Savannakhet border "scam"

Good info on this thread.

If going to Laos bring exact change and new crisp bills and to be on the safe side perhaps some backup dollars.

I am curious if you get a receipt and if the receipt lists which currency was paid.

"Overtime" is interesting. Well worth paying an extra dollar to enter at nights and weekend.

I would imagine that's not on the receipt.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the Swiss it is free. No visa required. I think maybe the top government officials have a special arrangement with the Swiss banks. A Swiss friend of mine living near the border crosses regularly just for the duty free shopping.

They do need a visa, just do not have to pay. When I went into Laos last year the guy in the queue beside me was Swiss, had to pay 100 baht for something, possibly photocopy. Nice guy, paid mine at the same time and said his visa was free.

It is $35 USD for UK passports.

I think you will find they are visa exempt and get stamped in for 15 days. Similar to the ASEAN member states. My friend says he only pays 40 baht. Travels there quite often and does not loose a whole page of his passport each time (small status country, big visa syndrome), unlike me.

I experienced that at the Lao border too back in January at the Vientiane (Tha Deua) crossing around 9.30pm. I had come in on my Aussie passport since my Thai non-B extension is in that passport so was a bit pissed I couldn't use my Swiss passport (which would mean 15 days free!) but when it came time to pay, one of my US$5 notes was a bit too soiled. I remember receiving that note as change the previous day at Poipet, Cambodia, where soiled US$, as long as they aren't in horrible condition are normally accepted.

As I usually do, I brought the exact amount of money in US$ with me as firstly, that's all I had left and secondly, after passing through Thai territory and driving from Aranyaprathet via Bangkok to Nong Khai I needed Baht to pay for fuel, etc. so whatever I had left the previous day I exchanged into Baht in Poipet except for the $30 visa fee. Earlier the previous day I had ridden inside a taxi from Phnom Penh so it wasn't my fault that the note I got as change was soiled, I was transporting goods from Vietnam to Laos via Cambodia and Thailand hence something as trivial as the condition of a US$5 didn't go through my mind - it was 7pm, we were tired and I still had another 3 hours or so to drive inside Thailand and then a big day the next day.

The visa guy didn't want to accept that note (first time I ever had problems with any currency in Laos except for a couple of exchange places in Vientiane that strangely, didn't want to exchange my Chinese Yuan on previous trips!) and I asked if he could accept a combination of Baht and US$ or Kip/Baht and US$. He said you have to pay all in one currency, any one of those 3 being fine. Hardly any foreigners seem to know that Kip is perfectly acceptable for the visa fee too and while you'll pay more than in US$, you'll pay less than in Baht (there's an ATM right next to immigration which dispenses Kip). The Kip amount requested amounted to 1180 Baht for a US$30 + 1 visa (at least not 1500 Baht!) and since the bank next door was closed, I couldn't exchange my Baht to US$ as I've previously done there when I arrived earlier in the day on previous occasions without US$.

Luckily for me I saw a US citizen, who appeared to be of Lao descent there. I asked her in Lao if she had change, or I could give her Baht or something. The only other money I had on me was maybe a couple of hundred Baht, a small amount of Kip and CHF 100. I showed the 100 Swiss Francs to the visa officer but I wasn't really planning on giving it to him even if had accepted it mainly because I probably would have been duped on the exchange rate. Also, I did not have any plans to withdraw any money from an ATM so cash was my only option. The lady only had a US$100 bill so that didn't work (unless she would have taken my CHF 100 off of me but I didn't ask her).

So my next plan was to convince the visa guy to give her my US$5 as change when she paid for her visa with her US$100 bill. He told me to ask her for approval first - I thought, well why would she care? She's American, presumably lives there and of course she can spend that note back home! But I asked her anyway and she agreed, after which he gave her that note as change and everything was settled. My car was waiting at the border with my Vietnamese friend and finally we were able to leave at close to 10pm, once the visa was processed.

We can laugh about it but recently i exchanged money for $1000 US and the lady was counting and getting the receipt,, during the chit chat she asked where i was travelling

and more chit chat, then she abruptly stopped looked at me and told me that i should come back tomorrow that she would get brand new notes to give me,, i was happy with that

so it seems this issue is active amongst travelers like us that travel for necessity rather than a week of fun, it has happened to me and its frustrating to be in that situation where

i have gone with the correct amount of money for a transaction only to be refused,, once bitten now i even iron my money,, one blemish on any note and i refuse the note,, funny

that when i first traveled Thailand i would give money to a stall (maybe market) and get back the dirtiest oldest note i can imagine,, never thought much about it until shopping

with my girlfriend once she argued with a stallholder that tried it again with me and she argued in Thai, the translation was that,,, don't worry he is a falang she replied

but it's also my money,, that changed the scene completely,, so it's seems we are taken for a ride if they can, so NOW if i get old notes given to me i refuse and give them back or

kick up a scene and stand my ground,, it works,, stuff them, don't rip me off. Unfortunately in Laos all the notes are really old and older,, good luck.

