Today ='s Last Chance Fish & Chips Old Price

ThePunPun

Sorry to say, but after more than 3 and a half years , we have to start increasing some of our prices.

As today is Friday, the Fish & Chips special , will for the last time be available at 175 Baht. Tomorrow prices will be going up.

So if Fish & Chips may fit your lunch taste buds , why not stop by today.

FishampChips.jpg

Thanks for your time

G

• Like 1

Maybe I'll meet some other semi-anonymous TV posters in the lineup today.

Where's Pun Pun Guesthouse???

Here's Pun Pun Guesthouse:

18°47'58.4"N 99°00'14.8"E

Now I understand. When I saw " zzifle" , asking for directions to The Pun Pun !!! ...I thought what is wrong with this boy..... he fly 21 meters thru the air after getting hit by a motorcycle or what???? As many trips as he has made here and now he gets amnesia???

But in reading , I understand , you are giving the GPS co-ords..... Good on ya, now I can find my way back too.

See ya for lunch.

G

yum, looks good!

What kind of fish do you use? Pangas Dory?

Thanks for the question MkB, but in all honesty I can't give you an answer other than delicious.

We have used the , what looks like a redfish , from the market, and locally and phonetically it sounds like "toptim".

If someone has a firmer answer , out there, I would be happy to hear it.

I am not a great fish lover, but I have to honestly tell you, this fish has really changed my opinion on fishy food.

We buy them whole and alive and my Pranee brings them home and works her magic on them.

We also use them on the dinner, we bill as our Garlic Fish, and I have to say that is great. The favorable comments we get from people who say they are not fish lovers , gives me confidence to back up my own taste buds.

Will check to see if I have a pic of that dinner.

yum, looks good!

What kind of fish do you use? Pangas Dory?

Thanks for the question MkB, but in all honesty I can't give you an answer other than delicious.

We have used the , what looks like a redfish , from the market, and locally and phonetically it sounds like "toptim".

If someone has a firmer answer , out there, I would be happy to hear it.

I am not a great fish lover, but I have to honestly tell you, this fish has really changed my opinion on fishy food.

We buy them whole and alive and my Pranee brings them home and works her magic on them.

We also use them on the dinner, we bill as our Garlic Fish, and I have to say that is great. The favorable comments we get from people who say they are not fish lovers , gives me confidence to back up my own taste buds.

Will check to see if I have a pic of that dinner.

ปลาทับทิม pla thap-thim is a popular fresh water fish in Chiang Mai. Sometimes called "Ruby Fish," or "Pomegranate Fish."

Firm and flakey, not mushy. Nice for fish and chips. Winnie the Kwai reports that Tab Tim is the genetically engineered Frankenfish variety of Tilapia (pla-nin) that's bigger and pinkish in color, a species copyrighted by the CP Group.

Kelly's has the best fish and chips ....that I have experienced so far.

Slippery Lobster -

Please identify the fish used in Kelly's Fish & Chips.

Where is Kelly's located? Thanks.

Hi Bob, Its located in Meechok Plaza, on Mae Jo Road,1001,

enter the Plaza ,go straight past McDonalds,its about the

3rd or 4th shophouse from the end on the right hand side.

The fish and chips are the best in Chiang Mai (i think),nice

crispy batter,available 3 different sizes,small is enough for

me,the fish is either Talapia or catfish,which is the norm here,

Cod or Haddock would be nice ,but prices would be prohibitive,

back in the UK they are having to use Vietnamese catfish.

regards Worgeordie

Then you haven't tried Dee's mobile fish n chips about town. Can't be beaten for taste and price.

If thats true then most fish and chip shops in Australia and NZ are better then all of the ones in CM

But i havnt been to England so maybe they just suck at fish and chips, USA certainly does

Then you haven't tried Dee's mobile fish n chips about town. Can't be beaten for taste and price.

I have not tried Kelly's as it is very inconvenient for me, but the fact that he ran a fish and chips shop in the UK makes them worth a visit.

I put Dee's in the OK category. It is cheap, but the portion is quite small. One is not enough for me.

My favorite right now is Gecko Gardens. The special on Friday nights - I think that it is 110 baht with a small salad - is always packed to the rafters, but it is only a little more expensive the rest of the time. Not the best in the world, but good enough and lots of food. They have malt vinegar and tartar sauce and the price is right.

