1 dead 5 injured as crane falls on two minivans on Pattaya Highway 7

webfact

1 dead 5 injured as crane falls on two minivans on Pattaya Highway 7

crane-6.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Police and medics were called to Highway 7 on the outskirts of Pattaya on Thursday afternoon to deal with a serious and fatal accident involving a crane and two Toyota Minivans which left a driver dead and 5 passengers injured.

The incident occurred on the Laem Chabang section of Highway 7 where a new flyover is currently being constructed. Due to high winds and at a time when the crane was fully extended to 50 meters in length, it toppled over and the crane shaft fell onto two Toyota Minivans on the east-bound carriageway.

The driver of one of the minivans, Khun Santi aged 45, was pronounced dead at the scene and a total of 5 passengers, 3 of them Japanese Nationals, were seriously injured and taken to Hospitals in the Sriracha District area.

Khun Sompong, the crane driver explained how he was employed to assist the construction of the Nong Kham-Laem Chabang Flyover and had the crane shaft fully extended with a long piece of concrete attached to the hook.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/137971/1-dead-5-injured-as-crane-falls-on-two-minivans-on-pattaya-highway-7/

[pattayaone]2014-08-08[/pattayaone]

• Like 1

Oooops. 

This is the 3Rd crane I have seen toppled over. I thought they were supposed to calculate things so they don't tip over?

Calculating is not their strongest point. Below is another example of their calculating capabilities at the same construction site.

[attachment=278342:flyover 2.jpg]

• Like 2

Oooops. 

This is the 3Rd crane I have seen toppled over. I thought they were supposed to calculate things so they don't tip over?

Calculating is not their strongest point. Below is another example of their calculating capabilities at the same construction site.

attachicon.gifflyover 2.jpg

This is not and cannot be a picture of the same site as the one referred to in the article. Check you facts!!!

Oooops. 

[attachment=278347:flyover 2.jpg]

This is not and cannot be a picture of the same site as the one referred to in the article. Check you facts!!!

Laem Chabang section of Highway 7 where a new flyover is currently being constructed.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I still remember where I took the picture. The picture is the flyover right side of the highway, which leads I think to PinTong and further to Bowin

• Like 2

...I would like to think ...

Many times on construction sites in Indonesia in the bar after work some one would say "what were they thinking" followed by a burst of laughter all around.

If living in Asia , best not to think, at least too much!

Calculating is not their strong point.

What can one do when one doesn't have enough fingers and toes to make a correct calculation.

you are spot on there,yesterday my wife needed a calculator to work out 500 multiplied by 10,she couldn't understand why i had a fit of laughter.

No concept of a site engineer and a safety engineer who will have to oversee and authorise working conditions and practices?  Don't they have any qualification methods before they put someone on a heavy equipment?

Too sad that a please trip turned into a nightmare for the tourists in a foreign country.

ZigZagMan, on 08 Aug 2014 - 08:46, said:

Oooops. 

No one actually trains them.

There is no ballast weight fitted to the crane, the jib was over extended for what ever weight he was lifting, rear riggers set up to close to the edge of the excavation, even if  the ballast weight had been fitted that embankment would have failed reducing in the same result.

Waste of life due to some idiot in a crane who did not have the experience or interest  to set it up correctly.. RIP 

Matter experts should take pictures and post them on the forum whenever they see complex technical equipment setup and used correctly by local workers.

From my personal experience, I can predict the thread to be pretty quiet.

I'm still surprised how so many locals take every possible shortcut, ignoring safety and completely inconsiderate of the quality of the result.

Calculating is not their strong point.

What can one do when one doesn't have enough fingers and toes to make a correct calculation.

Grrrrr!  It was easier when i was driving buffaloes, they don't tip over.  wai2.gif