• Like 1

For the Swiss it is free. No visa required. I think maybe the top government officials have a special arrangement with the Swiss banks. A Swiss friend of mine living near the border crosses regularly just for the duty free shopping.

They do need a visa, just do not have to pay. When I went into Laos last year the guy in the queue beside me was Swiss, had to pay 100 baht for something, possibly photocopy. Nice guy, paid mine at the same time and said his visa was free.

It is $35 USD for UK passports.

I think you will find they are visa exempt and get stamped in for 15 days. Similar to the ASEAN member states. My friend says he only pays 40 baht. Travels there quite often and does not loose a whole page of his passport each time (small status country, big visa syndrome), unlike me.

Swiss pay 5 Baht for the card at immigration at the 1st friendship bridge, while Thais pay 40 Baht for the same thing. You are exempt from these charges if you are the driver or passenger of a car - the card is only for passengers without their own cars (includes bus passengers on international buses). I am not sure if the card system is being used at other bridge crossing points but as of late 2012 at the second friendship bridge (Mukdahan to Savannakhet) I drove a car across the bridge but didn't see any evidence of that card system there anyway. So it sounds like it's only at Vientiane for now.

Sandyf, Swiss DON'T need a visa to enter Laos for up to 15 days (I'm Swiss BTW). For 16 - 30 days, a visa can be obtained in the same way as for other nationalities and costs around US$30 I think.

• Like 1

For most people it is $35 or 1500 baht. I don't recall anybody only being charged $30.

The Lao government has not bothered to change their exchange since it was about 43 baht to the dollar.

If you had the correct amount they probably would of accepted it.

Actually for most people it's US$30, though a few exceptions apply. Aussies certainly always pay US$30 and I recall seeing Americans only paying US$30 too (at least at the airport in VTE).

I have had that at other Lao border, the notes have to be perfect, also they do not like giving change. Lucky at Chong Mek cos there is a bank a few yards away to get good dollars. Your lesson learned...smile.png

That's also the way its done in Sydney at the Consul General's office. Cash and no change.

They do send you away, if you don't have it. The exact amount that is.

Its been like that a long time.

You're lucky you only pay ฿1500 last time I crossed the border 6 years ago I had to pay, I think it was ฿1800, when I asked why so much, they said because I was Canadian.

Most european countries pay 30 USD, beside Sweden who has to pay...31 USD, quite funny scheme biggrin.png

I had to pay $30 and 50 Baht in April as they didn't have $19 in change. Now in August they just gave me $20 back when I handed them a $50 bill. He wante me to pay in Baht first but I told him "Mai mee" and shoved him a bunch of dollar bills.

Lao VOA fees.

Country Price (US Dollar)

Australia 30

Canada 42

China 20

India 40

Sweden 31

USA 35

UK 35

Others 30

Source: http://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-on-arrival.html#visafee
Would love an explanation of how these figures were reached for each nationality.

What did India and Canada ever do to Laos People's Democratic Republic???

French and USA I would understand, but India and Canada????

Baffled.

Lao VOA fees.

Country Price (US Dollar)

Australia 30

Canada 42

China 20

India 40

Sweden 31

USA 35

UK 35

Others 30

Source: http://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-on-arrival.html#visafee
Would love an explanation of how these figures were reached for each nationality.

What did India and Canada ever do to Laos People's Democratic Republic???

French and USA I would understand, but India and Canada????

Baffled.

It's based on reciprocity, although approximately.

For example a visa for Canada cost (in the US) $90. For China, $30. For India, $60.

• Like 2

When traveling from Vietnam to Laos by bus, i was forced to reenter Vietnam to find an ATM (miles away) to pay for my Indonesian ex-GF's Laos visa which she wasn't supposed to need.

I was scammed more times in Laos than any other country.

Yep, same for me.

In other countries there are also scams of course, but it whether requires your inattention or it's about 1-2 usd so it's not worth worrying too much about.

Had also my gf extorted thousands of bahts 2 years ago, and many other problems.

Laos is now truly pissing me off, it's like you need to read a whole book about Laos scams before you want to cross its border sad.png

Laos Border Scams for dummies, any good book writer here ? :-D

I find your post amazing. Having lived in Laos for over 10 years, I can honestly tell you I have never been scammed. Do you find that this happens everywhere you go? Just wondering.

When traveling from Vietnam to Laos by bus, i was forced to reenter Vietnam to find an ATM (miles away) to pay for my Indonesian ex-GF's Laos visa which she wasn't supposed to need.

Yep, same for me.

In other countries there are also scams of course, but it whether requires your inattention or it's about 1-2 usd so it's not worth worrying too much about.

Had also my gf extorted thousands of bahts 2 years ago, and many other problems.

Laos is now truly pissing me off, it's like you need to read a whole book about Laos scams before you want to cross its border sad.png

I find your post amazing. Having lived in Laos for over 10 years, I can honestly tell you I have never been scammed. Do you find that this happens everywhere you go? Just wondering.

Good question.

