Savannakhet border "scam"

This is correct. The LAK is an article XIV currency and none of the Art 14 currencies,about 15 of them, can be exchanged internationally. Other countries operate currency regulations to limit the amount of local currency that may be taken from the country, Thailand being one. In the absence of local regulations the international limit for undeclared currency is the equivalent of 10K USD.

So how do you pay for any meal you might want to eat in (or any night you might want to spend in) Savannakhet before you cross over back into LOS?

The only beneficiaries of visa payments in USD are, of course, American nationals with USA bank accounts who are able to obtain the necessary cash through ATM withdrawals during trips back home at a 1:1 exchange rate and zero commission! Going by the title of this thread, the rest of us are, I think, "scammed" every which way - by the banking industry as much as by Laotian officialdom.

You can use THB or USD or LAK. Generally the best currency to pay for things inside of Laos would be LAK.

As I said before, I got into Laos at Tha Kaek (at the third friendship bridge) for 1200 baht, which is a fair price considering the visa does cost 35 USD.

In the case of the first and second friendship bridge they make you pay 1500 baht for the same visa, which is a currency conversion hit of around 350 baht. Not something to be overly worried about.

In the case you would need to make continued visits to Savan or Vientiane, you could try and withdraw LAK on your next trip, and bring it with you on your further trips and see if you can pay for the visa using LAK (as claimed by one poster) would be interesting to know how the exchange rate would be on this scenario.

300,000 Kip is what I was quoted. This is about 1150 Baht. Still better than paying in Baht but you can always get USD at the moneychangers right next to Lao immigration, as long as you don't arrive too early (say before 7 or 8am) or too late (after 7 or 8pm), which is when these banks/moneychangers will be closed.

1150 baht sounds like the right amount for a 35 USD visa, they can keep the 20 baht difference :)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certain amount ? what is the certain amount ? And what can you take out of India ?

sjaak327 More misinformation. You most certainly CAN pay for the visa in LAK. Why the hell wouldn't they accept their own currency given that there is now a law stating that all prices of goods and services MUST be in Kip.

I have asked about paying in Kip and the answer was YES.

Hmm, I have entered Laos many many times, and was never allowed to pay with Kip. Did you actually pay for your visa in Kip ?

Yes. In the past they might not have wanted to accept Kip, but now with the government decree to force all retailers to accept only Kip (even if the law is still not being followed or enforced properly) along with the stability of the currency now means that Kip is acceptable. However, as we already know, USD is the way to go unless you are stuck in a situation where you can't get access to US dollars (i.e. banks/moneychangers on both the Thai and Lao sides are closed due to being too early or too late in the day). In that case ATMs on the Lao side at least allow you to take out Kip for paying the visa fee.

You can also use Vietnamese Dong to pay for your visa if coming into Laos via overland checkpoints from Vietnam. Chinese Yuan are accepted if coming from China. I have heard some reports that even Baht is acceptable for paying the visa fee if coming from China (but haven't heard anything to suggest you can use Baht if coming from Vietnam). I assume that Khmer Riel however are NOT acceptable if coming from Cambodia as the US dollar is the de-facto currency in Cambodia and thus the Riel is useless in that respect.

As is now apparent, things change. So you know since when it is possible to pay with LAK for the visa ?

I am also quite surprised LAK can be exchanged with ease in Thailand, this too apparently has changed quite recently, as I know several people who have tried to do so in BKK and were unable to. I personally return to Laos quite often, so I have never tried this myself.

Then ad an extra 40 bahts for entry fee (and exit fee) at the booth to pay the guy who stamp your visa because these guys are policemen and not immigration officers. One day they will charge 500 bahts for farangs.

You can refuse, grab your passport and walk away once he stamped it. They hide now their corrupted money under their table but Thai pay the 40 bahts because they think it' s normal to pay.

This is an entry fee of 10,000 kip (40 Baht). It is not 'corrupted money'. Lao citizens or foreigners with a business visa do not pay this fee. Nothing corrupt about it whatsoever. It hasn't changed in the last 10 years or so. What makes you think they will raise it to 500 Baht?

There is no entry fee. Ask for a receipt and see!

that s the problem with you, corruption become accepted if nobody fight against it.

Been in Thailand and Lao for years and have seen all sort of corruption.

I can make the difference between a fine you pay at the police office with panels and receipt and a guy who ask your foreign money and hide it under his table.....

Wake up!

Edited by bitcoinman
  • Like 2

Then ad an extra 40 bahts for entry fee (and exit fee) at the booth to pay the guy who stamp your visa because these guys are policemen and not immigration officers. One day they will charge 500 bahts for farangs.

You can refuse, grab your passport and walk away once he stamped it. They hide now their corrupted money under their table but Thai pay the 40 bahts because they think it' s normal to pay.

