Do you need a Thai registered phone to transfer funds or pay bills via Internet ?

I am referring particular to Bangkok Bank.  It seems that each time you wish to make a transfer or payment to another account via Internet, you need a Thai registered mobile phone to receive a OTP (one time password) from the bank before you can complete the transaction.

So if you are out of Thailand for a good 6 months and your prepaid SIM card expires, you will not be able to transfer or pay your bills using Internet. 

Is that the case with everyone ? 

.I have  the OTP sent to my wifes phone , so if I am out of the country she can text it to me 

In case the OP doesn't have a wife:

For a one time payment of 20THB,  DTAC will allow you International roaming and thus you can received SMS messages wherever you are for free.  I am sure that AIS has a similar program

And since you know that you are going to be out of Thailand, once again for 20THB, DTAC will extend the validity of your prepaid sim for a year, hopefully AIS does the same 

If you are using True then all bets are off 

Edited by Langsuan Man
  • Like 1

I was on TRUE until recently when it expired when I was overseas.

I checked with TRUE before leaving Thailand and was told to make a call or send a sms while within expiry date and the line will be automatically extended for 60 days. It never happened.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't let the current phone number expire, or ever forget the number you set the account up with.  For whatever reason, it is one of the most important forms of ID when dealing with the bank on all kinds of issues.

Assuming the transfers are recurring, you can just add them to your third party accounts list and then make transfers anytime, anywhere.  No need for sms OTP (except for adding the account and first transfer), or messages.

I don't use sms notifications (at the moment), but I do get email notifications at every logon and transfer.

Have you thought of setting up automatic debit for utility/phone bills?

The first time you transfer funds to a specific account, part of the "set up" procedure is to send an SMS to the phone number you have associated with your Bangkok Bank account.  Once you receive the SMS, you input the code on Bangkok Bank's website to complete the set up process.  After that, there is no need for an SMS to transfer funds.

There's an option to receive OTPs by email.

This is true and essential. You would be surprised how many people don't use any kind of mobile phone.

And you might lose your phone (or change number) but unlikely to lose your email address.

Maybe that's just an issue with Bangkok Bank. I have SCB and I used to regularly make transfers for my rent, international, bills you name it. I always had the confirmation sent to my email. I do have a phone number on file but I rarely need it.

"There's an option to receive OTPs by email."

I have this with Kasikornbank and it works well. I use it to pay the rent when I am away. They give you a separate password, they call,it PIN2. As I remember though I had to fill out some papers to get it so I needed to do it while I was here

The first time you transfer funds to a specific account, part of the "set up" procedure is to send an SMS to the phone number you have associated with your Bangkok Bank account.  Once you receive the SMS, you input the code on Bangkok Bank's website to complete the set up process.  After that, there is no need for an SMS to transfer funds.

I have completed the set up process before I left Bangkok.

You mean I can proceed to transfer without having to wait for a OTP each time I make a transfer ?

Edited by thairookie

You dont need roaming or even a valid subscription to get SMS on your prepaid card.  And when you have a thai internet bank you can add 100/200 Baht via that bank account so that the card is topped up a little ...

Data can be switched off so that you only use the card as a reciever ...

Only bad thing is that you tend to get a lot of SMS SPAM ... I have Happy/DTAC and have kept the number for 4 years simply by not turning it off when I am back "home" in Europé for 3-5 months.

"There's an option to receive OTPs by email."

I have this with Kasikornbank and it works well. I use it to pay the rent when I am away. They give you a separate password, they call,it PIN2. As I remember though I had to fill out some papers to get it so I needed to do it while I was here

Had Pin 2 before....but you have to set everything up at the bank while you are in Thailand.

If you want to pay someone new you can't do this outside of Thailand with Pin 2.

Have changed to OTP.

Have 12call on global roaming, just go to AIS shop and they turn it on for you.

I use a second phone, turn on the Thai number, Put in the new transfer details, the OTP arrives, enter it in, all good.

Once you have entered in the new transfer/payment details, they are locked into your account.

Next time you want to transfer/pay you dont need a OTP.

