Retirement Visa Cancelled......suggestions please

I know this is not a constructive post, but I really do find it amazing that so many people have no idea whether they have extensions or visas and whether they need re-entry permits etc

If there isn't already somewhere a post from one of the mods explaining definitely the difference, then it would be a good idea for them to do one and make it super sticky. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know this is not a constructive post, but I really do find it amazing that so many people have no idea whether they have extensions or visas and whether they need re-entry permits etc

If there isn't already somewhere a post from one of the mods explaining definitely the difference, then it would be a good idea for them to do one and make it super sticky. 

The differences have been explained time and time again and peoplewill still respond with the wrong verbage. I explained to a friend one day the difference about4times and after each explanation he would say Ok I go to immigration and get by visa, I finally got up and left

I feel for you

My first time I had a education visa I had the same thing.  I took a 3 day trip to Cambodia and even went to Thai Immigration and asked them.  I am going on trip do I need to get a stamp or anything?

guy says no stamp, you okay if you come back before your 90 days... i was like okay cool

Left and came back 3 days later and greeted with a 30 day stamp and lost of my ed visa

had to start the process all over again, though my school didnt charge me for school again but had to do border run etc

now all i can say anytime u leave for any visa get a stamp unless you got a multi entry visa... it was a hard lesson:)

Exactly, I did the same thing, asked immigration, asked a Thai friend etc etc... nothing was mentioned about a re-entry permit. You can't know what you don't know so you are at the mercy of what ever the official at the border wants to tell you or doesn't want to tell you. And judging by many of the comments so far on this thread  there is still a massive amount of confusion about all aspects of the Thai visa process.

"You can't know what you don't know"

This is a hard lesson to learn but with proper questioning you can learn many times. It's just that many of us often rely (assume) on info given to us to be complete and accurate. But with a bit of reflection on your part you learn to automatically ask "are there associated issues I am not understanding or aware of"....asking that of yourself of course as communicating that too folks outside your culture \ language can be confusing and daunting to them.

ex-pat of the developing world +20 yr's....learning this lesson has cost me hundreds of thoudands of US$....and I try to re-learn it everyday....and fail often.....

BTW thanks for all the good info....I will be using it soon.

• Like 1

What is the process (time frame) and cost to a get the re-entry permit required??

Do it at  local Thai Immigration right?   need to show travel tickets dates of travel etc??? how long is it valid for?? life of original visa or extention right?

just wondering?

What is the process (time frame) and cost to a get the re-entry permit required??

Do it at  local Thai Immigration right?   need to show travel tickets dates of travel etc??? how long is it valid for?? life of original visa or extention right?

just wondering?

The re-entry permit will be issued while you wait.

You can apply for it a your local immigration office or at both airports in Bangkok 24 hours a day.

You only need passport copies. No need for a ticket. You can put whatever dates you on the form because they will not be on the re-entry permit stamp. Some offices even allow you to leave them blank.

A single re-entry permit will be valid until you use it or up to your permitted to stay date. A multiple re-entry permit can be used up until your permuted to stay date.

Thanks for that Joe,

Will pass it along to one of my retired old geezer UK mates who recently optained a Ret visa and is headed to Switzerland next month for a wedding.

I'm sure this will save him some hassle since he is clueless on immigration issues...I helped him with his retirement visa for him....cheers

You are going to have to start all over again. Since you only got a 15 day entry you will not be able to do a conversion at immigration.

The best option is go out for a single entry non-o visa,

In Phuket anyone entering Thailand on a visa exemption extension (15 or 30 days)can apply for a 90 day Non O visa provided they have: 

1. 2 days left on the entry stamp

2. Money in the bank with a letter from the bank (no more than 7 days old)

3. Income with Embassy confirmation, good for six months

The money in the bank does not have to be 800,000 on application but it does have to be in the bank for either 2 months for a first time applicant  or 3 months for previous Retirees.

The Non O holder can apply for a Retirement extension in the last 30 days of the Non O.

This is a very common process these days. Dependents of intended retirees must apply for a Non O outside Thailand. e.g. KL or Penang

Edited by PlastikbinLina

You are going to have to start all over again. Since you only got a 15 day entry you will not be able to do a conversion at immigration.