This is an entry fee of 10,000 kip (40 Baht). It is not 'corrupted money'. Lao citizens or foreigners with a business visa do not pay this fee. Nothing corrupt about it whatsoever. It hasn't changed in the last 10 years or so. What makes you think they will raise it to 500 Baht?

that s the problem with you, corruption become accepted if nobody fight against it.

I can make the difference between a fine you pay at the police office with panels and receipt and a guy who ask your foreign money and hide it under his table.....

Wake up!

it is what it is. I have been crossing the Nakhom Phanom - Tha Kaek border crossing for years (using the ferry across the Mekhong, before the bridge was opened) and apart from the usual 10 baht/10K overtime fee (only levied on Saturdays or Sundays) you only had to pay the ferry (and for Laos obviously the visa fee).

Of course all of sudden, on the Thai side, there was the "Nakhom Phanom harbour fee" which was 40 baht a piece, including a receipt. Of course, nothing changed at that border crossing at all, so it was just a way to pocket some additional money for NP province.

This is correct. The LAK is an article XIV currency and none of the Art 14 currencies,about 15 of them, can be exchanged internationally. Other countries operate currency regulations to limit the amount of local currency that may be taken from the country, Thailand being one. In the absence of local regulations the international limit for undeclared currency is the equivalent of 10K USD.

So how do you pay for any meal you might want to eat in (or any night you might want to spend in) Savannakhet before you cross over back into LOS?

The only beneficiaries of visa payments in USD are, of course, American nationals with USA bank accounts who are able to obtain the necessary cash through ATM withdrawals during trips back home at a 1:1 exchange rate and zero commission! Going by the title of this thread, the rest of us are, I think, "scammed" every which way - by the banking industry as much as by Laotian officialdom.

In the same way as everyone else does. I have that problem regularly in transit.

When I went to Laos last year I only ever spent Thai Baht.

But can you pay for meals and accommodation in USD instead of the THB? Or is the LAK the only alternative?

But can you pay for meals and accommodation in USD instead of the THB? Or is the LAK the only alternative?

At border towns normally everything is accepted. Then to know for sure what is best deal by paying and how much and in which currency becomes an exercise in itself. Since normally the difference is small anyway, most people don't bother and just go with what they got.

As is now apparent, things change. So you know since when it is possible to pay with LAK for the visa ?

I am also quite surprised LAK can be exchanged with ease in Thailand, this too apparently has changed quite recently, as I know several people who have tried to do so in BKK and were unable to. I personally return to Laos quite often, so I have never tried this myself.

I'd say in the past 1-2 years or so. Back in January is when I asked about paying in Kip and the answer was yes. This was at the main Vientiane crossing coming from Nong Khai (1st Thai-Lao friendship bridge).

As for exchanging LAK at Bangkok Bank branches, this is also new, in the past 2 years or so. So far only BKK Bank branches will exchange LAK from what I can gather, but that could change in the near future. As mentioned, some of the bigger moneychangers in Bangkok will also exchange LAK, but for some reason not Super Rich. Similarly, both Bangkok Bank and Super rich will take Vietnamese Dong, which wasn't the case 2-3 years ago.

At border towns normally everything is accepted. Then to know for sure what is best deal by paying and how much and in which currency becomes an exercise in itself. Since normally the difference is small anyway, most people don't bother and just go with what they got.

True, though USD aren't as easy to use if you were eating at some local roadside stall not used to seeing foreigners in the middle of nowhere, that just happens to be near the border. In that case Baht would be better. For everything else (tourist related businesses such as hotels, car rental, mid or high end restaurants, tour operators etc.) any of these three currencies and even occasionally EUR is acceptable in the tourist towns in Laos, which are mostly located near the Thai border anyway (except Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng, both of which are more than 100km from the nearest Thai border).

Make a definite point to give them the exact dollar amount. You are just giving them an excuse to deny you, which is exactly what they look for.

Further, my unsolicited advice is this: at all borders across the world, the immigration officials just seem to look for any excuse they can find. It is kinda our job when crossing to give them as few as possible. This includes yes no answers when possible, clarity, exact change...........

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

I'd say in the past 1-2 years or so. Back in January is when I asked about paying in Kip and the answer was yes. This was at the main Vientiane crossing coming from Nong Khai (1st Thai-Lao friendship bridge).

As for exchanging LAK at Bangkok Bank branches, this is also new, in the past 2 years or so. So far only BKK Bank branches will exchange LAK from what I can gather, but that could change in the near future. As mentioned, some of the bigger moneychangers in Bangkok will also exchange LAK, but for some reason not Super Rich. Similarly, both Bangkok Bank and Super rich will take Vietnamese Dong, which wasn't the case 2-3 years ago.