I make sure the AIS number is still active until my next trip and put a bit of credit on it.

Easy once you set it up.

Hope this helps.....aussiep

You mean I can proceed to transfer without having to wait for a OTP each time I make a transfer ?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no OTP after set up but I suggest you contact Bangkok Bank to confirm.

This is what I have done for years and I travel a lot.

1) Get a prepaid Thai sim card.

2) You will be able to access it from overseas, what I do is use it as my secondary sim SIM 2. I turn it on only when I do banking, or else it always stays off in SIM 1 only mode. Dual Sim mode when banking.

3) Even when you are abroad outside Thailand, you will still receive the OTP code each time.

4) To ensure your thai SIM card stays active, make sure you top it off on time. Mine is Happy Dprompt by DTAC, I log onto my Thai Internet banking --> Pay bills --> Dtac Prepaid Card ----> 50 baht ---> Done. I instantly get 50 baht in my balance, and another 40 days extension. So if I am gone for a year, I easily get a bulk of 500+ unused baht, because I only need the extension.

There is no need to stock up on prepaid cards or anything else. Everything is simple and can all be done outside Thailand.

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, there is no OTP after set up but I suggest you contact Bangkok Bank to confirm.

I will try it out tomorrow.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Once logged into your ibanking you can change your settings (personal or security, i don't remember) and turn off OTP. You can elect to receive notice by email I believe.

Two OTP's involved: one when you set up the third party account, and two, the first time you initiate a transfer. After that, no more OTP's required. This, at least, with my experience setting up several third party transfer accounts.

I have been fiddling with the settings.

It seems that you can deactivate the OTP and do whatever transfers among accounts that have already been added to your Internet Banking.  But to add new account, be it your own to a 3rd party, you will still need a OTP. 

I wonder why they are not using a special dongle that contains a set of algorithms that you can carry around without having to worry about sms and telephone connection.

As well, the email notification is a different thing altogether.  It cannot replace the OTP function.

I thought you only needed the OTP to set up a new Payee.....  after that secondary payments could be issued without one.

Check the facilities on internet banking, I certainly do many things without a problem from the UK.

Enable roaming then you can receive the OTP in other countries. If I recall correctly an SMS was free, calls are a rip-off.

You can top up your SIM also using Bangkok Bank Internet banking, once you have plugged it in as a payee, it is very straightforward.

I have been fiddling with the settings.

It seems that you can deactivate the OTP and do whatever transfers among accounts that have already been added to your Internet Banking.  But to add new account, be it your own to a 3rd party, you will still need a OTP. 

I wonder why they are not using a special dongle that contains a set of algorithms that you can carry around without having to worry about sms and telephone connection.

As well, the email notification is a different thing altogether.  It cannot replace the OTP function.

What is a 'special dongle'? Sounds like hackable, losable security.

Most UK banks settled on the keycard and standalone card reader security hardware for internet transactions.

Bangkok Bank like most in Asia, went the way of OTP as that doesn't require investment and maintenance in unique hardware such as 'special dongles', keycards and card readers.

As you have worked out, once you have set up all the accounts online in Thailand, transactions to/from them via Bualuang online banking requires no OTP. Only if you wish to add (or change) account information, then access to the OTP system is needed (as well as for the first transaction to a newly added account). Only then does one have to worry about having international roaming configured on your mobile carrier account.

A word of advice as a long-time user of Bualuang while out of Thailand; their website design is dated and the response time is pretty crappy and may be even more challenged if your wifi or internet isn't too fast. Before I departed for overseas last time, I installed their Bualuang app for mobile devices (I have android) and it is so much faster than their browser-based interfaces. However, you can't install it while your are overseas as the account access password setup also relies on OTP security which is a problem unless you do have international roaming on your SIM. However, I would wait until you are back in Thailand and add it to your mobile device as a backup to their web-based service.

To those with opinions on security on mobile platforms, I have it enabled on my UK and offshore accounts but it is a backup to online access via my laptop. Although I don't do any transactions via the mobile platform, it is much faster and more convenient way of verifying that I have indeed been paid for the hit(s) I just carried out.