What's the right way to deal with insurance after a hit and run (other party) accident?

Shurup

Hey folks, just looking for an advice here, even though my wife has already decided on the course of action, I'm not sure if she's doing it the proper way.

My wife got in a accident after dropping me off at the airport, some bike bumped into the side of our car and the rider stopped just long enough to yap at her and then took off. I have a BlackVue DR550 camera installed in the car (for those who doesn't know, it's Front and Rear camera with GPS system) so the wife got the footage from both cameras. She's absolutely sure it was the other party fault (but this isn't a point of discussion, I'll review the videos though once I'm back to Thailand in a week).

She went to the police and got a report from them, I advised that she went to the insurance pronto to deal with the damage BUT... the insurance will be up for a renewal in 2 months, she wants to wait until then to renew and get her no claim bonus (she's hoping for 30% blink.png off) and then fix the car.

I kind of see the logic but I'm not sure it's the right way of doing things? Surely if it's the other party's fault, their insurance would be fixing the car so her renewal policy should not be affected? That is if they find the bike (I'm sure it will be easy from the HD video footage), and if that rider has an insurance...

Anyways, what are the possible consequences that could backfire when doing things her way (this is Thailand, you don't understand...) and what would you advise? What would you do?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Like 1

That what I said, to over which we got in a little fight and I was told This is Thailand, you don't understand...

Any particular reasons why not to? She might listen to a sound advise instead of just telling her what to do.

• Like 1

You have a certain time period to cake a claim, it is in your policy. I suggest you file a claim immediately.

I'm sure you mean to say "to make a claim" not "to cake a claim", LOL.

That's a good point actually.

However how would they know when the accident happened if she doesn't tell them and doesn't show the video or a police report?

now let's see ... you have an accident today, wait till you claim 30% discount on the new policy but then claim an accident that happened while under the old policy.

Insurance company will say "Why you wait?" to which you smart Mrs will reply what?

They'll reply, sorry, too late, you pay yourself....and by the way, we have cancelled your policy due to fraudulent claim or something similar.

Too many things to go wrong to save 30% off a premium IMO.

• Like 2

All valid points James, but how would they know it happened 2 months back and not yesterday? DO they require the police report for the claim? If so then it will show the accident's date, I don't think she can get another police report for the same accident a few months later? Maybe possible if they don't keep the records, but maybe they do? In either case it is a fraud and I told her that.

What other reasons I can use to convince her?

I got a chap out on his motorbike to examine a vehicle that had scraped mine........before he arrived the other driver and I agreed that as his car was a wreck anyway, no claims would be made.

Fault lay with the other driver and damage to my car was purely a scratch on the bumper.

He left and when the motorcyclist turned up I explained that I wouldn't need to make a claim and the other driver wasn't going to either.

The on my renewal they didn't give me a no claims because on the renewal form it said "fault" 750 baht. It turns out this was the turn out fee for the man on the bike........... that I don't mind paying but claiming it was "my fault" and therefore a claim seems a bit much. After I went to see them they have reduced the renewal few by 1000 baht....(about 10%) - not happy though.

Suppose someone else has a dashcam and recorded the incident, uploads it to youtube, gets seen by your insurance company, who take you to court for insurance fraud. Or perhaps there are CCTV cameras on the roads if it was near the airport. Insurance premium will go up the following year anyways if you make a claim on your new policy. Could change providers of course, and declare no accidents in the past. All depends on how comfortable you are in commiting insurance fraud...

I mean what sort of damage could a bike have done if he was able to drive off?

Has anyone even thought of getting an estimate on the damage and repair cost. It may not even be worth the insurance job?

There's no way anyone gets a 30% break on what passes as NCB in Thailand, not even close.

Your wife is trying to be clever and you already know it isn't worth the hassle, BUT if you dictate what she should do, regardless of it being right and logical, she won't like it and you could experience some contraction in 'services rendered'. It is her decision and if it all works out the way she wants it to, you will probably be up for BJ's and wild sex. However, if the insurance carrier acts like you suggest and she loses out, she won't tell you either as that's a loss of face. However, you may be surprised at some of the 'extras' that she may suddenly open to just by your asking.

Just re-reading the OP and having the expensive BlackVue front/back driver cam with g-shock, wifi and GPS.... and someone hits you on the side.

• Like 1

"she (the wife,my edit) won`t tell you either as that`s a loss of face" Hmmm..,good luck with that one! Being a woman,she will blame you anyway,even more,since that will take away the attention from her..Not logic?? Well,do not expect logic to stand in the way of a useful way of saving face..

Regarding insurance,better keep to the truth,not a big deal worth trying to be smart about.

All valid points James, but how would they know it happened 2 months back and not yesterday? DO they require the police report for the claim? If so then it will show the accident's date, I don't think she can get another police report for the same accident a few months later? Maybe possible if they don't keep the records, but maybe they do? In either case it is a fraud and I told her that.

What other reasons I can use to convince her?

Wouldn't your police report indicate the date?

I mean what sort of damage could a bike have done if he was able to drive off?

Has anyone even thought of getting an estimate on the damage and repair cost. It may not even be worth the insurance job?

There's no way anyone gets a 30% break on what passes as NCB in Thailand, not even close.

Your wife is trying to be clever and you already know it isn't worth the hassle, BUT if you dictate what she should do, regardless of it being right and logical, she won't like it and you could experience some contraction in 'services rendered'. It is her decision and if it all works out the way she wants it to, you will probably be up for BJ's and wild sex. However, if the insurance carrier acts like you suggest and she loses out, she won't tell you either as that's a loss of face. However, you may be surprised at some of the 'extras' that she may suddenly open to just by your asking.

