Lao woman with Bt30 million held at border

Lite Beer

Lao woman with Bt30 million held at border
The Nation

MUKDAHAN: -- A 42-year-old Laotian was detained in the border province of Mukdahan yesterday for allegedly trying to smuggle Bt30 million in cash out of the country.

The woman who was identified only as Matapon was stopped and her car searched at a checkpoint at Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge II in the province. Police were acting on a tip-off.

At first, she refused to be searched, saying she wanted to wait for her lawyer.

However, when her lawyer did not show up, the military officers called on Mukdahan police to join the search. Eventually the suspect, who remained seated in the car, agreed to the search and opened the door.

A total of Bt30 million in cash was discovered hidden under the front and back seats. The notes still had bank tags attached to them.

The suspect later admitted that the money was hers, but refused to say where she got it.

She was charged of trying to take more than US$20,000 out of the country without permission.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Lao-woman-with-Bt30-million-held-at-border-30240603.html

[thenation]2014-08-09[/thenation]

Where do they get these 'tip offs' from ?

The 'tip off' system in Thailand must be highly efficient as I find myself reading about it all the time in high profile cases where evidence appears to have appeared from nowhere.

It's called 'intelligence'. And I don't mean being smart.
  • Like 1

The 'tip off' system in Thailand must be highly efficient as I find myself reading about it all the time in high profile cases where evidence appears to have appeared from nowhere.

Just like the drug mules, they get tipped off about one .... but another five get thru
  • Like 1

It is called revenge, and sometimes envy.

A total of Bt30 million in cash was discovered hidden under the front and back seats. The notes still had bank tags attached to them.

With only 1000 baht as the largest denomination, not so easy to conceal 30,000,000.00 in cash... as the Lao lady discovered.

557000009326003.JPEGblank.gif

557377-01.jpg
  • Like 1

I'm guessing withdrawing 30 million baht from a bank would raise a few questions.

If you have ever seen the inside of a Thai cell, its not that hard to imagine where they get so many tip offs from.

I'm guessing withdrawing 30 million baht from a bank would raise a few questions.

Minor correction. I think the "would" should be "should", but this being Thailand ... ...

I think withdrawing 3 million baht would raise a few questions. But 30 Baht won't anymore, specially if there is much more on the bank account.

Everywhere the same......1 Million Euro and you are a bad guy and go in jail. 1 billion Euro and you are invited everywhere.

• Like 1

Laotian vietnamese, see the cone hat. There are tons of them by the border towns of Laos. Champansake, Savanakhet, etc. Probably a currency exchanger. They make a killing just sitting at the window. 1kip 3baht, 1kip 3baht for example or 1baht 1thousand vietnamese dongs for example. All the foreign tourists eventually go through them.

One can only imagine the yelling and screaming on any number of phone calls that transpired while she was waiting for her "lawyer".

Somebody in Laos is having a very bad day today.

You can see from the pictures she is not happy.

No doubt used to being waved through.

Why attempt to take millions of Thai Baht outside Thailand? There must be a serious reason not to do it in USD., or in gold. Who'd exchange 30M. Baht in another currency outside Thailand? Whether the money was set to come back to Thailand 'later', or to pay Thais or Thai companies 'abroad' for some smelly business, I suspect, maybe part of a corruption money pay-off. Anyways, this was such a major stupid move, utterly amateuristic in its execution, that many questions arise: do 'they' have the IQ of average slugs, do 'they' have billions and don't care to lose a bit, did 'they' pay some people off to close an eye (or both) but the guy(s) weren't in control, didn't 'they' tell the lady clearly where and when she had to cross the border, were 'they' to transport something much more valuable across the border and used the lady as a decoy, etc., but, especially, who can 'they' be? When it are really original bank straps around the bills, it shouldn't need Sherlock Holme's contribution to unraffle the case...

Guess she never heard of bitcoin.
A few quick questions jump out.
Something like this you would think that she would be able to buy her way out. Is she just stupid? There's less corruption now? Something like this should be easy to investigate and look for large withdraws recently from bank. If I had 10 minutes with her phone I could probably figure out a lot out. Clear Lake, said she made it all the way to the news reports she failed to do the simplest things which could have avoided all of this hassle.
With several hundred miles of border most of it on a river, she could have easily just gotta ride across the river for 100 baht. Are there she is very stupid, very queasy, or scared of getting her fingers cut off if she shows up short on cash on

Sent from my iris456 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The banks do. I had an experience in Andorra in 1990. Their employees notify the 'officials'. Some make the news, some don't because settled on the spot.