I am a fan of Pun Pun, but I only eat fish and chips at night and it is too dangerous a trip on a bicycle.

I have not tried Kelly's as it is very inconvenient for me, but the fact that he ran a fish and chips shop in the UK makes them worth a visit.

I put Dee's in the OK category. It is cheap, but the portion is quite small. One is not enough for me.

My favorite right now is Gecko Gardens. The special on Friday nights - I think that it is 110 baht with a small salad - is always packed to the rafters, but it is only a little more expensive the rest of the time. Not the best in the world, but good enough and lots of food. They have malt vinegar and tartar sauce and the price is right.

I am a fan of Pun Pun, but I only eat fish and chips at night and it is too dangerous a trip on a bicycle.

Dee's 2 pieces of fish with chips at 90 baht, hard to beat, and very filling.

• Like 1

Took me a while to dig out, but here is a photo of the type of fish we use, both , in the Fish & Chips and in our popular Garlic Fish Dinner.

Of course in the Fish & Chips the fish is filleted

Re the Garlic Fish Dinner, you'd better have a good appetite to finish one of these, or else its styro box take some home time.

----- and UG, why not wear dark sunglasses and come by some lunch time for the Fish & Chips? If the dark glasses are dark enough you may think it is night time, so your stomach will think its ok.

GarlicFish.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Pun Pun,not surprised you have to raise prices,I went to

Makro to do the weekly shop this morning and the price of

everything seem to be up,89 bht for 2ltr Milk,Meat up,Veg

more expensive,it might not mean a lot in item prices but

in % i would say 8-10% more,thats a lot more than the Govt

admits it is.

regards Worgeordie

Milk's been up round the 87 to 89 baht mark for a while unless its on special or near use buy date and so has NZ Mainland cheese gone up.

I think you will find that most dairy product comes from NZ (milk in powder form) and the NZ dollar has been rising as opposed to the Thai baht sliding south.

Hardly a dairy industry here to satisfy a 65 million population.

Pork is the flyer its gone up maybe 50% in 5 years.

• Like 1

admits it is.

regards Worgeordie

Milk's been up round the 87 to 89 baht mark for a while unless its on special or near use buy date and so has NZ Mainland cheese gone up.

I think you will find that most dairy product comes from NZ (milk in powder form) and the NZ dollar has been rising as opposed to the Thai baht sliding south.

For what its worth

Aug 2009 Aug 2014

115 p/kg Pork 145 p/kg

120 Beef 270

75 Chicken 85

These are actual prices paid on those dates at Muang Mai Mkt...Beef is the real killer

G

Slippery Lobster -

regards Worgeordie

Plenty of Vietnamese catfish available in Thailand, it's called Pangasius. After you have seen a docu about how they are farmed, you not gonna buy them ever again.

Makro had a good alternative, called Alaska pollock, but since the richest man from Thailand has taken over Siam Makro, it's all replaced by the cheap shit Pangasius.

• Like 1

JMO, but fellow expat starts a thread offering a deal (yeah, I know he's also advertising) and the posters here use it as an opportunity to talk about places other than OP's restaurant that they prefer....pretty lousy support.

If you like fish and chips somewhere else, start a 'best fish and chips' thread, don't hijack someone else's thread, especially someone who did offer you a heads up on a way to save a few baht.

It's called freedom of speech, it's a public forum.

A bit of competition never hurt anyone, keep folks honest (mostly).

Why don't you start the thread, seeing it's your idea.

The OP knew more than well what sort of posts he would get here.

admits it is.

regards Worgeordie

For what its worth

Aug 2009 Aug 2014

115 p/kg Pork 145 p/kg

120 Beef 270

75 Chicken 85

These are actual prices paid on those dates at Muang Mai Mkt...Beef is the real killer

G

Interesting comparison and again beef is almost 100% fully imported.During a recent trip back to my country Australia I could not believe the high prices of beef which was once part of the staple diet of most Australians.

While a continuing drought has resulted in poor prices for OZ beef farmers its not reflected on the supermarket shelves. Legs of lamb, originating from Australia and NZ,in Makro are about the same price.My Thai wife loves lamb but suggest she would be in the minority.

