Retirement Visa Cancelled......suggestions please

At Sam Koke, the Immigration office for Pathum Thani, the put a stamp in your passport after you get your extension:

NOTICE

TO KEEP YOUR STAY PERMIT RE-ENTRY PERMIT

MUST BE MADE BEFORE LEAVINT THAILAND

NOTIFICATION OF RESIDENCE MUST BE

MADE EVERY 90 DAYS

i figure it's nice of them to remind us of these requirements, and in the end, saves them work and complaints, too.

Mac

Mac  this has to be the friendliest and easiest group to get along with.

Speed of getting things done is amazing.

They tend to bend over backwards to make our trips then easy.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a retirement extension with multi entry visa. Needed as I tend to travel on a monthly basis.

A couple of trips back, when exiting, the Immigration officer at BKK airport asked if I had a multi entry. I had seen him checking the passport and had wondered if he had spotted any problem. I was able to show him the multi entry. I thanked him for his action in voicing his concern. So some officers do make a point of checking, but obviously not all as it is plainly not their responsibility so to do.

But it remains down to the extension holder to ensure they have the appropriate stamps.

I also go the multi entry route but that's mostly just to avoid a visit to a  immigration office.

I'm curious about this sentence in your post.   "I thanked him for his action in voicing his concern."  

Would you please explain what you meant by this?

The last six  times I've dealt with customs while leaving or entering the country, I swear the officer looked at my passport long enough to memorize its entire contents.  In the end it's always OK but they surely do scrutinize it carefully.

Some do, some don't. And they're not customs, they're immigration. 

A non O and a retirement visa were stamped in my passport.  Therefore, a stamp.  This website is great with terminology and language differences. 

In this case, your terminology was indeed confusing. When the vast majority of people refer to a "stamp" in their passport they mean the entry and/or exit "stamp" the immigration officer "stamps" in your passport as you enter and exit the country. Also, not all visas are "stamped" into passports ... more and more are being pasted onto a passport page.

A non O and a retirement visa were stamped in my passport.  Therefore, a stamp.  This website is great with terminology and language differences. 

In this case, your terminology was indeed confusing. When the vast majority of people refer to a "stamp" in their passport they mean the entry and/or exit "stamp" the immigration officer "stamps" in your passport as you enter and exit the country. Also, not all visas are "stamped" into passports ... more and more are being pasted onto a passport page.

Rick1812 terminology is only partially correct.

Non-imm O visa obtained by conversion from Immigration in Thailand are actually stamps.

But what he calls "retirement visa" is actually an extension of stay by reason of retirement, again it is a stamp.

I know this is not a constructive post, but I really do find it amazing that so many people have no idea whether they have extensions or visas and whether they need re-entry permits etc

If there isn't already somewhere a post from one of the mods explaining definitely the difference, then it would be a good idea for them to do one and make it super sticky. 

Yeah ... if you want to know the factual truth about visa, immigration regs ... or anything else ... just ask on on tv.com. You'll get lots of "facts," many of which contradict each other. So nice to have so many experts to sort it all out. (Sarcasm over. I feel so much better now.) 

They should have a roped off path directly from collection of retirement extension to the Re-Entry Permit desk. biggrin.png

Don't expect immigration to tell you and do your research for you....

Many guys (like me) chuck a multiple Re-Entry permit in there as soon as they get the new retirement extension, and of course one can be obtained at the airport on the way out.

A lot of aggravation for a little oversight.

Betchya don't do it again...biggrin.png

But why should I have to pay for a re-entry permi when I do my extension. I came back to Thailand on 26th May 2009 just days after I retired and I have not left since.

IF I need a re-entry permit then I will just pop 125km down the road to Nakhon Sawan and get one. OK it will cost me money for diesel and time which I have a lot of but so far I have saved 9,500 baht by NOT needing one.

• Like 1

Yes I know it's a right pain, I had a similar situation, when applying for a Retirment Visa it's important to get a multi entry Retirment visa, rather than a single one, which I previously had, and like you when I left Thailand for a few days, got told the same as yourself, I ended up having to go through the whole process again... Lesson learned though, but I just wish they had mentioned this when I originally applied.

All the best

You can't have a multiple entry retirement visa. You get an extension of your previous visa based on retirement if you fulfil the requirements.

Then, if you want to leave the country for any reason, you can apply for a re-entry permit, single or multiple as you need.  

Jeez, I do wish some people would post accurate information on here, and also learn the laws of the country you have chosen to live in.

It's not rocket science - and it's NOT your home country.  The laws are not the same.  Do some basic research and then you won't end up with egg on your face and a big bill.

I've had a retirement visa for three years, left the country six times and never had a problem.  It's called using your brain...

It's called using your brain.

Woopy doo, get you.

Seriously Thai visa rules and regs are a total nightmare. Just read the threads on here, not many people have a clue about anything.

And please the argument about your own counties rules... How many people would have a clue about what visa they would need to have in their own country?

I'm English I lived in England for 50 years, I never had to get a visa to live in England, I just did it. Pray tell me why I should know what visa I would need to live in England.

