How I bought Return Flight Bangkok / Sakon Nakhon for 863.50 Baht

spambot

Sakon Nakhon is a great place it's the dog meat for human consumption center of Thailand. You can buy doggie leather gloves even dog skin coats and then dine on prime pooch.

If you are "fed up" 555 of soi dogs this is the place to go! Happy Hunting.

Ha - Your reply made me laugh!

Thanks for giving a light hearted view of Sakon Nakhon.

- Appreciated.

I was thinking of booking this until i thought what the hell is there to do in Nakon Sakhon. Don't fancy a hot dog.

Yup - I know I was half in that same frame of mind - But since i have never been to that particular place before - And its so ridiculously cheap and easy getting there I probably will not go there again  - I purposely booked late in day flight and I am only staying 2 nights - I come back on third day - And hence only 2 days really being there - For me at this price its just a reconnaissance run to see at first sight - Have a few beers and see the local bar scene - see what is actually the vibe - Look at the possibilities of coming back - Its a very low cost to do a quick look and possibly do nothing, but I really do not have any real heavy committed here - I see it as more like a day out - not like a long trip (Like if I was going by train) -So the education i will be coming back with becomes bigger than the need to be enchanted by Nakon Sakhon per say.

Edited by spambot

Spent a lot of time in Sakon Nakhon,, know people there and know my way around,, now i am in Bangkok and was thinking of going there,, didn't know there was a flight there,, i only saw an old military landing field there maybe it is open to domestic flights,, if it is then i might go there as it is better then getting a bus from Bangkok or from Udon Thani, thanks for the info.

• Like 1

Yet another example for the clueless 7/11 staff.

Same happened to a neighbour.

I made up the booking for him and sent him to 7/11 with the printout.

"No have, no can".

He gave up.

A hell lot of services advertised at 7/11 and the staff is uneducated/clueless.

• Like 1

Spent a lot of time in Sakon Nakhon,, know people there and know my way around,, now i am in Bangkok and was thinking of going there,, didn't know there was a flight there,, i only saw an old military landing field there maybe it is open to domestic flights,, if it is then i might go there as it is better then getting a bus from Bangkok or from Udon Thani, thanks for the info.

SN has a small but decently outfitted domestic airport for commercial jets.

It's already been served by Nok Air, I believe two flights per day from BKK. And now Air Asia is adding new service there, with their promo fares about half the price offered by Nok's promo fares.

Last time I checked, fyi, there were no formal rental car operations at the airport there, although I think the Nok Air staff there, after we really pressed them with my wife speaking Thai, gave us a referral on some locals who would provide rental transport services.

SN doesn't have any meter taxi service. But my wife, who's from there, says there are mini-bus routes and songthau lines. Last time we visited there, we flew into Udon, rented a car at the Udon airport, and drove to SN in order to have our own transport.

BTW, in addition to its reputation as a place for dog meat, SN also has a deserved reputation as a place with quite good local beef and beef steak -- if you can get the local to tell you where to go and find a way to get there.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

I was thinking of booking this until i thought what the hell is there to do in Nakon Sakhon.

But since i have never been to that particular place before - And its so ridiculously cheap and easy getting there I probably will not go there again  - I purposely booked late in day flight and I am only staying 2 nights - I come back on third day - And hence only 2 days really being there - For me at this price its just a reconnaissance run to see at first sight - Have a few beers and see the local bar scene - see what is actually the vibe - Look at the possibilities of coming back - Its a very low cost to do a quick look and possibly do nothing, but I really do not have any real heavy committed here - I see it as more like a day out - not like a long trip (Like if I was going by train) -So the education i will be coming back with becomes bigger than the need to be enchanted by Nakon Sakhon per say.

Sounds same Sakhon Nakhon city or that province is some =outer space= lol, or in the desert,

in a wasteland, on the edge of the world? rolleyes.gif

I live 120 km from Sakhon Nakhon city, near Sawang Den Din in the countryside.