The best option is go out for a single entry non-o visa,

In Phuket anyone entering Thailand on a visa exemption extension (15 or 30 days)can apply for a 90 day Non O visa provided they have: 

1. 2 days left on the entry stamp

2. Money in the bank with a letter from the bank (no more than 7 days old)

3. Income with Embassy confirmation, good for six months

The money in the bank does not have to be 800,000 on application but it does have to be in the bank for either 2 months for a first time applicant  or 3 months for previous Retirees.

The Non O holder can apply for a Retirement extension in the last 30 days of the Non O.

This is a very common process these days. Dependents of intended retirees must apply for a Non O outside Thailand. e.g. KL or Penang

Immigration policy is 15 days remaining on an entry. What Phuket does is not true for all offices that can do the conversion.

There have been reports of people being told no because the had less than 15 days..

I feel for you

My first time I had a education visa I had the same thing.  I took a 3 day trip to Cambodia and even went to Thai Immigration and asked them.  I am going on trip do I need to get a stamp or anything?

guy says no stamp, you okay if you come back before your 90 days... i was like okay cool

Left and came back 3 days later and greeted with a 30 day stamp and lost of my ed visa

had to start the process all over again, though my school didnt charge me for school again but had to do border run etc

now all i can say anytime u leave for any visa get a stamp unless you got a multi entry visa... it was a hard lesson:)

George Bernard Shaw said it: "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place"

Foreigner: "I am going on trip do I need to get a stamp or anything?"

Immigration officer (understands that the foreigner is going on a trip within Thailand, because that's all the trips the immigration officer has ever made): "no stamp, you okay if you come back before your 90 days"

Well I did tell him I was going to Cambodia, I just didnt say I am going on a vacation, I made it quite clear I was going out of the country.  but at the time I was new, my Thai was bad and his English was not great

no doubt possible there was some confusion.

I think it depends on who you get as well

For instance when I left the Bangkok Airport that time, the immigration officer seeing me off didnt say a word, perhaps not his job to offer advice on an existing visa

however I recently left Chiang Mai to reset an new ED Visa and they saw I had a few weeks left on my existing visa and asked me when i am coming back and if I needed a Single Entry Permit to get back which was a nice thing to do

though they are not as busy as Bangkok.. in any case you live and learn and now when I do stuff i research it pretty hard even if it something I did before, since as we know things are changing all the time these days

Edited by krey

TO KEEP YOUR STAY PERMIT RE-ENTRY PERMIT
MUST BE MADE BEFORE LEAVINT THAILAND

NOTIFICATION OF RESIDENCE MUST BE
MADE EVERY 90 DAYS

I have exactly the same stamp from Jomtien/Pattaya Immigration smile.png

But the number of people who never read what they get in their passport seems to be huge ! sad.png

I had to look at my passport as I couldn't remember and I have that stamp too.

Well just count how many entries you have in your visa.... Is that hard?

You got usually

1, 2, 3 or multiple.... Woow very hard if you can not count to 3....

This makes no sense at all.

Which visa? Only Tourist visas have number of entries - this thread is  discussing extension for purpose of retirement and re-entry permits.

Not hard at all. smile.png

The entire re-entry permit process should be scrapped. At best it is just a nuisance tax.

Why is it that by extending your stay in Thailand it automatically means you will not want to leave the country at all? And if you do then you should ask permission first?

This makes no sense at all. Extensions should automatically remain in force until the end of the extended period, full stop. If the revenue is too tasty, spread the amount across all extensions and charge, say 2,500. I am sure few will have a problem.

Why have a permit in the first place? What is the worst that can happen - a person retired here spends a few weeks/months with family overseas? How can that possibly change his circumstances enough to render his original application void?

This is immigration's big chance to make some bold changes, so why not start with the most obvious...

A visa allows you to enter Thailand. An extension of stay allows you to remain in Thailand beyond the validity of the underlying visa. A re-entry permit allow s the same right of entry as a visa. So a bold move would be to deem the extension to be both the right to remain and the right to re-enter.

They just revised the Police Order for the first time in 6 years. Bold changes were not evident.