I have been to many countries in SE Asia, been living in Thailand 5 years, and I must say I think people quite honest..

Only thing that happened was once at PP airport when they "forgot" to give me my change back...but even there, asking them where the change is, solved the problem.

But Laos, well, there's a huge problem with this country, but I don't mean with Lao people, only with people at the border or business people.

I remember my gf was let in Laos with her only thai ID card, and been told there is no problem, she wouldn't need any visa.

When she came back to Thailand they started to ask her something like 12 000 THB, yes, 12000...finally she managed to bring it down to 4000B, but that's still painful :-(

Yep, same for me.

Good question.

I have been to many countries in SE Asia, been living in Thailand 5 years, and I must say I think people quite honest..

Only thing that happened was once at PP airport when they "forgot" to give me my change back...but even there, asking them where the change is, solved the problem.

But Laos, well, there's a huge problem with this country, but I don't mean with Lao people, only with people at the border or business people.

I remember my gf was let in Laos with her only thai ID card, and been told there is no problem, she wouldn't need any visa.

When she came back to Thailand they started to ask her something like 12 000 THB, yes, 12000...finally she managed to bring it down to 4000B, but that's still painful :-(

So, your girlfriend broke the law by entering the country without the correct visa/paperwork, when she was caught and fined she managed to reduce the fine by a considerable amount... and you still complain!?!

Is there any chance that your gf was told she could only visit Vientiane province on her ID card, if she wished to go further she would need a passport, and she forgot to inform you of this?

When entering Laos, she has been told by the officer, no problem you can enter Laos with your ID card.

When she came back, the rule had changed, so yes, I do complain, and big time.

She doesn't meet the requirements, don't let her in then.

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed posting error

When entering Laos, she has been told by the officer, no problem you can enter Laos with your ID card.

Did she have a border pass? Thais cannot enter with only an ID card.

• Like 1

Unless it's changed recently ..Thais could enter laos with their ID card but only for 3 days I believe..counting the day going in...so possible in this case they were over the 3 days.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed to be back in Thailand this evening with a new Non O in my passport ?

--------

Pick up next day... in Vientiane.

And being a holiday... You will enjoy Laos hospitality for a while longer.

That is why I posted in the Savvanakhet thread, cause I'm in Savannakhet.

Fingers crossed I will still be back in Thailand this evening :)

Nice try though...

Fingers crossed to be back in Thailand this evening with a new Non O in my passport ?

--------

Fingers crossed I will still be back in Thailand this evening :)

Nice try though...

Oops.... sorry...my bad!

--------

Fingers crossed I will still be back in Thailand this evening smile.png

Nice try though...

Oops.... sorry...my bad!

Well you could stay another night and enjoy Savanakh....... oh wait a minute facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Unless it's changed recently ..Thais could enter laos with their ID card but only for 3 days I believe..counting the day going in...so possible in this case they were over the 3 days.

A Thai cannot just walk up show their ID card and cross the border. They have to apply for and obtain a border pass and pay 30 baht for.it.

A border pass is good for 3 days.

• Like 2

A Thai cannot just walk up show their ID card and cross the border. They have to apply for and obtain a border pass and pay 30 baht for.it.

A border pass is good for 3 days.

Also, I believe they can only stay in the province where it was obtained. This is why I believe the OP had problems.

• Like 1

When I went to Vientiane. I normally pay in US but this time I was lazy and paid 1500 in Thai baht. I told them this worth 45 USD and the Immigration officer gave me a blank stare. I was scammed out of 15 USD.

Edited by PLW

When I went to Vientiane. I normally pay in US but this time I was lazy and paid 1500 in Thai baht. I told them this worth 45 USD and the Immigration officer gave me a blank stare. I was scammed out of 15 USD.

That'll teach you.

• Like 1

You were not scammed. You paid the fee that the Lao government has set for it when you pay in Thai baht.

• Like 2

Strikes me as completely bizarre that the Laotian authorities only appear to accept payments in USD or THB, but not in their local currency! What on earth is their reasoning here?

And, if they are prepared to accept payments in USD and THB, why can't they go the whole hog and accept payments in other major currencies such as the EUR and GBP as well?

Strikes me as completely bizarre that the Laotian authorities only appear to accept payments in USD or THB, but not in their local currency! What on earth is their reasoning here?

For developing, poor, small countries (Laos is all these three things), foreign currency ("hard" currency) is an historically much sought commodity. A direct index of this is the size of spread between buy and sell rates, if not directly the presence of currency black market. Laos and Myanmar enforce the concept and try to make a little more difficult for people to exploit the large spread by accepting only new crisp bills.

And, if they are prepared to accept payments in USD and THB, why can't they go the whole hog and accept payments in other major currencies such as the EUR and GBP as well?

USD, unlike EUR and GBP is (like it or not) still an universally accepted currency especially in Asia.

THB is a regionally important currency used by the biggest trade partner of Laos, so it's exchanged easily. I suspect the fee can officially be paid only in USD, but the officers pocket and share the difference made when taking THB.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1