My comment on the price of pork was related to what we buy pork for in Big C or Makro .Always a bit reluctant to buy meat from markets. We buy all our fruit and veges from Mae Hia Market fresh and excellent value.

Slippery Lobster -

regards Worgeordie

Plenty of Vietnamese catfish available in Thailand, it's called Pangasius. After you have seen a docu about how they are farmed, you not gonna buy them ever again.

Makro had a good alternative, called Alaska pollock, but since the richest man from Thailand has taken over Siam Makro, it's all replaced by the cheap shit Pangasius.

Worgeordie is spot-on with the Pangasius. Siam Makro (and throughout Thailand) it's also called "Pangasius Dory" - not the John Dory fish that is popular in England. Kelly's and Dee's and Coach's and dozens of other Fish and Chips plates around Chiang Mai (except Pun Pun) use this cheap and plentiful "white fish" rather than the more expensive Atlantic Cod, Grouper, Haddock, Pollock, etc.). Sadly, TV Forum customers and reviewers never mention the fish type, only that it's "cheap" and "filling," and there's "plenty of chips".

Atlantic Cod is imported frozen and sold in Rimping. I'd pay 150-200 baht for that fish in a nice batter, if it was on the menu.

Worgeordie is spot-on with the Pangasius. Siam Makro (and throughout Thailand) it's also called "Pangasius Dory" - not the John Dory fish that is popular in England. Kelly's and Dee's and Coach's and dozens of other Fish and Chips plates around Chiang Mai (except Pun Pun) use this cheap and plentiful "white fish" rather than the more expensive Atlantic Cod, Grouper, Haddock, Pollock, etc.). Sadly, TV Forum customers and reviewers never mention the fish type, only that it's "cheap" and "filling," and there's "plenty of chips".

Atlantic Cod is imported frozen and sold in Rimping. I'd pay 150-200 baht for that fish in a nice batter, if it was on the menu.

The Alaska Pollock in frozen fillets, which is a tasty fish which doesn't lose half his weight when thawed like the Pangasius does, was about 230 Bht/kg when still available in Makro, where the Pangasius is 110 Bht . So I would think that using the Alaska Pollock wouldn't kill the bank for the restaurant owner.

The Alaska Pollock in frozen fillets, which is a tasty fish which doesn't lose half his weight when thawed like the Pangasius does, was about 230 Bht/kg when still available in Makro, where the Pangasius is 110 Bht . So I would think that using the Alaska Pollock wouldn't kill the bank for the restaurant owner.

The Prime Atlantic Cod fillets at Rimping (Nim City) are priced at 495 baht per kilogram. A delicious fish indeed (and twice as expensive as the Alaska Pollock). How many grams of fish per serving? How many servings per kilogram? Too pricey for us fish-lovers in Chiang Mai?

post-28863-0-41269200-1407737185_thumb.p

The Prime Atlantic Cod fillets at Rimping (Nim City) are priced at 495 baht per kilogram. A delicious fish indeed (and twice as expensive as the Alaska Pollock). How many grams of fish per serving? How many servings per kilogram? Too pricey for us fish-lovers in Chiang Mai?

WHAT ! ! ! Your post has been on here with that photo for more than 5 minutes now..... & not one bitch about the photo or camera, or lighting, or plate color...... Man I need to sit down with you and find out how you did that.

tongue.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

The prime Atlantic Cod, is actually Prime Pacific Cod,processed in China,as a lot of fish is today,

its still about the best fish available here,does not have that oily taste that the Alaskan Pollock

does,with one fillet of the Cod you should get 3 portions,the batter will make them look bigger !

RimPing charges Bht 280 +-,for a fillet,so about 100 bht per portion ,so that means fish and chips

made with the Cod,would have to be 250-300 bht, with some posters looking for 50 bht meals,

the price would be too much to take for many Ex pats here.

regards Worgeordie

WHAT ! ! ! Your post has been on here with that photo for more than 5 minutes now..... & not one bitch about the photo or camera, or lighting, or plate color...... Man I need to sit down with you and find out how you did that.

tongue.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Did he download it from Google images? That is usually the best way to go.