The entire re-entry permit process should be scrapped. At best it is just a nuisance tax.

Why is it that by extending your stay in Thailand it automatically means you will not want to leave the country at all? And if you do then you should ask permission first?

This makes no sense at all. Extensions should automatically remain in force until the end of the extended period, full stop. If the revenue is too tasty, spread the amount across all extensions and charge, say 2,500. I am sure few will have a problem.

Why have a permit in the first place? What is the worst that can happen - a person retired here spends a few weeks/months with family overseas? How can that possibly change his circumstances enough to render his original application void?

This is immigration's big chance to make some bold changes, so why not start with the most obvious...

A visa allows you to enter Thailand. An extension of stay allows you to remain in Thailand beyond the validity of the underlying visa. A re-entry permit allow s the same right of entry as a visa. So a bold move would be to deem the extension to be both the right to remain and the right to re-enter.

They just revised the Police Order for the first time in 6 years. Bold changes were not evident.

Re-entry permits are from the immigration act. It has not been changed since it became law in 1979 so don't expect any changes soon.

Correct, exactly what I said. Why would your extended permission to stay date not stay in force. Upon re-entry you get stamped in again, with the same extended date.

Perhaps in the past immigration officers were incapable of making such decisions at the border, which is why days are not counted and correct dates are not determined - it is reduced a simple 30, 60 or 90 day decision. However, times are changing and most of the officers I have met are far more intelligent than people trying to scam them every day. biggrin.png

And, there have been more than a few bold changes:

Extending visa exemption entry now possible,

Child supporting foreign parent now possible,

Education personnel laws and maybe degree requirements relaxed.

How about:

Limit on number of days a person can stay in the country in 12 months, as a tourist.

Scrapping of re-entry permit.

Scrapping of 90 day report.

For those who think this is pointless complaining, so what. If you are incapable of looking at a procedure you are forced to follow and make constructive suggestions on how to improve it for everyone, then you are a sheep and should not even bother to post at all - keep the spite for the pub.

Correct, exactly what I said. Why would your extended permission to stay date not stay in force. Upon re-entry you get stamped in again, with the same extended date.

Perhaps in the past immigration officers were incapable of making such decisions at the border, which is why days are not counted and correct dates are not determined - it is reduced a simple 30, 60 or 90 day decision. However, times are changing and most of the officers I have met are far more intelligent than people trying to scam them every day. biggrin.png

And, there have been more than a few bold changes:

Extending visa exemption entry now possible,

Child supporting foreign parent now possible,

Education personnel laws and maybe degree requirements relaxed.

How about:

Limit on number of days a person can stay in the country in 12 months, as a tourist.

Scrapping of re-entry permit.

Scrapping of 90 day report.

For those who think this is pointless complaining, so what. If you are incapable of looking at a procedure you are forced to follow and make constructive suggestions on how to improve it for everyone, then you are a sheep and should not even bother to post at all - keep the spite for the pub.

I'm really puzzled why you think the Thai authorities would want to improve it for everyone.  Why do you think this is their goal, or would be motivational to them? Would you vote for a government whose stated goal was to make immigration procedures easier for everyone?

If the Re-Entry permit was incorporated into a one year visa then all the Cheap Charlies would be up in arms complaining the price of a One Year Visa has doubled or tripled in price.

If my memory serves me correctly Single RE 1900 Baht  Multiple RE 3800 Baht.

Thank you. It is sometimes hard enough to follow the rules as they are without being overly concerned as to what they should be. Changes made within the recent Police Order are within the purview of the Immigration Department. Other changes that have been suggested might involve change in Legislative Acts or require Ministerial level approvals.

However, rather than saying this is pointless complaining, I suggest you  might go to Immigration HQ (still) at Suan Phlu and look for this:

suggestion-box.gif

Edited by JLCrab

I'm really puzzled why you think the Thai authorities would want to improve it for everyone.  Why do you think this is their goal, or would be motivational to them? Would you vote for a government whose stated goal was to make immigration procedures easier for everyone?

Nothing I suggest makes it much easier for me, but it would be a lot easier for them to administer.

