Thais spend at least 7.2 hours per day using the Internet

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BS number,,,,,,,Thais with outside jobs or factory jobs are working 10 hour days , and they are on the internet 8 more hours ?

and how many not in the top 10 large cities have no internet ?

if the question is how many hours do people taking the BTS stay on the internet than maybe 8 hours....but not all Thais.......or any other country when you say "All"

Thai people on average spend at least 7.2 hours per day or 50.4 hours per week surfing the web.

Given the lower rate of access to the Internet, especially outside the urban areas, I find it hard to believe the AVERAGE Thai spends twice as much time on the Internet as the average European. Something tells me the denominator in this equation was NOT the entire Thai population. More likely they mean "Thai people who have regular access to the Internet ..." And even then that seems high.

EU-average-hours-spent-online-500x388.pn

Looks to be a selective poll. Where is the U.S.? Where is Australia?

It is selective: Europe. Look at the heading. But it's dated 2012. Useless now.

Yes, this data about internet is fairly correct. I'm retired now (2014), from teaching 3 years here. I taught many subjects and during classroom time I would spend 15 mins. of that time taking phones from the students who think Facebook is their life to be. At lunch time and free time these 10-16 years were on Facebook. Some of my co-Teachers would be in the back of the room on Facebook or playing games.

I quit teaching as Thailand remains in the dark ages using technologies correctly and its productively to enhance their future and leave the rice farm and explore new high tech careers that is needed in the 21st century or remain simple minded,  ASEAN is coming and people from Singapore and the such will chew this place up. I've been an educator in Tech fields/ Military and school systems around the world, so, for those of you who defend Thailands progress, you need to take a better look in the mirror and see where your country is headed.

That includes 7 hours searching for signal.

Love your answer...laugh.pngcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Before the Coup I had everyday 15 mb/s nearly 24/24

now when I'm lucky the best I have is 4 Mb/s and in the evening between 28 kb/s to 56 kb/s ..

It's also a answer why people are at least 7.2 hours on internet .

• Like 1

Many have learned that they do not have to go to work in a bar or massage parlor...they can dupe old farangs into sending them monthly allotments while promising them sexual favors as soon as they come to Thailand by using the internet and becoming a member of any one of the many so called Thai Dating Sites...most never deliver...while demands for the monthly payment to increase...continue infinitely...

Lupatria, on 07 Aug 2014 - 16:37, said:Lupatria, on 07 Aug 2014 - 16:37, said:

That explains the level of productivity in this country.

I wonder if they take into consideration that many smartphone, or businesses etc, are permanently connected, this would negatively bias any stats.

Edited by Rorri

stoli, on 07 Aug 2014 - 18:17, said:

Suradit69, on 07 Aug 2014 - 17:43, said:

Thai people on average spend at least 7.2 hours per day or 50.4 hours per week surfing the web.

Given the lower rate of access to the Internet, especially outside the urban areas, I find it hard to believe the AVERAGE Thai spends twice as much time on the Internet as the average European. Something tells me the denominator in this equation was NOT the entire Thai population. More likely they mean "Thai people who have regular access to the Internet ..." And even then that seems high.

Oh dear, you didn't read it closely,   hint, look at the top of the stats, it clearly states EUROPE.

Those of you who are not teachers are missing an amazing juggling act. My students can be killing zombies on their iPads while simultaneously having an unrelated conversation on their phones and taking notes in my class.

and 10 minutes later remembering none of it !

• Like 1

Those of you who are not teachers are missing an amazing juggling act. My students can be killing zombies on their iPads while simultaneously having an unrelated conversation on their phones and taking notes in my class.

If i was a teacher i wouldn't let the pupils / students use mobile phones / pads in the classroom .( they should be switched off and put in a locker ) Nothing more bloody irritating! clap2.gif

Yes, this data about internet is fairly correct. I'm retired now (2014), from teaching 3 years here. I taught many subjects and during classroom time I would spend 15 mins. of that time taking phones from the students who think Facebook is their life to be. At lunch time and free time these 10-16 years were on Facebook. Some of my co-Teachers would be in the back of the room on Facebook or playing games.

I quit teaching as Thailand remains in the dark ages using technologies correctly and its productively to enhance their future and leave the rice farm and explore new high tech careers that is needed in the 21st century or remain simple minded,  ASEAN is coming and people from Singapore and the such will chew this place up. I've been an educator in Tech fields/ Military and school systems around the world, so, for those of you who defend Thailands progress, you need to take a better look in the mirror and see where your country is headed.

You were probably still using landlines when the Thais started using cell phones.  

What advanced technology did you use as an 'educator'?  A textbook printed in color?

Your concept of 'using technology correctly' was outdated in the 1980's.

If i was a teacher i wouldn't let the pupils / students use mobile phones / pads in the classroom .

Yes that is the rule, but I teach math and physics and the calculations can get intense, so I allow them to use the calculators in their mobile devices. That means I also have to make frequent walks around the room to make sure that's what they're really using them for.

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 2

I also don't believe this is how much the average Thai spends on internet. Many people in villages don't even use internet. Many don't have computers and don't have internet on their phones. Many don't even have smart phones.

But just consider those that do spend at least this much time on internet. Heck, that really is nearly a third of the day. How much do they sleep? How much real intereaction do they have?

I am pretty sure this reflects city people who work in malls and other jobs where they have a lot of free time. I see people doing whatever on their phones while at work. But, even then, are they online, or doing something on their phones, like playing a game that is on the phone itself? 

Edited by troysantos
  • Like 1

I think you'll find the US and Australia are NOT in Europe.   

The excessive use of internet applies to other internet users all over the globe.

I spend more than 7.2 hrs. on internet. When I get home from work, I would turn on my notebook and leave it on whole day. I would put it on sleep mode during bed time and that does not mean that I am hooked on internet. I do shopping almost everything online except fresh produce and drinks. I could go without using my smartphone during trips outside home. I can't stand the slowness of reception which is 3G though, maybe it has to do with the phone company. 

I firmly believe that some TV users spend 24 hours a day in their relentless pursuit of the opportunity to post "there is no such thing as a retirement visa" and the enormous satisfaction they get from this.

Edit: retirement visa, last 4 years.

plus of course, the good old,

"if you dont like it, go home".

and the timeless classics " lowlife sexpat criminal quality tourist, etc."

• Like 1

if you bother with bars in pattaya you will see most girls only work now to get free internet. they can be on the phone all night with various charging *things* hanging out of it to keep the thing running.

some get quite peed off if you have the audacity to walk into their bar and expect to be served. you would need 1000 baht stuck to your forehead to get their attention.....albiet for 3 mins max.

if you bother with bars in pattaya you will see most girls only work now to get free internet. they can be on the phone all night with various charging *things* hanging out of it to keep the thing running.

some get quite peed off if you have the audacity to walk into their bar and expect to be served. you would need 1000 baht stuck to your forehead to get their attention.....albiet for 3 mins max.

They are keeping their sponsors happy.

"no darling, I am not working in the bar, always have time for you"

One or two or three sponsors in their hands is better than your hand in the bush, so to speak.cheesy.gif cheesy.gif