Since a decade +,

no outer space, just the end of Eastern Thailand is near. wink.png

Would believe, NIGHT LIFE is very limited, is it already, in the more sophisticated Udon Thani city,

where I have only 85 km to drive to and use as a door to the world and for bigger shopping. smile.png

• Like 1

Sounds same Sakhon Nakhon city or that province is some =outer space= lol, or in the desert,

in a wasteland, on the edge of the world? rolleyes.gif

I live 120 km from Sakhon Nakhon city, near Sawang Den Din in the countryside.

Since a decade +,

no outer space, just the end of Eastern Thailand is near. wink.png

Would believe, NIGHT LIFE is very limited, is it already, in the more sophisticated Udon Thani city,

where I have only 85 km to drive to and use as a door to the world and for bigger shopping. smile.png

My wife used to work in SDD, which is kind of halfway between Udon Thani and SN, and that's where we met originally.

As for SN, they have a newish mall there, not far from the airport, that has a nice Tops market and a Robinson's and a variety of useful restaurants and shops, including mobile phone stuff, etc.

There's also a very nice and modern hotel not far from the airport. Lovely rooms. Go up from the airport to the main highway and turn right at the corner. The hotel place is on the right hand side of the highway not far down.

SN has a bunch of listings for hotels now on Agoda... about 16. But the place I checked out near the airport doesn't appear to be one of them.

http://www.agoda.com/pages/agoda/default/DestinationSearchResult.aspx?asq=bs17wTmKLORqTfZUfjFABjlGMiRjCSBFEKFmZldmyAtufsTgcH5%2bGTC3%2fOaFH6EGjnDveQPcyB71EixoUyo%2baI9LV0gbp6dzHS1k1VkUDFijZmSXPajAHzyGZeTJrGPLZSGJH%2bJU4vYu3VsJ0%2b2FbqR94FQJBMULo8cdLobiQPFbzCJCI6Fz61dXaWAng9O8%2fKfq9%2bpIY1T13MPcv3XEgw%3d%3d&tick=635432663323

• Like 2

This -- U-Style Hotel -- is the hotel we looked at, and toured the rooms, near the airport. But we didn't stay there ourselves, because we already had a reservation elsewhere.

It seemed like a nice place, just a couple years old, and modern style rooms. One downside was they have a karaoke bar downstairs, and it was clear the music could be heard into the upstairs rooms at night.

http://ustylehotel.com/

U Style Hotel is a boutique and budget hotel in Sakon Nakhon Province, opposite to Sakon Nakhon Rajabhat University(Gate 1).We offer clean, cozy and friendly accommodation.

Location info:
2 minutes walk to the local market
7 minutes by car to Sakon Nakhon Airport.
13 minutes by car to Robinson Department Store.

There's also a big older hotel on the opposite corner of the main intersection there alongside the Rajabhat University. From what my wife tells me, the hotel is run by the university as a training ground for the students there.  But when we checked there, they told us all their rooms were pairs of single beds only -- no double or larger beds in the hotel, they claimed.

• Like 1

Spambot, you mentioned comfort kit.

Does that come with food and drinks?

I'm still grouchy about AirAsia not having "free food/drinks". While I stare at other people eat. cheesy.gif

Hi JacChang - The meal is a separate purchase to the comfort kit - The comfort kit is simply a back cushion and blow up neck rest pillow - Hence I gave no detail of what this contained - since for a 1hr flight seemed a bit of an over kill - But if still interested in this it was priced at 250 Baht.

I know what you are saying about the food thing - I used to buy the meals - After not pre-ordering one - simply because I kind of felt left out, but also on occasion became frustrated that I had done so - being in the wrong seat and being and served near the last - As you wait expectantly wondering when it might arrive and then finally getting the meal - Only to then hear "please fasten seat belts we are about to land" announcement.