Actually they are not a nightmare only the people who want a visa or a extension of stay are a nightmare, peopletypically are lazy and want the easy way out so they do not bother to read what is required to gain a visa or extension of stay. This is not to knock people but many have a reading comprehension problem I have many times seen a very good explanation of what is requested but the response was totally insane as if the person had not even read the response to their request. Rules and regs. are not nightmares but peoplesure can be.

That's not completely true, and you're not as smart as you seem if you actually believe rules & regs are always easy to understand.

Rules and regulations are often cryptic and not easy to comprehend. This is esp. true of laws and the legal system which are predominately created by lawyers and deliberately made cryptic so that other lawyers can charge you highly exorbitant fees to decipher the legalese.

They should have a roped off path directly from collection of retirement extension to the Re-Entry Permit desk. biggrin.png

Many guys (like me) chuck a multiple Re-Entry permit in there as soon as they get the new retirement extension, and of course one can be obtained at the airport on the way out.

But why should I have to pay for a re-entry permi when I do my extension. I came back to Thailand on 26th May 2009 just days after I retired and I have not left since.

IF I need a re-entry permit then I will just pop 125km down the road to Nakhon Sawan and get one. OK it will cost me money for diesel and time which I have a lot of but so far I have saved 9,500 baht by NOT needing one.

Or just get your re-entry permit at the airport.

I feel for you

My first time I had a education visa I had the same thing.  I took a 3 day trip to Cambodia and even went to Thai Immigration and asked them.  I am going on trip do I need to get a stamp or anything?

guy says no stamp, you okay if you come back before your 90 days... i was like okay cool

Left and came back 3 days later and greeted with a 30 day stamp and lost of my ed visa

had to start the process all over again, though my school didnt charge me for school again but had to do border run etc

now all i can say anytime u leave for any visa get a stamp unless you got a multi entry visa... it was a hard lesson:)

Exactly, I did the same thing, asked immigration, asked a Thai friend etc etc... nothing was mentioned about a re-entry permit. You can't know what you don't know so you are at the mercy of what ever the official at the border wants to tell you or doesn't want to tell you. And judging by many of the comments so far on this thread  there is still a massive amount of confusion about all aspects of the Thai visa process.

Yes, indeed. So confusing to many that someone started a dedicated expat website to help it's members sort it all out. It's a great web site that has grown to cover many other subjects, but unfortunately it's not been that successful in it's original mission. There is so much contradictory and mis-information one is often not confident in who to believe ... e.g., this present discussion. For those of you who do actually give accurate information ... thank you. I just wish I knew which ones you are.

Edited by HerbalEd

You always have to get a re entry form if you go out of Thailand , now I think you have to go back to your homeland and start visa again

Incorrect, visa can be obtained in any country.

Also, non-imm. O visa for retirement can be obtained by conversion of tourist or visa exempt entry in Thailand. 

ParadiseLost, on 10 Aug 2014 - 14:14, said:

The entire re-entry permit process should be scrapped. At best it is just a nuisance tax.

Why is it that by extending your stay in Thailand it automatically means you will not want to leave the country at all? And if you do then you should ask permission first?

This makes no sense at all. Extensions should automatically remain in force until the end of the extended period, full stop. If the revenue is too tasty, spread the amount across all extensions and charge, say 2,500. I am sure few will have a problem.

Why have a permit in the first place? What is the worst that can happen - a person retired here spends a few weeks/months with family overseas? How can that possibly change his circumstances enough to render his original application void?

This is immigration's big chance to make some bold changes, so why not start with the most obvious...

Your stay in Thailand is only extended by 90 days at a time, that's why you have to report every 90 days to confirm your address.

The extension is valid for 12 months provided you report every 90 days.

Fail to report and your extension is ended.

A Visa is for entering Thailand.

An extension is to remain in Thailand.

A re-entry permit allows you to leave Thailand without ending your extension and re-enter provided the validity of your extension hasn't expired.

If you leave Thailand without a re-entry permit, your extension is cancelled and you need a Visa again to re-enter.

There is a very simple logic behind tracking your movements within a Country, registered address, re-entry permits etc and I'll give you an example that I experienced. The Thai Immigration actually has a responsibility and duty to Foreign Embassies to know the whereabouts of foreigners within Thailand. 

In 2008 I was touring China at the time they had a massive earthquake in Sichuan province which was a disaster on a massive scale, killing thousands and affecting the lives of hundreds of thousands. The news was broadcast to every Country in the world. Power, Water and Communication sources were disrupted throughout China. I had no electric, no telephone, no internet.

Unbeknown to myself, my family heard the news and contacted the British Foreign Office. Embassies of every Country in China were trying to locate foreigners from numerous Countries. Fortunately I had registered my address with the Chinese authorities as was their rules. It still took them 5 days to contact me and confirm my safety to my family.

Shit can and does happen................that's why the Thai authorities need to track your movements.

Edited by Faz

Your stay in Thailand is only extended by 90 days at a time, that's why you have to report every 90 days to confirm your address.

Not true. Failing to report get a fine up to Bt. 2,000. Not cancellation of extension. Please do not spread misinformation.