There is a saying - stand too close to the mirror and you miss the entire picture. The Immigration Officers are so bogged down in pointless admin work that generates mountains of paper that they will never need again.

Modernizing their systems and procedures would enable them to be more proactive in other areas. The current fiasco with so many over-stayers and illegal workers are symptoms of the current procedure.

I fail to see how making a procedure more efficient could be termed as bad governance? Am I missing something?

The same happened to me years ago , I told them I didn't need it , I was doing a lot of traveling . I was in Singapore for a double tourist visa and the Muslim lady said no .Took the single and then got another retirement visa . At least you know what to do now .bah.gif bah.gif bah.gif

Many of us DO have a good idea, we know what we need and what is required.

This is called hard won experience. The only difference between my Non Imm "O" visa  and the retirement extension to it from last year was 2 new pieces of paper that I had to sign that were only introduced since the military took over.

I made up an idiots guide and modified it every year when things had changed.

It works for me at Nakhon Sawan.

[attachment=278599:Tick box for retirement extension 2014 v01.pdf]

[attachment=278600:Tick box for retirement extension 2014 v01.xls]

• Like 1

Nothing I suggest makes it much easier for me, but it would be a lot easier for them to administer.

There is a saying - stand too close to the mirror and you miss the entire picture. The Immigration Officers are so bogged down in pointless admin work that generates mountains of paper that they will never need again.

Modernizing their systems and procedures would enable them to be more proactive in other areas. The current fiasco with so many over-stayers and illegal workers are symptoms of the current procedure.

I fail to see how making a procedure more efficient could be termed as bad governance? Am I missing something?

Again -- there was a new Police Order with 'bold' changes because all those changes were within the purview of the Immigration Department. Other changes as being suggested to make things 'more efficient' involve multiple jurisdictions and Legislative Acts. While I'm not disagreeing that the end results might not be beneficial, I think there is often an almost naive estimation on this Forum as to what the reasonable 'Hey! Why not do it this way?' suggestions would entail.

If the Re-Entry permit was incorporated into a one year visa then all the Cheap Charlies would be up in arms complaining the price of a One Year Visa has doubled or tripled in price.

If my memory serves me correctly Single RE 1900 Baht  Multiple RE 3800 Baht.

You mean extension...

Remember, many (perhaps most?) never purchase a permit...

Again -- there was a new Police Order with 'bold' changes because all those changes were within the purview of the Immigration Department. Other changes as being suggested to make things 'more efficient' involve multiple jurisdictions and Legislative Acts. While I'm not disagreeing that the end results might not be beneficial, I think there is often an almost naive estimation on this Forum as to what the reasonable 'Hey! Why not do it this way?' suggestions would entail.

Point made, but one thing to take into account is the fact that change is happening, right now; ie there is momentum. Just getting government to believe there is a problem is hard enough.

With the correct knowledgeable people in the same place why not try to analyse the current procedures and put forward recommended changes - using immigration departments initiative things could be addressed, or at least highlighted as problems and marked for future attention. The deafening silence approach is becoming outdated now.

Once a bureaucracy is well, up and 'functioning' again then it's back to status quo...

Yes I know it's a right pain, I had a similar situation, when applying for a Retirment Visa it's important to get a multi entry Retirment visa, rather than a single one, which I previously had, and like you when I left Thailand for a few days, got told the same as yourself, I ended up having to go through the whole process again... Lesson learned though, but I just wish they had mentioned this when I originally applied.

All the best

You can't have a multiple entry retirement visa. You get an extension of your previous visa based on retirement if you fulfil the requirements.

Then, if you want to leave the country for any reason, you can apply for a re-entry permit, single or multiple as you need.  

Jeez, I do wish some people would post accurate information on here, and also learn the laws of the country you have chosen to live in.

It's not rocket science - and it's NOT your home country.  The laws are not the same.  Do some basic research and then you won't end up with egg on your face and a big bill.

I've had a retirement visa for three years, left the country six times and never had a problem.  It's called using your brain...

"I've had a retirement visa for three years, left the country six times and never had a problem.  It's called using your brain..." 

Did you really have a "retirement visa" for 3 years? Or did you extend your initial visa based on retirement and meeting the requirements?