and is in my opinion an excellent cheap deterrent.

I always have my checked lugage shrinkwrapped plus I write my name on 2 sides with permanent marker (big size) for easy recognition since more and more passengers

are having them wrapped.

yermanee wai.gif

Scary shit.

That's the one that worries me the most. I can't see the YT vid as our internet is ssssslow. The only way i think you can really secure your hold luggage is by getting it wrapped in that cling film before you check in

Scary shit.

That's the one that worries me the most. I can't see the YT vid as our internet is ssssslow. The only way i think you can really secure your hold luggage is by getting it wrapped in that cling film before you check in

Why would some criminal put kg's of heroin or whatever in your luggage after you have checked-in? Imagine it cost USD 50000 to buy. The crim's investment is now in some strangers luggage going to the other side of the world never to be seen again. How would they be sure to recover the heroin at the other end? They wouldn't , they have just lost the 50k investment. That's way it doesn't happen.

• Like 1

Scary shit.

Why would some criminal put kg's of heroin or whatever in your luggage after you have checked-in? Imagine it cost USD 50000 to buy. The crim's investment is now in some strangers luggage going to the other side of the world never to be seen again. How would they be sure to recover the heroin at the other end? They wouldn't , they have just lost the 50k investment. That's way it doesn't happen.

Phone in a "tip" that a passenger named "Smith" has drugs in his suitcase. This focuses the cops at the other end attention on you.....while big consignment comes in on the same flight hassle free. Happens all the time.

Consider yourself educated mate. Happy to help

• Like 2

Scary shit.

Phone in a "tip" that a passenger named "Smith" has drugs in his suitcase. This focuses the cops at the other end attention on you.....while big consignment comes in on the same flight hassle free. Happens all the time.

Consider yourself educated mate. Happy to help

I get your point but does this happen all the time as you never hear about it? Is it an urban myth? Are the custom guys so innocent that they get the tip and don't think this could be a diversion and then put double effort on everything else? You need baggage handlers in on it. There's cameras in the aircraft hold, baggage area, they have to know which bag is "smiths". They have to go through airport security with the drugs etc. not impossible but your need a professional gang.

The ones you do hear about are of some women befriended by a Nigerian guy who three weeks later says lets go holiday to Bangkok. He puts the gear in her bag she gets stopped and the guy says its nothing to do with him.

• Like 1

From now on I'm travelling in my boxer shorts with nothing but my passport and bank cards.....maybe a butt plug with a note from the medical practitioner and getting my jaw wired together before travel.....you can't be too careful!

I like the wrapping, can see instantly if its been tampered and is in my opinion an excellent cheap deterrent.

I like it as well Charlie and it protects the luggage from rain and damage en route to the aircraft hold and back.

Of course a lot of people having had a nice time in Thailand don't want to spend a few baht on wrapping so deserved whatever outcome.