Before you challenge me on that, be aware there are moderators here with more than 10 years of experience that can confute what I'm saying.
  • Like 1

Can I ask a stupid question? Is it possible to get a re-entry permit on a single entry visa or is a re-entry permit only available on an extension of a visa?

Yes it is possible. For example you want to be allowed in country for the balance of your paid visa when you return from a side trip in a nearby country.

Can I ask a stupid question? Is it possible to get a re-entry permit on a single entry visa or is a re-entry permit only available on an extension of a visa?

Yes it is possible. For example you want to be allowed in country for the balance of your paid visa when you return from a side trip in a nearby country.

Thank you.

Not true. Failing to report get a fine up to Bt. 2,000. Not cancellation of extension. Please do not spread misinformation.

Before you challenge me on that, be aware there are moderators here with more than 10 years of experience that can confute what I'm saying.

I agree this is totally wrong.  This poster has got the situation completely backwards: it is the fact that you have been given an annual extension that triggers the need to do 90-day reports, because an annual extension allows you to stay 365 days at a time, and it is the law that anyone staying in Thailand for 90 consecutive days must report their address to Immigration each time this happens.

This is all that the 90-day report is for.  If you do not do it, you are fined 2000 baht for not doing it. Your permission to stay is not affected at all.

There is no such thing as a 90-day at a time extension triggered by your address report: if this poster bothered to read the receipt given each time you make a 90-day report he would notice that it says on the bottom in big letters "This is not an extension of stay"  just to prevent this kind of misunderstanding.

To repeat: once you have been given an annual extension, you are allowed to stay for a year, and this permission stands whether you make 90 day reports or not. It is not the 90 day report that triggers a continued extension! 

Edited by partington
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes I know it's a right pain, I had a similar situation, when applying for a Retirment Visa it's important to get a multi entry Retirment visa, rather than a single one, which I previously had, and like you when I left Thailand for a few days, got told the same as yourself, I ended up having to go through the whole process again... Lesson learned though, but I just wish they had mentioned this when I originally applied.

All the best

You can't have a multiple entry retirement visa. You get an extension of your previous visa based on retirement if you fulfil the requirements.

Then, if you want to leave the country for any reason, you can apply for a re-entry permit, single or multiple as you need.  

Jeez, I do wish some people would post accurate information on here, and also learn the laws of the country you have chosen to live in.

It's not rocket science - and it's NOT your home country.  The laws are not the same.  Do some basic research and then you won't end up with egg on your face and a big bill.

I've had a retirement visa for three years, left the country six times and never had a problem.  It's called using your brain...

Well I took my friend to the Consulate in Hull a few weeks ago where he purchased a multi entry retirement visa for £125 - all he had to do was prove he receives the state pension (these are only available outside Thailand). Its called a multi entry because he has to leave Thailand every 90 days and come back. So I think you are confusing the issue with a multi exit permit which I believe you purchase from the immigration office when you have a retirement extension.

Sorry to be negative but there are many wannabe experts giving advice on this subject and their facts are completely incorrect and confusion is setting in.

My suggestion would be; If you want the correct advice visit your local immigration office and ask your questions, generally they are very helpful, but the staff will not appreciate hearing your ideas on changing the system to accommodate your needs; it is their country and we have to fit in with them.

Its called a multi entry because he has to leave Thailand every 90 days and come back. So I think you are confusing the issue with a multi exit permit which I believe you purchase from the immigration office when you have a retirement extension.

Re-entry permit. Not exit permit.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All the best

Well I took my friend to the Consulate in Hull a few weeks ago where he purchased a multi entry retirement visa for £125 - all he had to do was prove he receives the state pension (these are only available outside Thailand). Its called a multi entry because he has to leave Thailand every 90 days and come back. So I think you are confusing the issue with a multi exit permit which I believe you purchase from the immigration office when you have a retirement extension.

he purchase a Non- Immigrant type O visa, allowed to him with the expectation he will apply for an extension based on retirement later. It is not a retirement visa per se as other folks can get the same visa.

Sorry to be negative but there are many wannabe experts giving advice on this subject and their facts are completely incorrect and confusion is setting in.

Which advice would be incorrect? In this forum there admins, moderators and contributing members with a cumulative experience of many decades. When you read postings from them be reassured, they are a correct.

Oh come on.... life isn't a free ride.

The retirement extension is darned cheap at 1800 for a year, and a Re-Entry just 1000.

Now you are retired and staying in LOS, yes you do not need one, but with the caveat that the extension is cancelled if you do leave without!

Personally I do at least a trip a year, likely more, and I like to be ready for an emergency call back to the UK. Putting the permit in the passport ASAP is just being organised.

I have several Non O visa stamps in my passport. Only the most recent issued July 2013 was as your example.

Again: that is a visa sticker not a stamp. There is also a red stamp in the example.

If you want to call this a sticker, up to you. We all know what terminology is like on here.

[attachment=278797:passport10a.jpg]

All the best

he purchase a Non- Immigrant type O visa, allowed to him with the expectation he will apply for an extension based on retirement later. It is not a retirement visa per se as other folks can get the same visa.

The consulate staff refer to it as a retirement visa, over 65 with state pension. There is no expectation to apply for an extension.