Savannakhet border "scam"

Hi everybody,

Just coming back from Laos where I had an unpleasant experience just before entering Laos.

Filled my forms, handed my passport and a 50 USD bill to pay my 30 USD Laos visa.

The guy called me back with a "fake smile" telling me the banknote wouldn't be good.

"Indeed", the banknote has a ridiculous less than 1mm little scratch on the long upper side... !

So, I was "invited" to pay in thai baht, are their ridiculous exchange rate (30 USD = 1500 THB ) and got ripped off at least 550 B.

I used the 50 USD to pay at the restaurant just after, no problem at all...

So, well, not only pay in dollars at the border, but also make sure your notes are absolutely perfect !

• Like 2

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had that at other Lao border, the notes have to be perfect, also they do not like giving change. Lucky at Chong Mek cos there is a bank a few yards away to get good dollars. Your lesson learned...smile.png

• Like 1

"So, I was "invited" to pay in thai baht, are their ridiculous exchange rate (30 USD = 1500 THB ) and got ripped off at least 550 B."

Something is wrong here - I'll take all the Baht that they want to sell at 50 Baht per USD. ... or are you saying the other way around ? 1500 THB = 30 USD ? ... they were charging you in THB and not doing an exchange ? ie the charge is 30 USD or 1500 Baht

• Like 1

The charge is 30USD or 1500bt, this is displayed and no mention of exchange rates are made. I always pay in Baht and don't feel I have been scammed. No merchant has to accept payment from a customer, it is entirely their discretion.

totster :)

• Like 1

30 USD at normal exchange rate 1 USD = 32 B = 30 x 32 = 960 B

But instead they asked me to pay 1500 THB instead of 30 USD, that's their "change rate".

1500 B - 960 = 540 B in their pockets...

You assume they will be changing it to USD, which they won't of course.

But instead they asked me to pay 1500 THB instead of 30 USD, that's their "change rate".

totster smile.png

They won't ? You're not Laotian, are you ? ;-)

Going into Cambodia for a boarder run , the story will be:

If you do not stay overnight, you can not pay in dollar, pay in baht - at our exchange rate.

Ah you have e visa? Good, now go and pay exit fee.

Alternative: use a Thai tout that operates in plain view of Thai Immigration. You will then pay only the official fee + a convenience fee for his service. Total amount: same same.....

Sometimes I think that Thai, Lao and Khmer officials have a really good working relation.

• Like 2

This has already been reported by many people. The 1500 baht was set when the exchange rate was closer to US$40. When the exchange rate dropped to about $30, they started refusing dollar payments, so it is obvious they are pocketing the difference. Put it this way, if you can make more in a day than you normally do in a month, what would you do? The drop in exchange rate is like winning the lottery to these guys.

When I get scammed out of a few baht I always tend to smile and think,' well done you got me'

450 baht, how will you ever be able to go on ?

Exact they got me...just want to report here to make sure they won't get others, that's my only point.

totster smile.png

They won't ? You're not Laotian, are you ? ;-)

I am not sure why my nationality is important...

When I get scammed out of a few baht I always tend to smile and think,' well done you got me'

Exact they got me...just want to report here to make sure they won't get others, that's my only point.

"get others" ??? 55555555

"well" done? What do you mean?

"well" as in clever, outwitting? Surely not.

They just simply abuse their power, that's all.

Just take it, stiff upper lip, but PLEASE do not condone it.

• Like 1

For most people it is $35 or 1500 baht. I don't recall anybody only being charged $30.

The Lao government has not bothered to change their exchange since it was about 43 baht to the dollar.

If you had the correct amount they probably would of accepted it.

What I mean is what I say.

Well done to the toilet attendant who only gives me change from 5 baht instead of 10.

Never thought of a toilet cleaner being powerful before.

Well done to the toilet attendant who only gives me change from 5 baht instead of 10.

You are absolutely right!

Sometimes yes people get scammed because they are just plainly stupid, as in your example.

• Like 1

totster smile.png

yes why ? didn't get the joke ?

totster smile.png

yes why ? didn't get the joke ?

This topic is a joke... scammed indeed.. lol

You're lucky you only pay ฿1500 last time I crossed the border 6 years ago I had to pay, I think it was ฿1800, when I asked why so much, they said because I was Canadian.

For a Canadian it is $41. So 1800 baht is about right.

I can remember paying 1500 baht back in 2002. Which would of been about $35 then.

You're lucky you only pay ฿1500 last time I crossed the border 6 years ago I had to pay, I think it was ฿1800, when I asked why so much, they said because I was Canadian.

Most european countries pay 30 USD, beside Sweden who has to pay...31 USD, quite funny scheme biggrin.png

You are absolutely right!

Sometimes yes people get scammed because they are just plainly stupid, as in your example.

That depends on what you consider to be stupid.

For me if someone gives me 5 baht less than they should for doing a job like cleaning toilets then even tho I noticed it, I wouldnt bother to say anything.

It is not something I would worry about, maybe best to consider it a tip.

There is a difference between giving a tip to a lowly paid worker, and being extorted money by a government official.

There is a difference between being extorted money by a government worker, and the exchange rate fluctuation.

Different rates for different countries...always best to have exact US dollars than exchange to baht..I believe it's $42 US for Canadians & $35 US for Americans.