Just re-reading the OP and having the expensive BlackVue front/back driver cam with g-shock, wifi and GPS.... and someone hits you on the side.

Not sure where the biker came from but he took off in the direction she was traveling to so would get on camera, also as they exchanged some yap yap before he took off, the audio was captured as well.

Wife said that something is bent so it may get costly if more than one body panel/door is damaged??? Haven't seen the pictures yet but I know (from experience, ex wife's accident in Canada) the similar damage in Canada could be in Thousands $$$$.... NOt sure how Thailand compairs

On 2 occasions when renewing our insurance, they have insisted on inspecting the vehicle before issuing the policy.

I don't know if this is just a random thing or not.

Also, rainy season now. In 2 months time it will probably be pretty obvious that the damage is not recent.

• Like 1

That what I said, to over which we got in a little fight and I was told This is Thailand, you don't understand...

Any particular reasons why not to? She might listen to a sound advise instead of just telling her what to do.

Find which soap opera has a accident scene depicting someone going straight to the insurance company...

You should know by now that soapies have more weight than legal advice, law. the right thing or morality ...

Edited by thhMan
  • Like 1

She should do it now, or you convince her when you return in 6 days' time.

Apart from that, I was most impressed with your BlackVue DR550 camera. Would you recommend I fit one on my 7 year old Wave 100? It's still in pristine condition, and I want to keep it that way.........

Probably the bike does not have insurance. In which case you'd have to go to the police, file a complaint, etc., and if all is said and done and works out ok your insurance will reclaim your damage from the bike rider. If that is not possible for whatever reason your insurance will pay and it will affect your no claim.

• Like 1

Your wife should go right ahead and get the insurance agency to deal with it. There will be no problem with the no-claim discount. I was hit-and-run side-swiped, with minor damages, once by a pickup on a sharp curve on Doi Inthanon on an out of the way road and did not even make a police report there, but when I took my CRV into Honda, they dealt with everything including police report, and there was no problem. Another time a car backing out of a parking bar in a tightly packed car park hit my car, the young lady called her insurance agent even before I could get there when called over the speakers to come to my car, he called my agent, and all was taken care of again. Neither case affected my no-claim status.

Edited by marieb
  • Like 2

Remember OP does not question what is the right thing to do, but rather asks advice how to convince his wife with the right thing to do.

If she is this dishonest, I would think it is the sign of a bad person. Be mindful, how she might treat you in the future, by being dishonest.

If she does not respect the man is the boss in the home, this is already problematic in Thailand. Ask her what happens if this and this happens? She will have answer ready, but maybe the next day you can ask if the repair price is cheap, you can offer to pay the damages, and then she can be elite as well. I am talking about asking questions with out letting her know you know the answer. Questions like "do the insurance companies share information?" "If we cheat one company, can we make insurance with an other company?" "Can the date be seen on the video and/or police report?". "You can still be an elite if being hit and run?". Now, when the answer is wrong, you don't want to correct her, because she will already thing she is more clever than you, and disagree for that reason. You want to say something like "I am not sure that is how they do, who will be able to answer that question?". When she picks her friend to answer those questions, that is when you need to push for information "higher" places.

Edited by Potter
  • Like 2

She should do it now, or you convince her when you return in 6 days' time.

Apart from that, I was most impressed with your BlackVue DR550 camera. Would you recommend I fit one on my 7 year old Wave 100? It's still in pristine condition, and I want to keep it that way.........

I will try to convince her after I get some sleep, it's been a long flight, if not then I will try again in a week after I come back.

Not sure if your 2nd question is a joke or you're serious. If serious then it won't work on your bike or any bike for that matter, it's not weather proof and it's supposed to be a permanent installation.

On my bike I use my old GoPro HD (can remove it in 15 sec). I drilled a hole in the side of an old housing for the charging cable and siliconed it to make it weather tight again. Since the battery charge isn't an issue anymore, I only need to stop and erase an SD card about every 2 hrs (32Gb card). Cheap insurance.

Forget the NCB. Just go to another company at renewal after claiming. It's always going to be around 15-20k with any company.

My ex made about 5 claims in one year. Renewal time same company was 25k, just went to another for 15k.

Also, you need that police report to get out of paying any policy excess.

The chances of getting the money or claiming on the motorbike are zero!

• Like 2

1) Is the insurance in your name?

2) If it's in your name, do the right thing and claim.

If it's in your wife's name, do it her way.

a) If she's right, win-win situation

B) If she's wrong, she learned the lesson from experience. Atleast she won't blame it on you, you supported her decision.

You have a certain time period to cake a claim, it is in your policy. I suggest you file a claim immediately.

I'm sure you mean to say "to make a claim" not "to cake a claim", LOL.

That's a good point actually.

However how would they know when the accident happened if she doesn't tell them and doesn't show the video or a police report?

Making a claim based on lies is not a very good way to start!

Do you believe they will not ask the date and place of the incident!

Better to bake a cake........

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update. After some talking and reasoning, she went to her insurance and showed them the video. They said the bike was at fault but regardless, she has a 1st class insurance so everything should be covered.

The damage is deep scratch about 6-7 inch long on the passenger door.

• Like 1

Update. After some talking and reasoning, she went to her insurance and showed them the video. They said the bike was at fault but regardless, she has a 1st class insurance so everything should be covered.

The damage is deep scratch about 6-7 inch long on the passenger door.

Any policy excess to pay?

If there is, might be cheaper just to get it fixed yourselves?