Bangkok Bank do, indeed, include both the LAK & VND in their foreign exchange rates list - see http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx

True, though USD aren't as easy to use if you were eating at some local roadside stall not used to seeing foreigners in the middle of nowhere, that just happens to be near the border. In that case Baht would be better. For everything else (tourist related businesses such as hotels, car rental, mid or high end restaurants, tour operators etc.) any of these three currencies and even occasionally EUR is acceptable in the tourist towns in Laos, which are mostly located near the Thai border anyway (except Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng, both of which are more than 100km from the nearest Thai border).

Many thanks, chaps. Sounds like it might be a good idea to take a fistful of currencies (and not just of dollars) with you on trips to Laos then!

Bangkok Bank do, indeed, include both the LAK & VND in their foreign exchange rates list - see http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx

Thanks for the link, although the rates are pretty bad. Might as well save them for subsequent trips. 250K will get you 907 baht.

the Dong would also be a useless currency just a few years ago, things change quickly or so it seems.

Edited by sjaak327

As far as I know that amount is zero. Regardless, you cannot do anything with LAK outside of Laos, and you certainly cannot pay your visa with it.

Well that official hoopla isn't quite correct in the real world. Here in Thailand, LAK can be exchanged without too much trouble. All Bangkok Bank branches dealing in foreign exchange will buy them off you, although in the reverse direction you might have to wait a few days for them to order some in, except possibly at branches near the Lao border (such as Nong Khai or Udon Thani) with lots of Lao and Thai travelers heading in both directions. Some moneychangers in Bangkok also deal with them, including the one on Phahonyothin road close to MBK between MBK and the Asia Hotel.

You are right in what you say but it is all unofficial. A currency needs to have Art 8 status for guaranteed redemption by the originating central bank. Only pointing out the official position.

Wake up!

I don't need to ask for a receipt as I don't pay the fee. You are the one who is paying the fee not me, therefore you are accepting the 'corruption' rolleyes.gif

Wake up!

"I can make the difference between a fine you pay at the police office with panels and receipt and a guy who ask your foreign money and hide it under his table....."

Sorry, I have no idea what this means.

Thanks for the link, although the rates are pretty bad. Might as well save them for subsequent trips. 250K will get you 907 baht.

the Dong would also be a useless currency just a few years ago, things change quickly or so it seems.

That's not the worst exchange rate - normally it's 260 Kip per Baht in Laos so you're less than 50 Baht worse off by exchanging at BKK Bank. It's still better to exchange Kip back to Baht in Laos, but the option is there if you haven't got the time or for whatever other reason weren't able to do so in Laos before leaving.

For Dong, the exchange rates are about the same in Thailand compared to Vietnam. Given the ease with which you can now exchange either currency in each others country - I'd say bring Baht to Vietnam, exchange for Dong and if you have any leftover Dong you can either exchange them back to Baht in Vietnam, or perhaps better yet, in Thailand at Super Rich or Bangkok Bank.

Indeed a few years ago Dong was useless outside of Vietnam but these days you can even exchange them at some Australian banks and moneychangers! Of course only a few countries with strong connections to Vietnam will take them or can sell them to you, from my experience there are: Hong Kong, mainland China (mostly Guangxi and Yunnan provinces), Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore and Australia. In most other countries you'll probably still find them completely useless to exchange.

Wake up!

I don't need to ask for a receipt as I don't pay the fee. You are the one who is paying the fee not me, therefore you are accepting the 'corruption' rolleyes.gif

Wake up!

"I can make the difference between a fine you pay at the police office with panels and receipt and a guy who ask your foreign money and hide it under his table....."

Sorry, I have no idea what this means.

I don't like to pay extortionist fees either, hate it actually. This one in particular however I also give in because the risk of some immigration official sprouting a wild hair vs losing 1 US dollar is worth it for me.

I agree with you both though, whoever pays these fees (ie me, haha) is part of the problem. We are legitimizing corruption.

Interestingly, I did actually ask for a receipt once, didn't get one.

• Like 1

For people who don't know where the "tax" entry fee is , it s on the Bridge in mukdahan. No all "tax". It s voluntary... :) (like irs tax)

You won't get a receipt, you will get instead your passport back. Usually I say politely I have no money. They don't seem to insist but I see many Thai having 40 bahts ready in their hand.

Next time I will give them some coins if they ask. British coins... Or USA penny or bitcoins on a wallet paper.

Their x ray detector is a joke as well!

Edited by bitcoinman

For people who don't know where the "tax" entry fee is , it s on the Bridge in mukdahan. No all "tax". It s voluntary... smile.png (like irs tax)

You won't get a receipt, you will get instead your passport back. Usually I say politely I have no money. They don't seem to insist but I see many Thai having 40 bahts ready in their hand.

Next time I will give them some coins if they ask. British coins... Or USA penny or bitcoins on a wallet paper.

Their x ray detector is a joke as well!

Did they Xray your bag also ?