Its sometimes I feel it is better to be in control of the process - Maybe a 7/11 purchase of stuff to eat before the flight - Also this give you a head start on the others who have ordered the in-flight meal who are waiting for their drop, eyeing the trolley many aisle seats away.

- In truth for me a 1 hr flight - Its all about reducing the boredom (or possibly sometimes the stress) between sitting down in the seat at the start and then getting out the aircraft at the end of the flight.

• Like 1

This -- U-Style Hotel -- is the hotel we looked at, and toured the rooms, near the airport. But we didn't stay there ourselves, because we already had a reservation elsewhere.

It seemed like a nice place, just a couple years old, and modern style rooms. One downside was they have a karaoke bar downstairs, and it was clear the music could be heard into the upstairs rooms at night.

http://ustylehotel.com/

U Style Hotel is a boutique and budget hotel in Sakon Nakhon Province, opposite to Sakon Nakhon Rajabhat University(Gate 1).We offer clean, cozy and friendly accommodation.

Location info:
2 minutes walk to the local market
7 minutes by car to Sakon Nakhon Airport.
13 minutes by car to Robinson Department Store.

There's also a big older hotel on the opposite corner of the main intersection there alongside the Rajabhat University. From what my wife tells me, the hotel is run by the university as a training ground for the students there.  But when we checked there, they told us all their rooms were pairs of single beds only -- no double or larger beds in the hotel, they claimed.

Brilliant couple of response post  - You contributed in a big way on both posts sharing solid information - Like this a lot.

Post-note: I was originally aiming to stay at the Majestic since they provide a hotel shuttle from the airport - But now looking at the Hotel near the airport - This is a great addition and looks more promising.

Big Thanks

Well, according to the user reviews on Agoda, the best any of the listed hotels in SN get are 3 stars out of 5, and customer reviews of Good, with some 7+ ratings on a 10 point scale. The Majestic and Dusit hotels are among those.

The Dusit page for SN on Agoda says they too offer an airport shuttle service, for a 200 baht fee... sad.png

I was saying to the wife the other day, perhaps with the arrival of AirAsia in SN, one of the various rental car agencies will decide to open a shop/counter there. As I had mentioned above, last time we were there last Christmas, they had naught.

BTW, here's a map link for the Robinson's Lifestyle Center in SN.

http://www.robinson.co.th/store-SakonNakhon-en.html

And here's a Thai site, that can be translated with Google Translate, of an interactive SN map.

http://www.sakonnakhonguide.com/index.php?name=blog&category=7

I do not want to eat during a flight,   I do not want "comfort kits" or red carpet treatment, or be treated like a 45minute squire.  I just want to go from A to B,  the flight to SN is only 50 minutes anyway. 

If you do want to avail those services you can pay extra,  I don't want to subsidise you,  

That is how airasia works,  you pay for what you want to use. 

Edited by parmo2

I do not want to eat during a flight,   I do not want "comfort kits" or red carpet treatment, or be treated like a 45minute squire.  I just want to go from A to B,  the flight to SN is only 50 minutes anyway. 

If you do want to avail those services you can pay extra,  I don't want to subsidise you,  

The reason I was grumpy was because I bought a one way flight to Malaysia by Eva Air, came with top service and great food. Then on the way back, I bought AirAsia, because of the flight availability and timing. And it was more expensive, by 20-30%. Got in the plane, wasn't used to the "budget type airline", where you pick stuffs when you order the ticket. Always usually just pay a ticket and get the "basic needs". And this was an international flight too. So I get on the aircraft, see the trolley coming, but they only serve those who had ordered. Atleast give us water or something lol. So yea, paid more, and got treated like this. Never again. laugh.png

Ok.

But, I like to be treated as a "squire" and so,

I prefer to fly with Bangkok Air from Udon Thani, as long as the flights are only slightly higher priced, or even same priced or cheaper, if you have check in luggage with you.

Full small menu and a bit lounge service, before the flight, is also a treat. thumbsup.gif