Norwegian Jumps To Death

Patex

Here is the full story:

Norwegian national jumps from the Pattaya International Hospital and later dies.

Police were called to the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital on Tuesday evening to investigate another suicide case involving a foreign national. Police inspected the body of Mr. Jarle Neteland aged 27 from Norway. The case begins at the Pattaya International Hospital located inside Soi 4 off the Pattaya Second Road. Mr. Neteland had been taken to the Emergency Department by his friend after complaining of a fever. Doctors were also told he was suffering from severe depression. Mr. Neteland was admitted to room number 511 on the 5th floor. At around 6pm he apparently jumped from the room window. For an unknown reason he was then transferred to the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital for emergency treatment. He was still alive at this time but had sustained multiple broken bones and suspected internal injuries. Despite the best efforts of medical staff he passed away. Police are now trying to determine the reason for the suicide and for his severe depression and are in close contact with the Norwegian Embassy to find out more information about the victim before they close the case.

Pattaya City News

Wednesday 5th July 2006

Here is the full story:

Norwegian national jumps from the Pattaya International Hospital and later dies.

Police were called to the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital on Tuesday evening to investigate another suicide case involving a foreign national. Police inspected the body of Mr. Jarle Neteland aged 27 from Norway. The case begins at the Pattaya International Hospital located inside Soi 4 off the Pattaya Second Road. Mr. Neteland had been taken to the Emergency Department by his friend after complaining of a fever. Doctors were also told he was suffering from severe depression. Mr. Neteland was admitted to room number 511 on the 5th floor. At around 6pm he apparently jumped from the room window. For an unknown reason he was then transferred to the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital for emergency treatment. He was still alive at this time but had sustained multiple broken bones and suspected internal injuries. Despite the best efforts of medical staff he passed away. Police are now trying to determine the reason for the suicide and for his severe depression and are in close contact with the Norwegian Embassy to find out more information about the victim before they close the case.

Pattaya City News

Wednesday 5th July 2006

Suffering from fever and depression one might ask the question as to why he was put on the 5th floor and able to jump to his death ? R I P.

Suffering from fever and depression one might ask the question as to why he was put on the 5th floor and able to jump to his death ? R I P.

There aren't enough rooms on the first floor for all the depressed (I doubt he was diagnosed as clinically depressed.... more likely often grumpy/whinging and in a bad mood: how many folks fall into that category?) foreigners out there.

:o

There aren't enough rooms on the first floor for all the depressed (I doubt he was diagnosed as clinically depressed.... more likely often grumpy/whinging and in a bad mood: how many folks fall into that category?) foreigners out there.

Thank you for your comment....but if the report is correct then the doctors at the hospital were informed by the deceased`s friend that quote "Doctors were also told that he was suffering from SEVERE DEPRESSION"

I would have thought as a layman that this sounds more than being `grumpy` as you have put it. :D

Thank you for your comment....but if the report is correct then the doctors at the hospital were informed by the deceased`s friend that quote "Doctors were also told that he was suffering from SEVERE DEPRESSION"

I would have thought as a layman that this sounds more than being `grumpy` as you have put it. :D

There are plenty of folks out there that are REALLY GRUMPY AND WHINGY (IN CAPITAL LETTERS). It doesn't automatically mean clinically depressed (nor does being depressed = likely to commit suicide; especially considering that he allowed himself to be checked into a hospital presumably for TREATMENT; presumably with the intention to CONTINUE LIVING) nor should it get them an automatic upgrade to business class either.

:D

There are plenty of folks out there that are REALLY GRUMPY AND WHINGY (IN CAPITAL LETTERS). It doesn't automatically mean clinically depressed (nor does being depressed = likely to commit suicide; especially considering that he allowed himself to be checked into a hospital presumably for TREATMENT; presumably with the intention to CONTINUE LIVING) nor should it get them an automatic upgrade to business class either.

First of all my respects to the deceased`s family and friends.

Secondly Heng...you are talking a load of CRAP...yes they are capitals too. :D

First of all my respects to the deceased`s family and friends.

Secondly Heng...you are talking a load of CRAP...yes they are capitals too. :D

Considering the staggeringly high incidence of suicides by Farangs in Thailand, I would have thought the hospital might have been a little more circumspect than to put a patient allegedly suffering from severe depression on the fifth floor.

Yes Heng, you are full of crap.

RIP to the poor guy, and my condolences to his next of kin.

Police were called to the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital on Tuesday evening to investigate another suicide case involving a foreign national.

At around 6pm he apparently jumped from the room window ( Pattaya International Hospital). For an unknown reason he was then transferred to the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital for emergency treatment. He was still alive at this time but had sustained multiple broken bones and suspected internal injuries.

Now that is strange to me :o

R.I.P. :D

Edited by Kan Win

Police were called to the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital on Tuesday evening to investigate another suicide case involving a foreign national.

At around 6pm he apparently jumped from the room window ( Pattaya International Hospital). For an unknown reason he was then transferred to the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital for emergency treatment. He was still alive at this time but had sustained multiple broken bones and suspected internal injuries.

This was the first thing that struck me. If he was laying outside of Pattaya International and still alive, then why would they transport him to Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital and give him the chance the die (for an unknown reason?)? Am I missing something here as well? :D

My condolences to the friends and family

My condolences to the family of the deceased.

Clincal Depression is a very good indicator of suicidal tendencies. When Medical Staff are told that someone suffers from depression, staff should be alert to abherrent behavior (including suicidal attempts).

This guy was admitted for treatment of a fever. Like most hospitals, I am sure their # 1 concern was treating his physical condition. He should, however, have been put somewhere where he was not likely to injure himself and/or watched.

Heng, at the end of the day, this guy is responsible for jumping, however, when people's liberty is restricted in some way--such as being put in police custody or in a hospital etc. then others are taking on a certain level of responsibility for their welfare. In this case that didn't happen as it should.

Most hospitals wouldn't be able to deal with it much better, however. It's sad, but these things happen.

Heng, at the end of the day, this guy is responsible for jumping, however, when people's liberty is restricted in some way--such as being put in police custody or in a hospital etc. then others are taking on a certain level of responsibility for their welfare. In this case that didn't happen as it should.

Most hospitals wouldn't be able to deal with it much better, however. It's sad, but these things happen.

I'm certainly not wanting to say this is not a sad event. More like just trying to say that IMO the hospital didn't do anything negligient with the info. they had at hand (that his friends saying he had been very depressed doesn't = clinical depression + suicidal tendences).

The nature of the injuries sustained in the jump, including head injuries made them decide to transfer him to the other hospital. Apparently BPH is better equiped and more specialized than PIH.

I prefer the "they could not find his wallet" verson but i got put straight by the wife!

very sad RIP

Edited by maprao